Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

It isn't really harsh. Looking at the wreckage and listening to eyewitness accounts, it was pretty much a given that the crew wouldn't have survived the crash....most people expected that.

Awful as it is, the thought of someone out enjoying a night out and dying in the perceived safety of a pub in such circumstances would have been utterly unthinkable.

In the crash investigation, the possibility will be that the actions of the crew (ie, bringing it down on a seemingly innocuous and flat-roofed building instead of a busy road, the apparent modicum of control in the landing preventing an explosion etc) prevented further fatalities and they'll be remembered as heroes.

Black box recording..."I think we're going to have an emergency landing. OK, aim for that pub, try and avoid the water, I hate getting wet. Aye we can have a pint when we get doon."

Sounds more like the Toby Jug in Waterloo Street.

I've no idea, I just remember it being immediately over a bridge.

Looking at Google Maps, that's the place I was thinking of.

Edited by ayrmad

One of the cops in the chopper was part of my missus extended family, and she's been confirmed as dead to the family over night.

Condolences Lex - must be a horrible time for your family.

Just found out on FB a good mate of mine was planning to go to that gig last night, but something came up and he didn't bother at the last minute.

Black box recording..."I think we're going to have an emergency landing. OK, aim for that pub, try and avoid the water, I hate getting wet. Aye we can have a pint when we get doon."

The pilot would have been trying to get to the river, if an aircraft is coming down at night the pilot tries to aim for darkness. A second more and they'd have done it.