The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

21 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

im-appalled.jpg?w=720

What should it be called?! The OCD in me would like to keep the tile on one line! But I'm open to suggestions :)

Stop stealing Div's lines! How about the "The P&B Quiz Super League (and Challenge Cup) brought to you by Fosters Lager, when we piss in the pool we bottle it and export it as 'quality lager': Warning, questions may have an Antipodean flavour". Or TP&BQSLACC for short.

Edited by Swarley
spelling

13 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Stop stealing Div's lines! How about the "The P&B Quiz Super League (and Challenge Cup) brought to you by Fosters Lager, when we piss in the pool we bottle it and export it as 'quality lager': Warning, questions may have an Antipodean flavour". Or TP&BQSLACC for short.

I like it. It's catchy. It's unique. Slightly concerned that someone might see TP&BQSLACC and not know what it stands for. Anyway, it might all be a moot point, since I tried to edit the title again and I don't know if it's cos I've done it too many times or I'm being a klutz, but it won't let me edit it any more. 

Anyway, in the Premiership, Leeds Saint has rocketed to the top of the league and is reliving glories from days gone by (a bit like Leeds Utd). Still a few results still to come in, Frankie might have something to say about all this. 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 6 9       15
2 WhiteRoseKillie 10x© 3x② 6 9       15
3 Eckthearab 5x② 1xBZ 7 8       15
4 Edmund 4x② 1xBZ 8 6       14
5 Deej 4x② 1xBZ 7 7       14
6 Scotfree   7 7       14
7 Alang1993 5x© 3x② 1xBZ 3 9       12
8 WILLIEA 1x© 5 6       11
9 Jagfox99 1xBZ 5 5       10
10 Blackislekillie 2xBZ 5 4       9
11 Frankie S 1x© 1x② 8         8
12 Welshbairn   5 2       7
13 The_Kincardine   6         6
14 Audaces Fortuna Juvat   6         6

And in the other place, Tynieness is still sitting pretty, and Cowden0 and gkneil are adjusting well to life in the professional leagues. 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Tynieness 1x② 9 6       15
2 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 8 6       14
3 Cowden0   5 6       11
4 gkneil   7 3       10
5 Peasy23   6 4       10
6 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 5 5       10
7 Cardinal Richelieu 1xBZ 3 6       9
8 Jacksgranda Some carpet 4 5       9
9 Ross.   5 3       8
10 Dee Man   4 4       8
11 Swarley   3 5       8
12 Supermik   5 2       7
13 Dee_62   3 4       7
14 SlipperyP   2 4       6
15 Marr1   2 4       6
16 Livi Lion   4         4
17 Gman_1985   4         4
18 BigBo10   2         2
19 Die Hard Doonhamer   2         2

A fairly uninspiring 7/10. Got both Aussie sports questions wrong, as is customary. Didn't know the TV series. Knew 6 of the other 7. Guessed backgammon. 

In other quizzing news, we managed to win two pub quizzes back to back last night, the first in a packed field of 43 teams at the Brass Monkey in Leith. 

Edited by Frankie S

3 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I picked one of the double answers in the cycling one, but was wrong. 

Me too, but only because one of them is usually correct when they fuck it up, so can't really complain.

16 hours ago, Ross. said:

Probably the two best stadiums in Switzerland for watching football. Basel creates a tremendous amount of noise no matter how big the crowd, and the Stade de Suisse(to give it its Sunday name) is extremely comfortable with a great view no matter where you sit, unless you get stuck behind the ultras in the away section.

Drinks are expensive here if you are a tourist. Fortunately after 4 years of working here I am now on a fully fledged "Swiss wage" so relative to what I earn it's actually not that bad. I do drink less here and I do complain about the prices, but those two things are absolutely not related.

As for my filthy alcoholism, I put that down to being a schemey jake at heart.

Was certainly impressed with both of them, although Basel must do creative accounting when it comes to announcing their crowd. It was barely half filled and they claimed over 23,000. We were in the upper bit of the home end and there were more people smoking dope than I have ever experienced before, even in numerous Dutch games. Noisy bunch too, but very friendly.

Lots of riot police out for the YB game, both at Stade Suisse and the railway station, but we saw no trouble.

4 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Was certainly impressed with both of them, although Basel must do creative accounting when it comes to announcing their crowd. It was barely half filled and they claimed over 23,000. We were in the upper bit of the home end and there were more people smoking dope than I have ever experienced before, even in numerous Dutch games. Noisy bunch too, but very friendly.

Lots of riot police out for the YB game, both at Stade Suisse and the railway station, but we saw no trouble.

Riot police and dope smoking is fairly common here for the football. Last time I was in the away end at Bern there were more police lining our path to the away end than there were in the away end. Had that happen a few times and you see it regularly with away fans visiting Aarau. Much prefer a drink at the games than a smoke but both are generally done in large amounts. Fantastic being at a game from March or so through until October when it's relatively warm and the beer is cold. Under current conditions it's fucking horrible.

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

There's going to be points deductions if you don't tell me how much you paid for a round / beer in Basel!!!!

About the equivalent of a fiver as I recall. I'm sure you could pay more in posher places though. In Zurich near the railway station on route to Falkirk's one and only European away game in Liechtenstein, the less said about that the better.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

There's going to be points deductions if you don't tell me how much you paid for a round / beer in Basel!!!!

Standard for a "pint" is around 9CHF, give or take a franc either way depending on where you are drinking. I say "pint" as it's a half litre and not a proper pint.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The bar I was in was as close to a dive that you probably get in Switzerland. Just realised it was back in 2009, time's fair speeding up.

Was around a fiver equivalent when I moved here 4 and a half years ago. CHF got a bit stronger when they removed the cap on the EUR, but mostly it was the Brexit vote that done it. Had a few family and friends visit since I moved here, but none since that vote. Whoever comes over again next will be getting a hell of a shock.

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It was 17CHF for a pint and a bottle of beer in the bar we used bar in Basel on Saturday, and pretty similar elsewhere. Not good for an alcohol lover such as I.

As for the points deduction - just kick me out of the cup instead :thumsup2