The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

5 minutes ago, deej said:

I've not watched the video but how the f@ck can all the numbers added together = a negative number?? 

Don't watch the video, it makes even less sense when they try to explain it. My brain is sore.

30 minutes ago, deej said:

I've not watched the video but how the f@ck can all the numbers added together = a negative number?? 

I understand it somewhwat. But basically it's a huge leap to go from "here's proof of something different", "and here's some proof of something else different".. bang them together and you get -1/12. 

Anyway, apologies again!

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I understand it somewhwat. But basically it's a huge leap to go from "here's proof of something different", "and here's some proof of something else different".. bang them together and you get -1/12. 

Anyway, apologies again!

I'm not sure i'm ready to accept your apology tbh, this has devastated me

1 hour ago, deej said:

Had an exam yesterday and one tomorrow, I'll catch up before the end of the week I promise emoji106.png

Guess is in for the tie break

FFS get your priorities right, man...

I see His Eminence has already given you a scolding. As you were

Edited by Jacksgranda

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Anyway, apologies again!

It builds up from a dodgy premise that if infinity could be either 1 or zero we'll split the difference and call it a half. This is from the perspective of someone who gave up on maths when calculus brought up "approaching infinity" and boggled my mind.

I looked it up after submitting my guess yesterday. When you actually look at the equation that is generated from the sequence the graph of that equation has a bit of it between 0 & -1 that is negative. When you integrate that negative part you get -1/12. Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv dodgy to say that the sum of all integers '=' -1/12. 

Apology accepted though.

9 minutes ago, Leeds Saint said:

I looked it up after submitting my guess yesterday. When you actually look at the equation that is generated from the sequence the graph of that equation has a bit of it between 0 & -1 that is negative. When you integrate that negative part you get -1/12. Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv dodgy to say that the sum of all integers '=' -1/12. 

Apology accepted though.

Hmmmm... The question put to us by Cardinal was 

•  In mathematics (and in particular, the methods of zeta function regularization and Ramanujan summation), the infinite series of natural numbers, 1+2+3+4 (all the way up to infinity) is given a finite value... or to put it another way.... adding every integer together between 1 and infinity returns what number? 
    • A couple of things to note.... this isn't a joke question and the the formula does have some uses in applied mathematics (God knows what). The answer isn't infinity, or infinity squared or anything like that. It is just an ordinary number. 

no mention of integration, if I knew there was integration involved I'd have obviously guessed -1/12. 

Of course you accept his apology, you won ;)

1 hour ago, deej said:

Hmmmm... The question put to us by Cardinal was 

no mention of integration, if I knew there was integration involved I'd have obviously guessed -1/12. 

You're forgetting "zeta function regularization and Ramanujan summation", which is the main, er, differentiator, here. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

You're forgetting "zeta function regularization and Ramanujan summation", which is the main, er, differentiator, here. 

Forgetting/completely ignoring ... same thing really

Ok moving on from the bullshittery that is adding numbers somehow gives a negative number, I got 6/10 on todays quiz, and a belter of a 9/10 for thursday, hope my guesses are as good in my exam :thumsup2