World War One 'celebrations'

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for commemorating this. It was another debacle of nationalism which is absolutely always a bad thing that sends men to their graves early.

A very mangey Eurobeast.

Why would you want to commemorate the start of a debacle?

Surely a quiet dignified commemoration of the end of hostilities in November 2018 would be more appropriate.

My great grandfather was killed at Beaumont-Hamel on the last day of the Somme debacle. He is buried in a tiny cemetary along with another forty Scottish soldiers average age 20. He was 37 and left four children. Because I was so young I didn't realise why my grandfather behaved the way he did but I realise now that the death of his father had scarred him for life. Remember the war but don't celebrate it,auld Alex certainly couldn't.

As others have said, we should never forget the fallen and we should never forget the causes of such a senseless waste of lives. But 11th November is the time to do it. And if we are commemorating the war the best time is 1918, When it ended. Remembrance Day is a concept that is hugely respected by most.

When Cameron announced this in 2012 I saw it for what it was. Why on earth would anyone organise a celebration, commemoration or whatever they want to call it, for the start of a war. Answer as others said is timing. Right when the referendum campaign is in full flow.

Call me paranoid, cynical or anything else you will but this is the only reason it is being arranged. Commemorating the start of an event that saw over 9 million lives lost is a ridiculous concept. This is an exceptionally desperate attempt to rouse British patriotism six weeks before the vote.

As others have said, we should never forget the fallen and we should never forget the causes of such a senseless waste of lives. But 11th November is the time to do it. And if we are commemorating the war the best time is 1918, When it ended. Remembrance Day is a concept that is hugely respected by most.

When Cameron announced this in 2012 I saw it for what it was. Why on earth would anyone organise a celebration, commemoration or whatever they want to call it, for the start of a war. Answer as others said is timing. Right when the referendum campaign is in full flow.

Call me paranoid, cynical or anything else you will but this is the only reason it is being arranged. Commemorating the start of an event that saw over 9 million lives lost is a ridiculous concept. This is an exceptionally desperate attempt to rouse British patriotism six weeks before the vote.

Tinfoil hat being worn sort of post IMO.

I'm pretty sure ww1 was started 100 years just in case the SNP fluked a majority in the yet to be formed Scottish parliament and to put a spanner in the works of their already failed campaign to become "devomaxed" "independent".

The narcissism of the loony nat clown collective on this thread is fucking hilarious. Its good that the majority have been dumped in the independence sand pit on another bit of the forum so that normal people dont have to read their drivel. Its a good stone for them to live under, in terms of the debate.

Oh f**k off with the cyber-Nat paranoia.

This shouldn't be "celebrated", of course not, but it's an opportunity to educate kids on the utter insanity of war and show them how WWI led directly to the evil ideologies of Communism and Fascism together with a rise in nationalism that made further conflict inevitable.

This shouldn't be "celebrated", of course not, but it's an opportunity to educate kids on the utter insanity of war and show them how WWI led directly to the evil ideologies of Communism and Fascism together with a rise in nationalism that made further conflict inevitable.

^^^^^^ this

Indeed. A bunch of fucking arseholes.

WW1 led to ww2 all sorts of extremist ositions, all sorts of horrible nationalist c***s all over Europe, loss of freedom for large swathes of Europe and beyond. Millions and millions dying for stupid political ideologies. etc etc etc.

And all these fucking wankers can think of is some fucking referendum that fucking Salmond could have had already and avoided any clash with fucking ww1 IF HE SO CHOSE.

WW2

WW1

Zulu

The Time War

War on Terror

You are way off!

WW2

First Gulf War

Falklands War - although they did interrupt my cartoons when bombing Goose Green which annoyed me greatly.

Zulu War

Boer War

WWI really needs some better PR.

Funny how I learned all about this in history at school. It was part of the curriculum. I assume it still is. No need for commemorations during my history classes. Why the sudden urge this year?

Funny how I learned all about this in history at school. It was part of the curriculum. I assume it still is. No need for commemorations during my history classes. Why the sudden urge this year?

Centenary mate.

You'd know that if you knew the start date, and could count.

Nobody tell the Nats but, those evil British b*****ds have only gone and arranged for the 200th anniversary of the Congress of Vienna to take place on the VERY SAME DAY as the sacred independence referendum.

This is quite clearly deflection tactics by the running dog lickspittles of the CDU.

The utter utter b*****ds.

Nobody tell the Nats but, those evil British b*****ds have only gone and arranged for the 200th anniversary of the Congress of Vienna to take place on the VERY SAME DAY as the sacred independence referendum.

This is quite clearly deflection tactics by the running dog lickspittles of the CDU.

bloody anniversaries!!!!!!

grrrr

shakes fist at unionists in a very angry fashion indeed.

Both my grandfathers fought at Gallipoli. They admired the Turks, far better soldiers and more organized then they were expecting. Couldn't stand the Aussies though, whiny lot apparently.

I'll look forward to the series of commemorative events planned by the government

Archived