Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

The acts of those in the City have received huge amounts of praise and rightly so.

Some residents here though continue to let us down.

Just went past Debenhams and a guy been arrested for standing with a shoebox and "Clutha" written on the side of it.

A supposed collection for the victims......

Am I missing something here? Sounds like a nice gesture to me.

Unless they thought he was just an opportunistic beggar with no intention of handing the money over.

What would the point of a mayday call have been? I'd imagine they wouldn't have had much time do anything at all, and calling in would've been a low priority.

Isn't that the point in having 3 people on board, constant commutation with the ground?

Similar when you see a police car involved in a high speed chase, it's not the driver doing the talking it's the passenger relaying info

I'd say a mayday call would be high priority, it would allow emergency services on the ground to response as quickly as possible, Apollo 13 managed to put out a mayday despite being in space!

You would think there would have been some sort of radio message to inform people a helicopter was going down

Isn't that the point in having 3 people on board, constant commutation with the ground?

Similar when you see a police car involved in a high speed chase, it's not the driver doing the talking it's the passenger relaying info

I'd say a mayday call would be high priority, it would allow emergency services on the ground to response as quickly as possible, Apollo 13 managed to put out a mayday despite being in space!

Sounds like the engine cut out and they went straight into free fall from a low altitude. Apollo 13 had days to talk to Houston, they had seconds. Trying to restart the engines or manouvering the helicopter towards the Clyde would have been more than enough to do, and a mayday call wouldn't have significantly helped, the services were there in minutes anyway. And can you imagine the state of mind of the passengers?

Edited by welshbairn

Guest The Phoenix

Unimportant as she is - I see over 46k have signed an online petition to have katie hopkins removed from media due to her comments on Saturday. I'm not sure how that even works?

Div kens the score.

He's sorted out higher profile names than Hopkins.

Unimportant as she is - I see over 46k have signed an online petition to have katie hopkins removed from media due to her comments on Saturday. I'm not sure how that even works?

She's regularly on This Morning and has been presenting The Wright Stuff while that other guy is in the jungle. She often gets reeled out to say something controversial and bump up viewing figures.

Of course, people could just stop watching the stuff she's on but when you've got a pitchfork you may as well chase someone with it and leave common sense well alone.

To think that Tam Cowan was suspended over something which was a fraction of the offence this stupid bint has caused.

Not been watching/listening to the coverage that much but just seen that McGarrigal guy spouting a load of pish on the telly. Does he think that rescue squads can just walk into the rubble and pluck survivors out without any problem? Fair enough his old man is in there somewhere but everyone has been working flat out to help and it's not an easy job.

I don't think he should of been put in that position anyway.

The guy was in no fit state to be interviewed

Went over today for a nosey as I was in the city centre. Obviously tons of streets were blocked so we couldn't be too near it but there was a deafening silence and it was just so eerie. Pretty mental and kinda just sunk in that this happened in the city I live in and not in London or something. A guy came up to us and said two of his friends were at the gig that was in there and can't get a hold of them.

Not been watching/listening to the coverage that much but just seen that McGarrigal guy spouting a load of pish on the telly. Does he think that rescue squads can just walk into the rubble and pluck survivors out without any problem? Fair enough his old man is in there somewhere but everyone has been working flat out to help and it's not an easy job.

I don't think I would be acting too rationally in that position and it sits pretty uncomfortably with me that this was broadcast. That's a desperate man and his grief being exploited for a story.

Yep. I said exactly the same about the father and daughter that were interviewed on sky yesterday. Its painful for them, yes, but let the emergency services do their jobs.

You could tell he was at witts end when he started accusing the services of putting a priority on the recovery of the Helicopter and not his fathers remains. Since we now have a rough idea of how bad it is in there, the building having several thick brick walls that have collapsed, the heavy roof etc, it seems pretty clear that the chopper was gonna have to be removed either way.

He needs to head home and let them do thier jobs.

It's the main problem with 24 hour rolling news unfortunately - the coverage of this incident has been filled with pointless speculation, outright padding and interviews with people who really shouldn't be being interviewed due to being in deep shock or at the anger stage of the grieving process.

It's the main problem with 24 hour rolling news unfortunately - the coverage of this incident has been filled with pointless speculation, outright padding and interviews with people who really shouldn't be being interviewed due to being in deep shock or at the anger stage of the grieving process.

I said the same earlier on - Sky have done the immediate aftermath coverage, have a reasonable idea of there being no more fatalities, so need to move the story on, and it just wouldn't do if all the families of victims were so damned reasonable.

I seen a more in depth interview with the father of the other guy who's missing - he of the " sod health and safety, get them oot" mantra. I'm sure he also said something along the lines of "There were no heroes in the fire service anymore".

My dad said at the weekend, the first he heard was a news item just after 10. A local press reporter had heard a chopper over bargeddie with a spluttering engine.

Seems strange that story hasn't been mentioned since.

Perhaps if your dad had informed the authorities they would know, they'll certainly want to know.