Forgotten Artists

CowdenbeathLoyal

Gay dad reminds me of my first titp and going on about how much I utterly hated them even then. Terrible terrible lyrically and musically 90s indie paint by numbers soft rock shit. God I hated them. Mansun on the other hand were great.

There were any number of bands around then who seemed to be big for a month or two,get bigged up by nme and Steve lamqcq,appear on tfi Friday, do a festival season and die.

Off the top of my head, and a quick scan of the CD collection - king adora, ooberman, spacehog,soulwax (the band), Turin brakes, ultrasound, Bentley rythmn ace, surreal Madrid, electric soft parade, he coral, Cooper temple clause, halo, 3 colours red, angelica, silver sun, delakota, sparklehorse

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gay dad reminds me of my first titp and going on about how much I utterly hated them even then. Terrible terrible lyrically and musically 90s indie paint by numbers soft rock shit. God I hated them. Mansun on the other hand were great.

There were any number of bands around then who seemed to be big for a month or two,get bigged up by nme and Steve lamqcq,appear on tfi Friday, do a festival season and die.

Off the top of my head, and a quick scan of the CD collection - king adora, ooberman, spacehog,soulwax (the band), Turin brakes, ultrasound, Bentley rythmn ace, surreal Madrid, electric soft parade, he coral, Cooper temple clause, halo, 3 colours red, angelica, silver sun, delakota, sparklehorse

Bentley Rhythm Ace were superb. I saw 'em at TITP and twice in Dundee at the Student Union and in The Purple Rooms.

Here's a couple of other '90s bands that are missing in action...

The Zutons - they had some decent songs but people only focused on the -admittedly gorgeous - lassie who played the sax

Propellerheads - saw them play an awesome gig at the Renfrew Ferry, they did nothing after that Shirley Bassey song

electric soft parade

Saw Gay Dad supporting Mansun at The Assembly Rooms in Derby '98.

Mansun were great. Gay Dad were Gay and like someone's Dad. Not helped by the fact ARs is no good for anything more than Snooker.

Saw Electric Soft Parade this October at King Tuts. Top set! Good lads.

Aye, definitely - but largely forgotten and ignored these days - criminally so, imo.

Aye, you're probably right - Loads of artists cite XTC and Talk Talk as big influences on them and Difford and Tilbrook are regularly lauded as one of THE great songwriting partnerships

Whatever happened to The La's. "There She Goes" is still on the radio, and most listeners wouldn't know who they were.

The lead singer went a bit mental and the bassist went on to form Cast. The LA's have reformed a good few times and played festivals as recently as two years ago.

• 1 month later...

Archived