Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

This McGarrigle character is making a complete tit of himself shut yer hole and let the emergency services do their job.

Considering a John McGarrigle snr is one of the dead, I would maybe give the guy a break?

Found out last night a mate who had just moved back home from England is one of those in hospital :(

At least he is alive. Stay strong Normski.

Basically he hoped the pub was full of Catholics (he used ******) black people or police.

Nice. On twitter I take it? Mobile phones should include an IQ test before you are allowed to post.

That said, should posting something like that be a criminal offence?

Probably not the time or place for that debate here.

Nice. On twitter I take it? Mobile phones should include an IQ test before you are allowed to post.

That said, should posting something like that be a criminal offence?

Probably not the time or place for that debate here.

Yea on twitter, theirs a screen shot earlier in the thread.

So reports are saying the helicopter made no emergency transmission beofre going down, also the chopper has been removed from the pub, apparently it was still in one peice

I think if was that McGarrigle lad everyone was talking about was on the BBC earlier, I appreciate he's lost his dad and he's clearly in some state but he was moaning at the services there for "Caring more about getting a chopper out of there than my dad, I just want him out" I won't lie it annoyed me a little bit, cause clearly they need to remove the chopper to get more access to the site and for all we know his father and possibly some of the unnamed dead are trapped by it.

I'm sure I'd not be in any state to talk, much less think rationally in that situation, but please let the services do thier job.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

I think if was that McGarrigle lad everyone was talking about was on the BBC earlier, I appreciate he's lost his dad and he's clearly in some state but he was moaning at the services there for "Caring more about getting a chopper out of there than my dad, I just want him out" I won't lie it annoyed me a little bit, cause clearly they need to remove the chopper to get more access to the site and for all we know his father and possibly some of the unnamed dead are trapped by it.

I'm sure I'd not be in any state to talk, much less think rationally in that situation, but please let the services do thier job.

His point, wehther valid or not, was that different action was being taken due to it being a police helicopter than if it were a civilian aircraft.

Police have announced that the aircraft was still intact when it crashed and that no mayday was made, a bit of a weird one?

His point, wehther valid or not, was that different action was being taken due to it being a police helicopter than if it were a civilian aircraft.

Police have announced that the aircraft was still intact when it crashed and that no mayday was made, a bit of a weird one?

I appreciate that, but it doesnt change that they needed to remove it to gain access, possibly to more remains.

Came accross this on the facebook support page

"Commenting on the very difficult and complex incident, Assistant Chief Officer for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, David Goodhew, Incident Commander said: “Part of the reason that it’s been so difficult for the emergency services to undertake the rescue is because this particular premises used to be a tenement building and it was three or four storeys high.

“The roof that can be seen is actually the third floor covering – there are three roofs in the property. The quantity of rubble was far greater than a normal roof and it was substantial in every area you looked at. Also walls collapsed inside the building, which again caused more rubble. The walls are substantial, constructed of sandstone and almost one metre thick at the bottom.

“The fire service, along with our emergency services colleagues considered all options and it was considered not appropriate to try and remove the front wall because of its substantial nature and also the fact that it would have caused further collapse onto some of the casualties where they were trapped in the premises itself.

“We are continuing with further searches and we anticipate that the search will be concluded shortly.”

The acts of those in the City have received huge amounts of praise and rightly so.

Some residents here though continue to let us down.

Just went past Debenhams and a guy been arrested for standing with a shoebox and "Clutha" written on the side of it.

A supposed collection for the victims......

The acts of those in the City have received huge amounts of praise and rightly so.

Some residents here though continue to let us down.

They'll have to go far to top the Old Firm's weekly "shame upon the city" act, never mind the thousands of smackheads.

The idea that Glasgow is somehow different or its inhabitants deserve credit for helping people in a major disaster is truly desperate pish.

They'll have to go far to top the Old Firm's weekly "shame upon the city" act, never mind the thousands of smackheads.

The idea that Glasgow is somehow different or its inhabitants deserve credit for helping people in a major disaster is truly desperate pish.

Again i dont see what everyones saying, i dont think people are specifically saying that Glasgow is better than anywhere else. Its just people trying to say good things in a bad time, they are hardly going "See? this proves we are better than you"

Regardless of where this took place, similar things would be said.

If you've been personally affected by events, coping mechanism no. 4517 is "don't login to an online football forum, otherwise you might see 'distasteful comments'". Pretty straightforward stuff.

Can only imagine the outrage among the professional griefmongers once they find out about the war in Syria.

Strangely, when people are personally affected by something (and I count at least 3 people on this thread with relatives / close friends killed or injured) a certain amount of human sympathy and tact is called for.

Those that feel it is either the place to make jokes, or political statements, or be "edgy" in the name of their "box-office status" are probably just illustrating their shallowness and lack of social skills.

feeling awful for the families affected by the events on friday, such terrible news.

find it absolutely incredible though that despite being a relatively quiet part of glasgow in terms of nightlife, the shadow defence secretary, editor of the scottish sun and the chief fire officer the last time there was a fatal helicopter accident in glasgow were all within 200 or so yards of the pub. fucking incredible!

feeling awful for the families affected by the events on friday, such terrible news.

find it absolutely incredible though that despite being a relatively quiet part of glasgow in terms of nightlife, the shadow defence secretary, editor of the scottish sun and the chief fire officer the last time there was a fatal helicopter accident in glasgow were all within 200 or so yards of the pub. fucking incredible!

Was there an event on at St Andrews in the square, just off the salt market?

If you've been personally affected by events, coping mechanism no. 4517 is "don't login to an online football forum, otherwise you might see 'distasteful comments'". Pretty straightforward stuff.

Can only imagine the outrage among the professional griefmongers once they find out about the war in Syria.

Maybe, just maybe those affected are coming on here to chat with like minded people as it's the only way or means that they can do this , or share experiences or feelings of grief.

We're all different and although you personally think it's the wrong thing to do, don't judge others ( as you normally do), by your own opinions.

Edited by Unleash The Nade

What would the point of a mayday call have been? I'd imagine they wouldn't have had much time do anything at all, and calling in would've been a low priority.

What would the point of a mayday call have been? I'd imagine they wouldn't have had much time do anything at all, and calling in would've been a low priority.

You would think there would have been some sort of radio message to inform people a helicopter was going down?