Scottish Independence

xbl

Question: Do you think a centre-right party would ever flourish in an independence Scotland?

I mean, on one hand Scotland seems to consistently vote for either SNP and Labour and the country in general appears to be more left-wing than the rest of the UK, especially England. On the other hand though, without a right-wing party being affiliated to the Tories down south, would people perhaps be more included to vote for a more right-wing party?

For me personally I am hoping for a party to appear post independence that is centre right on business matters and centre left on social justice, for me that's the ideal make up of a political party, if you can throw in some seriously out of the box thinking I think it would take Scotland to where it wants to be.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Cameron panics over Scotland

Cameron in full panic mode. Quite a decent summary from the BBC reporter there I have to say - even a hint of an attack on Darling. No doubt HB will be along shortly to say no panic all is fine in the NO camp as they simply cannot lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPpFbtXyks#t=196

Stay in Britain Cameron will say.....

Meanwhile he as Tory Prime Minister has ultimately:

Shutdown 2 out of the 3 RAF bases here. (They are happy to leave us with the WMD's though)

Shutdown Clyde Coastguard and moved that responsibility to a country offshore.

Yes the Tories love Scotland.....

David Cameron is to urge Scotland to vote against independence in September's referendum, saying: "We want you to stay."

Got to give the boy a chance to speak and show how much he wants us to stay...

In a speech in London,

Oh. Never mind.

Stay in Britain Cameron will say.....

Meanwhile he as Tory Prime Minister has ultimately:

Shutdown 2 out of the 3 RAF bases here. (They are happy to leave us with the WMD's though)

Shutdown Clyde Coastguard and moved that responsibility to a country offshore.

Yes the Tories love Scotland.....

Uh huh. Have there been any closures in the rest of the UK? I assume not...

Got to give the boy a chance to speak and show how much he wants us to stay...

Oh. Never mind.

Interesting that he can't come to Scotland, given that he spent £530,000 on foreign trips in the summer of 2012.

Interesting that he can't come to Scotland, given that he spent £530,000 on foreign trips in the summer of 2012.

I didn't realise that Cameron never came to Scotland.

I also didn't realise that democracy didn't really exist until showpiece, showbiz TV debates by party leaders.

What has that got to do with Scottish independence?

Quite a lot, when the point being made is that Cameron is encouraging Scots to stay whilst simultaneously conducting a purge on Scottish defence jobs and installations.

That would be relevant if he was targetting Scotland to the exclusion of the rest of the UK.

If in fact this isn't the case, it's a non-point.

Quite a lot, when the point being made is that Cameron is encouraging Scots to stay whilst simultaneously conducting a purge on Scottish defence jobs and installations.

That would be relevant if he was targetting Scotland to the exclusion of the rest of the UK.

If in fact this isn't the case, it's a non-point.

It would be relevant if it had had any effect on Scotland, which it obviously has. It is about the politics of the UK as a whole and their direct impact on Scotland. That's the whole point of the referendum really. So it isn't a "non-point".

For me personally I am hoping for a party to appear post independence that is centre right on business matters and centre left on social justice, for me that's the ideal make up of a political party, if you can throw in some seriously out of the box thinking I think it would take Scotland to where it wants to be.

Sounds like SNP to me.

It would be relevant if it had had any effect on Scotland, which it obviously has. It is about the politics of the UK as a whole and their direct impact on Scotland. That's the whole point of the referendum really. So it isn't a "non-point".

What?

The poster's point was that Cameron was being two faced by suggesting he wants Scotland to remain in the Union, whilst shutting Scottish defence installations. "That's how much the Tories love Scotland".

Which is a fair point only if rUK installations have been unaffected by these defence cuts. Which is of course completely bollocks as they very much have. It's a UK wide initiative.

It has f**k all to do with the Tories not loving Scotland. A total non point.

What?

The poster's point was that Cameron was being two faced by suggesting he wants Scotland to remain in the Union, whilst shutting Scottish defence installations. "That's how much the Tories love Scotland".

Which is a fair point only if rUK installations have been unaffected by these defence cuts. Which is of course completely bollocks as they very much have. It's a UK wide initiative.

It has f**k all to do with the Tories not loving Scotland. A total non point.

In an independent Scotland, Cameron wouldn't have a chance to shut anything up here, which makes it very much a valid point.

I'm going to vote no because I don't want to see Chris Hoy race in white and blue.

Totally relevant and very important to me.

Scotland really benefited from the Olympics, we now have three gold postboxes.

:lol:

In an independent Scotland, Cameron wouldn't have a chance to shut anything up here, which makes it very much a valid point.

Right - it's the standard land of milk and honey NCC line of bullshit then I see.

Sounds like SNP to me.

They are the nearest but they don't cover everything I'm looking for, I'm into powers being devolved to local areas, under the current spending constraints Holyrood has had to centralise services in an attempt to shelter the public from the mess Labour left us in. I've no idea at this point whether they intend to devolve powers when they have control over all the levers,that will come after a YES vote.

A piece from The Guardian.

Such is the pressure on companies to stay out of the independence debate that the pro-lobby considers a commitment to stay in Scotland as a vote against the no campaign. Most Scottish business leaders, when pressed, say clarity and a stable investment environment are vital. Some, however, have been more forthright.

For independence

"We do not consider [that] the outcome of any independence vote for Scotland will have an impact on the business.''
Spokesman at Wood Group oil services

There is no reason – particularly under independence – that Prestwick could not provide that[competitiveness] for Scotland." Tom Wilson, chief executive of Prestwick International Airport

"It gives us an opportunity to shed this culture of dependency that I believe has been foisted on us for many years. I would like a prosperous Scotland to come from sensible economic measures, pro-business business measures.

"Businesswise, I would like to see a tax regime that favours business and attracts business to Scotland … We do have industries and areas that would benefit. I think independence would give people the feeling that opportunities exist."
Sir George Mathewson, former chairman of Royal Bank of Scotland

"While Westminster policies may work for London, they are not working for Scotland, for our economy or society. A different approach is needed if we are to make Scotland the kind of country we all know it can and should be."
Scottish entrepreneur Jim McColl

"It now looks certain that the UK government has rejected the possibility of a second question on more economic powers for Scotland in the 2014 referendum. We believe that if our nation is to realise its full potential and if we are to deliver a fairer, more competitive and faster-growing economy, Scotland's parliament needs the full range of economic and social levers.

"In the absence of any clear statement from the other parties in the no campaign, the only choice which will result in the Scottish parliament having the fiscal powers it so badly needs is to vote yes."
Letter published by Yes Scotland, signed by McColl, Malcolm Fraser (founder of Malcolm Fraser Architects) and others

Against independence

"As Charles Moore recently said, on the back of the new Bank of England £50 note are pictures of James Watt and Matthew Boulton. They were a great partnership of Scots and English engineering talent, making the steam engines that changed the world.

"We can't say whether they would have achieved as much apart, but we do know that if you tear the banknote in two, each half is not worth £25."
John Cridland, head of the CBI

"When major political debates resound in … Westminster, Holyrood and the media, it is important to understand whether businesses feel any real-world impacts as a result. Chambers, as apolitical organisations, are interested in the business effects – not the politics.

"One year before Scotland goes to the polls, our business survey shows that the Scottish independence referendum has left most businesses unfazed. The debate has not yet had an appreciable impact on custom, employment or investment for the vast majority of UK companies … Only small numbers of businesses say that the referendum is having an effect, mainly on investment decisions in Scotland itself, which is hardly surprising.

"However, a year is a long time in both politics and economics. We will continue to monitor the impact of the independence debate on business, as this could change significantly both in Scotland and in the rest of the UK. We support the long-standing calls from our colleagues in Scottish Chambers of Commerce for better information and real clarity from both the "yes" and "no" campaigns on what the referendum's outcomes could mean for business prospects in every nation and region."
John Longworth, director-general of the British Chambers of Commerce

"The fact that Scottish firms largely feel better off about where they are at present in relation to elsewhere in the UK could explain the small number who support full independence. Many SMEs will be thinking, particularly in the current climate, … if it's not broken, why fix it?"
Alex Jackman, senior policy adviser to the Forum of Private Business, in March last year

Archived