Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

An extended member of my family was in the Clutha last night, going to see the Ska band playing. Thankfully he's alive, but has suffered a broken spine in 3 places as a slab from the roof landed on him. An absolutely horrific injury for him, but at least he's still alive. Others weren't so lucky.

Terrible news, hope he recovers. As you say, things could have been a lot worse.

Condolences also to Lex on his loss.

Hadn't heard of the Clutha until last night but was immediately worried incase some of my mates were caught up in it and I'm sure many of us feel like that. Dunno about anyone else but I keep having "there but for the grace of God" type thoughts today.

Terrible news, hope he recovers. As you say, things could have been a lot worse.

Condolences also to Lex on his loss.

Hadn't heard of the Clutha until last night but was immediately worried incase some of my mates were caught up in it and I'm sure many of us feel like that. Dunno about anyone else but I keep having "there but for the grace of God" type thoughts today.

I think you need to go and see someone about that.

Someone on my Facebook trying to say it's the pilots fault and he should have landed in the Clyde. Some people completely baffle me.

The eyewitness that the BBC first used, Fraser, is a QP man that played in Esperanza so it's good to hear he is alright. Condolences to Lex & everyone else who may know someone who wasn't so fortunate.

Maybe he was aiming for the river. Who knows? I have never liked helicopters. They are inherently unstable. I was given a gift of a joyride in one but never used it. Here's hoping the injured make good recoveries but some injuries sound awful.

Can we save the arguements for another thread please?

Let's for once all just be together on one thing? It's a fucking heart wrenching situation and the police, fire crews and general public did and still are doing a tremendous job.

Yup. Massive respect to the fine people of Glasgow, and the amazing emergency services. Sometimes it takes a horrible tragedy to see people at their absolute best.

Some of the comments on this thread make me ashamed of my fellow countrymen and sickened that people can make light of this awful tragedy. Trying to be funny is not smart and shows a real lack of humanity. I trust the worst offenders don't have the benefit of this forum to spout their bile in the future.

And at the other end of the scale there are the folk like you who just love a good old disaster/tragedy so they can wallow in it and get all judgemental.

Personally, I prefer the ones who make me smile.

I agree with those two posts. We wouldn't want people actually trying to find out information, or having opinions.

Didn't realise you had been appointed official griefmeister in charge.

what does it matter what the injuries are, how serious the caualties are etc etc

The tragedy as a whole is enough, the way the events are reported sometimes is ridiculous.

As for people making light hearted comments, another poster is right, it's a local impact for us. It effects us all differently.

just a little thing like my boy getting upset because it's the helicopter we see taking off every night and flying over Great Western Road above our house has made me feel a bit differently today.

Thoughts to all...

And at the other end of the scale there are the folk like you who just love a good old disaster/tragedy so they can wallow in it and get all judgemental.

Personally, I prefer the ones who make me smile.

Depends whether you understand the difference between alleged 'faux grief' and genuine empathy.

It's always puzzled me that some incidents are fair game on here whilst others aren't. What's the criteria for some people I wonder?

Horrible accident. Thoughts go out to anyone affected.

Aye, it's okay if the disaster is faraway, but if it's in the UK then sometimes the 'Diana' effect kicks in and the grief junkies are out in force.

It's always puzzled me that some incidents are fair game on here whilst others aren't. What's the criteria for some people I wonder?

Horrible accident. Thoughts go out to anyone affected.

My criteria was that lots of posters on here wouldn't even know whether their family and friends weren't involved at the time of some posts.

Reporter: 'theres blood on your shirt Jim'

Jim Murphy: '......Its not mine'

Talk about opportunistic.

Not to sound like I'm making jokes but when Jim Murphy said that I thought he looked and sounded a psychopath.