Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Survation poll for Scotland only

There’s an excellent quote for people in Scotland wanting a Labour  government.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s an excellent quote for people in Scotland wanting a Labour  government.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Like voting for SNP again.

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

To be honest, both of them strike me as being authoritarian parties. Things like the minimum alcohol pricing and the SNP approach to covid are authoritarian in nature, but then Labour’s outright refusal to consider safe drug consumption areas is equally terrible.

The Lib Dems used to have a good record on personal freedom but now they are just outright nimby’s. 

I don't really see those policies as "Authoritarian" as such, because the Scottish population has long proven that it just can't behave responsibly when given every opportunity to do so. To me, "Authoritarian" has an inherent degree of pointlessness, so shite like having an official 12 acceptable haircuts for men (although this might no be a bad thing in Scotland, for us non-baldies anyway), or banning you from mowing your lawn on a Sunday...(actually...)

Anyway, I see that more as a parent giving an irresponsible teenager a clip around the ear. Aye, strictly speaking "Authoritarian", but there is a part of me thinks that any responsible Government has a duty of care to step in when people are killing themselves and showing no signs of giving a f**k about their own welfare. Plenty of folk make a lot of noise about Scotland's drug death problem, so if the SNP suddenly were granted the powers to go completely bananas with narcotics legislation, would that be seen as "Authoritarian" for telling people what they can and can't do, even if it's very obviously intended to tackle a public health crisis, and might even mean people being given more liberty in certain respects?

I accept a lot of the gripes about the SNP enforcing "nanny State" on folk, but I also think there comes a point when an irresponsible populace needs it's arse kicked and the matter taken out of their own hands.

4 hours ago, Rosey1889 said:

Whenever I'm tempted to stray from my desire for Scottish Independence and return to voting Labour I very quickly recall just why I stopped doing that in the first place.

Sure the SNP performance of late has been shite but we're not talking here about a conventional political party as much as a movement for decoupling Scotland from a corrupt, unbalanced and immoral Union which now has f**k all to commend it but a bloated sense of its faded self-worth.

And if that isn't enough, then I need look only at Labour's craven capitulation over Gaza.  They just can't do the right thing.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Anyway, I see that more as a parent giving an irresponsible teenager a clip around the ear.

This is now illegal, following laws passed by the Scottish Government.

If the SNP do lose the majorit of their seats, I had thought there would be loads of meltdowns on here.  I think it's more likely we'll see an outbreak of extraordinary passive aggressiveness, people likening Scottish voters to "battered wives", which used to be quite common among some oddballs.

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If the SNP do lose the majorit of their seats, I had thought there would be loads of meltdowns on here.  I think it's more likely we'll see an outbreak of extraordinary passive aggressiveness, people likening Scottish voters to "battered wives", which used to be quite common among some oddballs.

Usually when a governing party has been performing poorly and is taking their voters for granted they get a bit of a bloody nose first and the electorate puts them on notice to get it sorted. Only after that if they fail to do so, then they capitulate. SLab had their bloody nose in 2007 and failed to sort themselves out and it’s been nearly two decades of downhill since.

For me this is the SNP’s bloody nose. Whatever you think of Labour and the alternatives it’s difficult to argue that the SNP have become stale and it’s time to give them that warning. And only after that will Swinney know he’s got just under two years to get it sorted before the main event.

However I still think the polls are wrong and the SNP will get 30 seats.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Doesn’t really matter.  If the people of Scotland think that the answer to the last 14 years of Tory misrule is Sir Keith and his merry band then so be it.

On 29/05/2024 at 12:22, Rosey1889 said:

We are significantly better off under the SNP than Wales are under Labour or the UK under the Tories. 

Apparently roughly 20% of Scotland will vote Conservative regardless of how dreadful they are.

The Lib Dems are right there, people - absolutely crying out to be loved! Maybe they smile too much?

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Apparently roughly 20% of Scotland will vote Conservative regardless of how dreadful they are.

The Lib Dems are right there, people - absolutely crying out to be loved! Maybe they smile too much?

If I was a Lib Dem I'd be happy. Labour are going to implement their policies for them and they won't have to take the blame for any cock ups this time

On 29/05/2024 at 14:09, Boo Khaki said:

I accept a lot of the gripes about the SNP enforcing "nanny State" on folk, but I also think there comes a point when an irresponsible populace needs it's arse kicked and the matter taken out of their own hands.

Of all the shite right wing phrases, "nanny state" is the shitest. By their own definition, the NHS is nanny state healthcare. Also the use of "authoritarian" as an epithet has been imported from US politics.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BFTD said:

I think that percentage can be reasonably explained by the number of English-born voters who are now in the Scottish electorate, with many in the older age demographic.

Whilst we're not producing too many Tories or royalists up here these days, there's been an ample supply of Terry and Junes moving northwards to get attractive housing bangs for their bucks.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

41 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think that percentage can be reasonably explained by the number of English-born voters who are now in the Scottish electorate, with many in the older age demographic.

Whilst we're not producing too many Tories or royalists up here these days, there's been an ample supply of Terry and Junes moving northwards to get attractive housing bangs for their bucks.

Sadly I think you are in denial. Plenty of our own local tories. And plenty of the English born are absolutely not tories.

40 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Some folk who vote Tory do so because they're from the minority in society who the party is actually for, the ownership class.

Most folk who vote Tory, though, do so because they mistakenly believe their material interests align with that ownership class. Scots are as susceptible to this error as any other group.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Sadly I think you are in denial. Plenty of our own local tories. And plenty of the English born are absolutely not tories.

Agreed. Most English-born folk I know here are pro-Indy. And blaming the olds is lazy, unevidenced, the sort of thing you get from people who use 'boomer' as if it means something.

And I speak as an Old who has never voted Tory and would never countenance doing so.

Edited by KirkieRR