Ravel Morrison

Mr. Brightside

A well to do friend of a friend was selling his house a few years ago and Riordan and his wife showed up to view it. This was just after he'd signed for Celtic. The only question that Riordan asked during the viewing was "is there a decent chinky nearby here?" :lol:

Having said that I can understand maybe finding food in China a bit difficult. Not being able to eat food in Italy is fucking madness. I worked for a week in Milan last year and the food is amazing. My work canteen was huge, had a pizza oven for freshly cooked pizzas, massive salad bars, huge crates of fresh Sicilian oranges, freshly cooked and carved meat and fish. Also, they all go and sit down for a full hour in their teams, actually take time out rather than eating at their desks the way we do in the UK.

I can relate to the food bit by Riorden in China. My first trip to the supermarket in Japan took me 2.5 hours!

You can feel quite isolated and dependant on others at first because of everything being so different. 

No excuses for struggling in Italy though.

Whilst I agree with all of the slating of Riordan as he is clearly a Brit-abroad, steak pie loving jake, having chicken fried rice as a pre-game meal does seem a bit mental to me.

I'm going to guess it wasn't chicken fried rice at all, but that was what he guessed it was without actually asking.

• 8 months later...

I have posted about Ravel before, but by god what an absolute waste. 

Allardyce when in charge at West Ham had some incredibly good signings, but for sheer ability alone, Ravel was definitely the best. The way he would glide with the ball was an absolute joy at times, his vision for a pass was up there with Alex Song for instance. He literally had it all. 

His display away to Spurs when West Ham played with no recognised striker and won 3-0 will go down as his best game, purely because of this goal. 

However personally speaking a couple weeks later we faced Fulham at home, we were 1 nil up, but the game was incredibly boring. Then Ravel came on, and made the last fifteen minutes some of the best football I have ever seen.  He transformed the game and West Ham went onto win 3-0. 

Two seasons back I watched him play for Lazio in a friendly away to Brighton, he scored and generally bossed the game. I don't think anyone thought he would bother his arse trying to learn Italian, and fell out of favour with the management. 

Will this move to Mexico sort him out? Most probably not, he has had numerous chances before, I don't see why this one would change him. 

A truly incredible football, an incredible shame he has wasted so many opportunities. 

10 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Two seasons back I watched him play for Lazio in a friendly away to Brighton, he scored and generally bossed the game. I don't think anyone thought he would bother his arse trying to learn Italian, and fell out of favour with the management. 

Will this move to Mexico sort him out? Most probably not, he has had numerous chances before, I don't see why this one would change him. 

A truly incredible football, an incredible shame he has wasted so many opportunities. 

I'm sure there was a story about him at Lazio - he got his agent to fly over Lucozade and Mars bars because he didn't like the funny food in Italy.

I mean fucking hell Ravel.  You cretin.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure there was a story about him at Lazio - he got his agent to fly over Lucozade and Mars bars because he didn't like the funny food in Italy.

Before his first proper pre-season with West Ham, he had to cut his training short as he claimed he had toothache, club doctors took a look, so it was gruesome in there so sent him to a dentist. Had 7 teeth removed. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

From the page before, no less:

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:40, killiefan27 said:

Apparently as a youth player his agent used to fly out to bring him Mars bars and Lucozade because he thought foreign food would poison him...

Cl4EVzzWYAA0eV4.jpg

I remember a few months ago reading someone talking about the German youth structure vs. the English one, how the Germans actually provide and require an upbringing for their children. They make sure they're educated and stay in school and such, partly to make sure there's something there for the players to fall back on when/if they leave football and partly because, well, they fucking should. Ravel probably isn't the only person completely failed by his youth development, he's just more high profile because of the club he was at and the odd moment of brilliance on the pitch. The quote about the Lucozade sums it up perfectly.

3 hours ago, sjc said:

With a diet of lucozade and Mars bars I'm surprised Ravel Morrison hasn't tried a move to Scotland....

Ooft. Give the guy a break sjc. He's well on the way to totally wasting his talent and hitting the footballing gutter but he hasn't sunk that low yet. :whistle