Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Fire fighters comments seem encouraging, says there has been contact with people inside, so sounds like there are people alive inside.

Earlier in the night it seemed like everyone was able to escape the pub, most eye witnesses were shaken but giving a positive outlook. That statement was worrying, unable to give specific number of people trapped makes me think it is we into double figures and many many serious injuries.

Edward Waltham, a retired fire officer from Glasgow

I was 50 yards from Clutha Bar, heading into it when I heard an explosion and looked up to see rising smoke cloud. My friend had headed to the pub ahead of me so I knew he was in there. Both of us retired after 30 years in the fire service so I knew right away it was a serious situation. I ran to the front door and helped clear casualties from the totally collapsed left side of the doorway. There were many injured people. I phoned emergency services and reported a major incident. My friend was rescued from the left window. He is badly injured in the Victoria Hospital. Ironically, I was in charge of the initial fire service attendance at a helicopter crash at Eastwood Toll 24 years ago. I'm lucky to be alive tonight. One minute earlier and I would have been in there.

That post from Ryan on the bbc (02:23) has been changed from

to

:unsure:

Very strange. I suppose they'll want the public to stay calm, near enough confirming that there is people dead would cause problems

Fire units moving away and a it looks like they are readying a dog to go in. I don't know what role dogs have in the Fire service.

They use dogs to search for trapped people In the rubble. They are used to search collapsed buildings after earthquakes.