The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Morning all, happy Monday to each an every one of ye [emoji106].
Well it's Monday morning and all the Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy cup ties have been played over the weekend so now it's time to bring the results. As per usual we've had tight matches, a shock here and there, and wide ranging scores. First up is

Blackislekilie v Supermik
One of the matches where the teams couldn't be split. BIK showing great levels of consistency with 4+4 and Supermik coming from behind at half time to square the tie and take it to a tiebreak.
Blackislekilie (4+4) 8 v 8 (3+5) Supermik

DeeJ v Whiterosekillie
Was this to be the match that caused an upset? Well DeeJ certainly went about it the right way hitting a perfect 7 in the first half to WRKs reasonable 5. Could DeeJ hang on the lead given WRK usually gets at least one half with a 7. DeeJ managed a very respectable 5 to mean WRK needed a 7 to take it to a tiebreak. Well this was the big shock of the weekend as WRK only managed a 6 second half. DeeJ will be heard partying deep into tonight after this one.
DeeJ (7+5) 12 v 11 (5+6)

Eckthearab v Tynieness
Close match up here with both sides going for it from the off. Eck felt he should have hit 7 but had to settle for a 6 to Tynies 5 in the first half. Eck struggled to maintain his standards second half and only managed a 4. Tynie pushed hard and managed a match winning 6 to take it by a point.
Eckthearab (6+4) 10 v 11 (5+6) Tynieness
Audaces Fortuna Juvat v Pleaslie
AFJ struggled first half and obviously didn't have his shooting boots on an scored a 3 to Pleslies decent 5. AFJ came out a different side second half and romped to a perfect 7, but would it be enough? Pleslie managed to keep his levels up though and scored the 6 he needed to take it by a point.
Audaces Fortuna Juvat (3+7) 10 v 11 (5+6) Pleslie
Cowden0 v Jacksgranda
Not quite the right match that was expected here. Cowden taking command at half time leading 6-4. Jacksgranda couldn't find the push needed and failed in his bid to pull it back in the second.
Cowden0 (6+4) 10 v 7 (4+3) Jacksgranda
The_Kincardine v Scotfree
Story of 2 halves here. Neither side setting the heather alight first half though Scotfree edged it 4-3. Second half Kincy pushed hard and managed a more than decent 6 to keep himself in with a chance. Scotfree couldn't be shaken off though and got the points needed to take it to a tiebreak.
The_Kincardine (3+6) 9 v 9 (4+5) Scotfree
Arabdownunder v AlanG1993
AlanG stamped his authority on this tie early on taking a 2 point lead into half time. Arab tried to pull it back but AlanG stood firm and increased his lead by the end of the match.
Arabdownunder (4+4) 8 v 11 (6+5) AlanG1993
Peasy23 v Cardinal Richelieu
Peasy found himself up against an in form Cardy here. Peasy managing a respectable but not good enough 4+5. Cardy on the other hand managed the highest score of the round with an almost perfect 6+7. And with that high score Cardy will surely hope to kick on and start repeating these kind of scores in the league.
Peasy23 (4+5) 9 v 13 (6+7) Cardinal Richelieu

And so with 6 ties completed the first 6 names into the next round are
DeeJ
Tynieness
Pleslie
Cowden0
AlanG
Cardinal Richelieu

And so we also have 2 ties going to tiebreak to see who else goes through.

According to the official Eiffel Tower website, what is the height of the Eiffel Tower in metres.
Answers to be PM'd to me no later than 5pm Tuesday evening. Best of luck folks.

9 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

Morning all, happy Monday to each an every one of ye emoji106.png.
Well it's Monday morning and all the Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy cup ties have been played over the weekend so now it's time to bring the results. As per usual we've had tight matches, a shock here and there, and wide ranging scores. First up is

DeeJ v Whiterosekillie
Was this to be the match that caused an upset? Well DeeJ certainly went about it the right way hitting a perfect 7 in the first half to WRKs reasonable 5. Could DeeJ hang on the lead given WRK usually gets at least one half with a 7. DeeJ managed a very respectable 5 to mean WRK needed a 7 to take it to a tiebreak. Well this was the big shock of the weekend as WRK only managed a 6 second half. DeeJ will be heard partying deep into tonight after this one.
DeeJ (7+5) 12 v 11 (5+6)

And so with 6 ties completed the first 6 names into the next round are
DeeJ
Tynieness
Pleslie
Cowden0
AlanG
Cardinal Richelieu

200.webp#4

200.webp#42

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'm surprised no one else is complaining about the desert question in today's quiz, the answer was just unambiguously wrong.

Well I'm not, since I got the answer they were looking for. Sometimes you need to play the question setter, not just the quiz. :P

I'm still not sold on having a "Stealer's Wheel" league but if enough people clamour for it, I'll make it so. In the meantime, here's Monday's league tables ... Alang1993 has had a torrid time of it of late, but he's bounced back with a 9. ..

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Alang1993 7x© 3x② 1xBZ 9         9
2 WhiteRoseKillie 12x© 3x② 8         8
2 MSU 1xBZ 8         8
4 Frankie S 3x© 4x② 7         7
4 The_Kincardine   7         7
4 Tynieness 2x© 1x② 1xBZ 7         7
4 Blackislekillie 4xBZ 7         7
8 WILLIEA 2x© 6         6
8 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 6         6
10 Eednud 4x② 2xBZ 5         5
10 Cowden0 1xBZ 5         5
10 Audaces Fortuna Juvat 3x② 5         5
10 Peasy23   5         5
10 Livi Lion   5         5
15 Jagfox99 2xBZ 3         3
16 Scotfree 1xBZ           0

And down in the Beazer Homes League, SlipperyP fans will be waking up and thinking there's been a glitch in the Matrix, with SlipperyP in numero uno position.

1 SlipperyP   9         9
2 Cardinal Richelieu 2xBZ 8         8
3 pleslie99 1xBZ 6         6
3 gkneil   6         6
3 Gman_1985   6         6
3 Dee_62   6         6
3 irvine_buddie   6         6
8 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 5         5
8 Eckthearab 6x② 1xBZ 5         5
8 Dee Man   5         5
8 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 5         5
8 Welshbairn 1xBZ 5         5
13 Ross.   4         4
13 Swarley   4         4
13 BigBo10   4         4
16 Supermik   3         3
16 Madwullie   3         3
18 Jacksgranda   2         2
19 Deej 1x© 4x② 1xBZ           0
19 Die Hard Doonhamer             0

6 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

How so dude? I was surprised by the right answer and checked it later but everywhere I checked gave the same answer.

Spoiler

The Gobi Desert is in East Asia, not Central Asia. They even had the correct answer as one of the options.

map-gobi.gif

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well I'm not, since I got the answer they were looking for. Sometimes you need to play the question setter, not just the quiz. :P

I'm still not sold on having a "Stealer's Wheel" league but if enough people clamour for it, I'll make it so. In the meantime, here's Monday's league tables ... Alang1993 has had a torrid time of it of late, but he's bounced back with a 9. ..

2 MSU 1xBZ 8         8
10 Peasy23   5         5

You've not updated my trophy cabinet again, Cardinal. I should be 5 x 2 now. Always the bridesmaid...

EDIT: looks like you gave me one too many championship titles. I only have two, I think! 

Edited by Frankie S

15 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

2 MSU 1xBZ 8         8
10 Peasy23   5         5

And down in the Beazer Homes League, SlipperyP fans will be waking up and thinking there's been a glitch in the Matrix, with SlipperyP in numero uno position.

1 SlipperyP   9         9
2 Cardinal Richelieu 2xBZ 8         8
3 pleslie99 1xBZ 6         6
3 gkneil   6         6
3 Gman_1985   6         6
3 Dee_62   6         6
3 irvine_buddie   6         6
8 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 5         5
8 Eckthearab 6x② 1xBZ 5         5
8 Dee Man   5         5
8 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 5         5
8 Welshbairn 1xBZ 5         5
13 Ross.   4         4
13 Swarley   4         4
13 BigBo10   4         4
16 Supermik   3         3
16 Madwullie   3         3
18 Jacksgranda   2         2
19 Deej 1x© 4x② 1xBZ           0
19 Die Hard Doonhamer             0

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

In the cup quiz, the question about the Iranian guy, did the question not ask which option didn't happen then give the correct answer as one that did or am I just a fud?

that's what i thought also. So you're probably closer to the fud option.

18 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

You've not updated my trophy cabinet again, Cardinal. I should be 5 x 2 now. Always the bridesmaid...

EDIT: looks like you gave me one too many championship titles. I only have two, I think! 

D'oh. You're right. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

1 hour ago, BigBo10 said:

In the cup quiz, the question about the Iranian guy, did the question not ask which option didn't happen then give the correct answer as one that did or am I just a fud?

That question confused me, too. I can't remember what my answer was, and it wouldn't have made a difference to the result had I got it right. (Or wrong, either.)

After having a bit of a read of the story it appears the correct answer given was the correct answer. He did receive the money, he was deemed to be overweight and he was cleared of wrongdoing. Hence the correct answer was that he wasn't banned from future Olympics. Hope this clears up the doubt. I couldn't understand the question either and so it was the only one i got wrong of that set.