The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

An amazingly lucky 8/10. Must have forgotten to send this post before but I added a PM to @The_Kincardine explaining a controversial  technique for guessing CEO's of American companies. I'd imagine he was quite nonplussed without the context.

Well? What is it? I shared my controversial technique for getting Japanese island questions right! Got a 6 today and missed a couple of sitters so happy enough.

Anyway, in the play-offs...

I asked the question, How many moons has Uranus? The correct answer was 27. And they're named after Shakespeare characters. 

Now DA thought it was a trick question and plumped for 0. He then threw a curve-ball by saying "Who knew Uranus had 15 moons"... not sure if NothernJambo saw this or not but he went for 15. DA was gubbed anyway cos Pickled "Smarty Pants" Herring knew the answer... 

BWV went for 37... so he was closer than Northern Jambo...

So what I'm saying in a very roundabout way is that The_Kincardine / Pickled_Herring is promoted and BWV keeps his SWL place.     

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well? What is it? I shared my controversial technique for getting Japanese island questions right! Got a 6 today and missed a couple of sitters so happy enough.

Has everyone done Monday's quiz? Don't want to give away the answer.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 01:16, The_Kincardine said:

Linfield must've won this weekend since @Audaces Fortuna Juvat 's inbox is stowed out with congratulatory messages.

Anyway, 86% and 71% from me.

They won 4-1 on Friday night, and Saturday afternoon saw our reserves win 2-1 against UUJ in the cup, followed by a cracking reunion of old footballing teammates and a few work colleagues from Belfast, so yesterday was a bit of a washout mate.

My guessometer is magnificent - 7/10. Am raging I changed the Russia question from the right answer to the wrong one, Also thought I was right on the Federer question, but I wasn't. Am I the only one who looked at, "Which state would you be in if you were playing sport at Hindmarsh Stadium?" and thought "Fcuking plastered!" As with nearly everything Australian, I guessed it wrongly.

By the way, doing the quiz has made me appreciate the tremendous amount of work the Cardinal must put in on the leagues all the more. Well done sir.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Anyway, in the play-offs...

I asked the question, How many moons has Uranus? The correct answer was 27. And they're named after Shakespeare characters. 

Now DA thought it was a trick question and plumped for 0. He then threw a curve-ball by saying "Who knew Uranus had 15 moons"... not sure if NothernJambo saw this or not but he went for 15. DA was gubbed anyway cos Pickled "Smarty Pants" Herring knew the answer... 

BWV went for 37... so he was closer than Northern Jambo...

So what I'm saying in a very roundabout way is that The_Kincardine / Pickled_Herring is promoted and BWV keeps his SWL place.     

Wait. There were 3 of us in the play-offs??  I thought it was two up, two down and the 3rd bottom versus 3rd top.  

I need to pay attention to the the rules.  There are rules... aren't there?

ETA: Sorry, NorthernJambo.  Can't promise I won;t do something similar next time I'm in trouble, though.

Edited by The DA

CowdenO (3+6) Swarley (2+4)

CowdenO had technical problems early doors, but produced an epic second half comeback to go through by a clear three points and must fancy his chances in the latter stages.

Frankie S (6+6) Dyl (2+5)

Frankie was in absolute cruise control with two halves of a very high standard indeed to register the highest score of the round. Will probably be the bookie's favourite after this. Unlucky Dyl, you really were up against it there.

Blackislekillie (5+4) LiviLion (4+4)

Blackislekillie was pushed all the way by a very worthy opponent, but his slightly higher first half performance means that he progresses at the expense of a valiant LiviLion.

Welshbairn (5+3)  SlipperyP (4+3)

Welshbairn and SlipperyP went toe to toe in this one, with the Welsh based quizzer thankful to his slightly superior first half because SlipperyP matched him all the way in the second.

Bully Wee Villa (No score submitted) Pickled Herring (6+5)

BWV must have had premonitions about PH's current form, although that sounds a tad fishy to me. Either way, a comprehensive victory for the Kincardine and the second highest score of the day.

Tynieness (No score submitted) Helpma (4+3)

Helpma eases through with a score of 7, although surely Tynie would have tested his resolve, had he only bothered. Bo'ness United are to blame IMO, although he could perhaps have done the quiz instead of spending Saturday night drunk while perusing You Tube?

Eednud (6+3) His Holy Eminence (4+3)

No divine intervention for the Cardinal this week as Eednud's first half superiority sees him safely through to the quarter final.

Irvine_buddie (on vacation) White Rose Killie (4+5)

A walkover for WRK in a game he would surely have been expected to win anyway.

So, the last eight will consist of WRK, Eednud, Helpma, The Kincardine, Welshbairn, BIK, FrankieS and CowdenO and, with 25 titles and 27 runners-up slots between them, it should be a titanic struggle, (not that Belfast people should use the word "titanic" very often). Bookies favourites FrankieS and WRK will be hoping to be kept apart, while everyone else will be hoping they are drawn together but, as I'm not in it, I couldn't give and airborne intercourse. All will be revealed on Friday.

46 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

My guessometer is magnificent - 7/10. Am raging I changed the Russia question from the right answer to the wrong one, Also thought I was right on the Federer question, but I wasn't. Am I the only one who looked at, "Which state would you be in if you were playing sport at Hindmarsh Stadium?" and thought "Fcuking plastered!" As with nearly everything Australian, I guessed it wrongly.

By the way, doing the quiz has made me appreciate the tremendous amount of work the Cardinal must put in on the leagues all the more. Well done sir.

Oh you :) ... just for you, here's a sneaky peek of the current league table. Is this going to be your season?

1-prem.png.b9e2298a3e84ff9251d2d5c180df4298.png

9 minutes ago, The DA said:

Wait. There were 3 of us in the play-offs??  I thought it was two up, two down and the 3rd bottom versus 3rd top.  

ETA: Sorry, NorthernJambo.  Can't promise I won;t do something similar next time I'm in trouble, though.

Aye. Badly worded post sorry. There were 2 play-offs, each with 2 team s (although occasionally there are 3 teams in there if they have the same points / QD)

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Oh you :) ... just for you, here's a sneaky peek of the current league table. Is this going to be your season?

1-prem.png.b9e2298a3e84ff9251d2d5c180df4298.png

Aye. Badly worded post sorry. There were 2 play-offs, each with 2 team s (although occasionally there are 3 teams in there if they have the same points / QD)

My guess would be "no". I'll be due a 3 or 4 some time soon.

It's sound, I took my stab in the dark before seeing your post. 27 moons seems to many. Be better with 15 imo.

8 for Monday. Knew lasagne, study of lakes / fresh water (came up in a recent quiz), Sophie Turner, Kant and Bhutan and was fairly confident on population of Russia. Was able to eliminate a couple of technology CEOs (who I knew were primarily associated with other companies) and landed a random guess on the pop song. Got both sports questions wrong, as is customary. 

P.S. Cardinal - don't mean to pedantic (though this is the quiz thread :lol:) but am I not up to 15 second place finishes now? 

Edited by Frankie S

21 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

8 for Monday. Knew lasagne, study of lakes / fresh water (came up in a recent quiz), Sophie Turner, Kant and Bhutan and was fairly confident on population of Russia. Was able to eliminate a couple of technology CEOs (who I knew were primarily associated with other companies) and landed a random guess on the pop song. Got both sports questions wrong, as is customary. 

P.S. Cardinal - don't mean to pedantic (though this is the quiz thread :lol:) but am I not up to 15 second place finishes now? 

My humble apologies. By way of compensation, you've just rocketed to the top of the Premiership. 

49 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

It's sound, I took my stab in the dark before seeing your post. 27 moons seems to many. Be better with 15 imo.

Potential outlet for a certain North Korean. "Kim Jong un, destroyer of moons".