Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

33 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe it's more that they always seem to go for a visceral level response to something like a picture of an Orange walk rather than a rational argument revolving around why having a hard border on the Tweed and Solway and a separate currency from the rest of the UK post-independence would make life better in Scotland. Come the glorious day would Spain even agree to Scotland letting into the EU, and would an independent Scotland even be able to meet the requirements to join the eurozone? Whit ye talking aboot man here's a picture of the Govan Protestant Boys or some English morris dancers to remind you why should vote Yes.

This is pretty small minded thinking tbh.....you only need to look outside the UK to see the arguments for Scottish independence.

There is a whole host of European countries, similiar in size to Scotland who have growing populations and economies that outperform ours.

Many of these do not have the benefit of our resources, but they can choose how they structure their economic and social policy to the benefit their own people.

That youtubers video is on the whole hilariously low brow .....but it is right in one respect. Scotland is stagnating .... both its population and economy. We are getting poorer in comparison to our neighbours. This is us under "union."

The "union" has and continues to cause us real harm.

Oh....and the whole Spain blocking us joining the EU misinformation fools no one. The Spanish government have repeatedly said they would have no issue with Scotland in the EU (if that's the route we choose). 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe it's more that they always seem to go for a visceral level response to something like a picture of an Orange walk rather than a rational argument revolving around why having a hard border on the Tweed and Solway and a separate currency from the rest of the UK post-independence would make life better in Scotland. Come the glorious day would Spain even agree to Scotland letting into the EU, and would an independent Scotland even be able to meet the requirements to join the eurozone? Whit ye talking aboot man here's a picture of the Govan Protestant Boys or some English morris dancers to remind you why should vote Yes.

It seems to be all they know, sadly.

Some of their posts are the kind of thing you'd see in a sketch show parodying Nats.  Some of them definitely have an underlying bigotry, or not so underlying in the case of Dingus.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

Most Scots don't.

That’s not how politics works in Scotland. Nationalist parties win the elections up here. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

"most
/məʊst/
determiner

determiner: most

the majority of; nearly all of.
"most oranges are sweeter than these"

You're illiterate as well I see.

Just for clarity do you believe that Scottish citizens that don't vote are not Scottish?

36 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Just for clarity do you believe that Scottish citizens that don't vote are not Scottish?

Not sure how you get that from wot @DeeTillEhDeh posted.

Pretty sure he's pointing to the overwhelming number of elected MSPs that command the majority in our government. Our MMP system being more democratic and representative, it would suggest that independence is a very current issue.

Under a functioning democracy; this would lead to negotiations between the two governments.

6 minutes ago, Zern said:

Not sure how you get that from wot @DeeTillEhDeh posted.

Pretty sure he's pointing to the overwhelming number of elected MSPs that command the majority in our government. Our MMP system being more democratic and representative, it would suggest that independence is a very current issue.

Under a functioning democracy; this would lead to negotiations between the two governments.

I'm sure he is but he's responding to someone saying most Scots don't support the SNP as opposed to the general electorate. 

It's obviously a major issue in Scottish politics but the other poster is objectively correct when he says the majority of Scots don't support the Nationalist parties. 

3 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I'm sure he is but he's responding to someone saying most Scots don't support the SNP as opposed to the general electorate. 

It's obviously a major issue in Scottish politics but the other poster is objectively correct when he says the majority of Scots don't support the Nationalist parties. 

How do you measure support for parties? Votes appear the most effective way. So the majority of Scots (who expressed an opinion at the last election) support parties in favour of independence. Hence the majority in the Scottish Parliament.

Alternatively you could go by membership numbers. How many members does the Scottish Labour Party have? None. There is only the UK Labour Party. Same for the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party and the so-called Scottish Lib Dems. Fictional parties with no members, because you cannot join those parties.

46 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

1) Scottish citizens are not the same as the Scottish electorate. I have English friends that vote SNP & Scottish relations in England that would vote for Indy.

2) It's a legitimate choice not to vote, but anyone who chooses to do so does so in the knowledge that their views will not be taken into account. It's undemocratic to count non-voters as favouring a particular side (It didn't stop the Yoons from fixing the 1979 referendum by this method though)

5 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

If you pick and choose your polls, of course.

At the last Holyrood election, the SNP took 40.34% of the regional vote, the Greens took 8.12% and Alba took 1.66%. That's 50.12% of votes cast, before you even begin to count Indy supporting list parties that got less than 1%

As always, you appear to be proved incorrect in your assertions

The YouTuber telling us that everything North of London is terrible.

Cheers. So we should just continue this situation, where everything North of London is terrible.

Clearly he made his way from London up North and noticed people getting whiter, fatter and f**k knows. Probably never been to the UK.

What a dick.

😄

14 minutes ago, GTee said:

The YouTuber telling us that everything North of London is terrible.

Cheers. So we should just continue this situation, where everything North of London is terrible.

Clearly he made his way from London up North and noticed people getting whiter, fatter and f**k knows. Probably never been to the UK.

What a dick.

😄

Cmon lads. A bit of self respect and dignity. Happy for Eton Tory toff millionaires lording it over us is poor form. These c**ts also terrified of losing us scroungers tells you everything.

🤞 For the season ahead 

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

It's a legitimate choice not to vote, but anyone who chooses to do so does so in the knowledge that their views will not be taken into account.

Unless you vote and your party/side doesn't win, in which case, your views still won't be taken into account. Something RuMoore is likely very familiar with.

My assertion was that most Scots aren't bothered about rehashing an argument that was settled in 2014.  A poster then said I must be wrong, because we vote independence parties in to power.  I countered this by saying that most Scots don't, which is true.  When determining the attitude of the public, a vote tally is far more accurate than the number of MSPs.

At the last Holyrood election, independence supporting parties got less than 50% of constituency votes.  Going by the list is daft as you've got all the single issue wildcard parties that muddy the waters.

Scots don't want independence - plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

My assertion was that most Scots aren't bothered about rehashing an argument that was settled in 2014.  A poster then said I must be wrong, because we vote independence parties in to power.  I countered this by saying that most Scots don't, which is true.  When determining the attitude of the public, a vote tally is far more accurate than the number of MSPs.

At the last Holyrood election, independence supporting parties got less than 50% of constituency votes.  Going by the list is daft as you've got all the single issue wildcard parties that muddy the waters.

Scots don't want independence - plain and simple.

Scot's don't want to be governed by the tories either. But we have been for the past 13 years - plain and simple.

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

"most
/məʊst/
determiner

determiner: most

the majority of; nearly all of.
"most oranges are sweeter than these"

You're illiterate as well I see.

Majority just means most i.e. over 50%

MAJORITY | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

majority
noun [ U ]

US 

/məˈdʒɔr·ɪ·t̬i, -ˈdʒɑr-/

more than half of a total number or amount; the larger part of something:
A majority of the people voted against the bill to raise school taxes.

Unsure where you got your definition from.

You should really know these things considering you're a teacher?