Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

You can tell from the guys face at the end he thought he was on safe ground interviewing pensioners in Edinburgh and just wasn't prepared for that answer. Sacked in the morning.

7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Reform above Tories in yougov’s latest effort 

Yet Reform could still end up with no seats, Tories with more than they should and Labour with a landslide and nobody will question FPTP because that's how we've always done it.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Yet Reform could still end up with no seats, Tories with more than they should and Labour with a landslide and nobody will question FPTP because that's how we've always done it.

It's a poor state of affairs when you're left arguing for more fascist representation for a fairer democracy, yet here we are.

On the plus side, it would still be most amusing to see proportional representation doing very little for the Lib Dems; the middle child of British politics.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's a poor state of affairs when you're left arguing for more fascist representation for a fairer democracy, yet here we are.

On the plus side, it would still be most amusing to see proportional representation doing very little for the Lib Dems; the middle child of British politics.

On the contrary PR would be a disaster for Reform.  Suddenly they would have "Hitler was a nice guy" people as their MPs in parliament.  Farage success is entirely about operating in the shadows - i.e. Tufton Street and Question Time.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

On the contrary PR would be a disaster for Reform.  Suddenly they would have "Hitler was a nice guy" people as their MPs in parliament.  Farage success is entirely about operating in the shadows - i.e. Tufton Street and Question Time.

There are plenty of Hitler was a nice guy people in PR parliaments across mainland Europe, what makes you think that Gammonland would be immune the same? 

Not least given that some of those European countries were brutally conquered by actual fascists. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

There are plenty of Hitler was a nice guy people in PR parliaments across mainland Europe, what makes you think that Gammonland would be immune the same? 

Not least given that some of those European countries were brutally conquered by actual fascists. 

I don't.

However I think that pushing all these countries together blunts the options available to the fascists.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I dunno, that was my opinion for a long time too, but I've a horrible feeling it wouldn't play out like that. They might well go down the Nazi route of being disruptive in parliament and blaming it on everyone else for not being BRITTISH! Common Sense enough. As a species, we've got an awful lot of hate in our hearts, just begging for an excuse to be expressed.

But yeah, I don't think it's what they really want - they're looking to force the Conservative Party even further right than they already have, which they'll be successful in doing after this election. FPTP is of vital importance to the Conservatives being in power.

Edit: Labour are the Aberdeen of UK politics; let's leave everything the same because we're in a position of power now and that will never change  :rolleyes:

Edited by BFTD

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I dunno, that was my opinion for a long time too, but I've a horrible feeling it wouldn't play out like that. They might well go down the Nazi route of being disruptive in parliament and blaming it on everyone else for not being BRITTISH! Common Sense enough. As a species, we've got an awful lot of hate in our hearts, just begging for an excuse to be expressed.

But yeah, I don't think it's what they really want - they're looking to force the Conservative Party even further right than they already have, which they'll be successful in doing after this election. FPTP is of vital importance to the Conservatives being in power.

Yeah but at the moment Farage gets away with being "Mr Common Sense" because he only has to deal with wimpy journalists who are not willing to challenge him on anything.

He could get elected to the EU and claim it was all a charade.  Good luck trying the same with Westminster.

I suspect if he is actually elected then he will be almost forgotten before the next election.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah but at the moment Farage gets away with being "Mr Common Sense" because he only has to deal with wimpy journalists who are not willing to challenge him on anything.

He could get elected to the EU and claim it was all a charade.  Good luck trying the same with Westminster.

I suspect if he is actually elected then he will be almost forgotten before the next election.

Farage gets an incredibly easy time from so-called journalists who won't challenge his shite.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Farage gets an incredibly easy time from so-called journalists who won't challenge his shite.

.. and an incredibly bad time from foreign journalists who do. 

Honestly I have no idea why he gets so much deference.  He is a piece of shit.

I really hope you're both right, but I get the horrible feeling that it's not so much Farage, but the deep-seated desires that people are transferring onto him.

Just now, BFTD said:

I really hope you're both right, but I get the horrible feeling that it's not so much Farage, but the deep-seated desires that people are transferring onto him.

No.  He is tapping into negative sentiment and amplifying it.  He could just as easily tap into positive sentiment but that it is not what his paymasters want.

Divide and rule while the rich get richer.  Keep up the good work.

Even though there's a WM election going on, there's still some Indy polling going on

Ipsos latest figures are 51% Yes, 49% No (All with a voting intention, and 9/10 likely to vote in indyref2)

That's 49% Yes, 47% No, and 4% DK when the undecideds are included.

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Even though there's a WM election going on, there's still some Indy polling going on

Ipsos latest figures are 51% Yes, 49% No (All with a voting intention, and 9/10 likely to vote in indyref2)

That's 49% Yes, 47% No, and 4% DK when the undecideds are included.

Nobody wants the Nationalists' divisive wildcat, mate. The SNP have lost, get over it!

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I don't.

However I think that pushing all these countries together blunts the options available to the fascists.

Can you give an example of what you mean by this? 

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Are you aware of who the third and second most recent Prime Ministers of this country were? How did the rigorous scrutiny of Westminster prevent those obvious clowns from rising to the top?

No. He is tapping into negative sentiment and amplifying it. He could just as easily tap into positive sentiment but that it is not what his paymasters want.

Divide and rule while the rich get richer. Keep up the good work.

Ah right. I see we're just into conspiratorial nonsense rather than rational explanation after all.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Can you give an example of what you mean by this? 

Are you aware of who the third and second most recent Prime Ministers of this country were? How did the rigorous scrutiny of Westminster prevent those obvious clowns from rising to the top?

Ah right. I see we're just into conspiratorial nonsense rather than rational explanation after all.

I was thinking of maverick dictators such as Galtieri or Saddam Hussein who thought a nice little war might distract attention and boost their popularity.

Orban might enjoy a military stand off with Romania but it is not possible while both are in the EU.

Farage could say the EU is a disaster and should be abolished but he can hardly claim Westminister should be abolished - even if it is a disaster.

But Orbán can run a coach and horses through the EU's common migrant and refugee policies*, with serious consequences for the internal politics of other member states as well as border security for Hungary's non-EU neighbours. The instability created by far or at least radical right political leadership brings about the conditions for more movements of the same type elsewhere. 

The idea that right-wing movements are so unserious that increased political power would only discredit them did not exactly go well in the largest and most obvious historical case studies of interwar Europe either. 

* Not that these are pristine or particularly humanitarian; they remain however 100x preferable to Fidesz's back of a fag packet 'defending (white) Christian Europe' model though. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I was thinking of maverick dictators such as Galtieri or Saddam Hussein who thought a nice little war might distract attention and boost their popularity.

Orban might enjoy a military stand off with Romania but it is not possible while both are in the EU.

Farage could say the EU is a disaster and should be abolished but he can hardly claim Westminister should be abolished - even if it is a disaster.

Well, he could. It would take a while, but to start with he could claim that he needed to bypass parliament in order to Get Things Done. He'd have recent precedent to build on there. His problem is that he's sixty years old now, so patience isn't going to be the watchword.