Alien: Isolation

Chupacabra

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamespot and IGN are the two sites I find most reliable for reviews, Gamespot has given it a 6.

No thanks.

Your loss. I find Andy Kelly is pretty good for them, I'm basically going on his opinion.

Gamespot and IGN are the two sites I find most reliable for reviews, Gamespot has given it a 6.

No thanks.

There seems to be a wide disparity between some scores, have seen 5's been given out and yet some that I follow have been giving huge scores out.....however from this gameplay section I'm looking to get this asap.

(also I'll be playing with all the lights on......I mean all....I'm talking floodlights being brought in to light up the whole estate......no shadows anywhere)

I came into this thread with my eyes hiding behind my fingers, I'm desperate this game isn't awful. That said, if it is, at least the Evil Within is out the following week.

I came into this thread with my eyes hiding behind my fingers, I'm desperate this game isn't awful. That said, if it is, at least the Evil Within is out the following week.

The thing is, the majority of reviewers have been very positive. Just strangely a couple of big sites have slated it. I don't quite know what to make of it all. Still has about a 85% score on gamerankings

Played around 90 mins (I guess) of it today. The atmosphere is so rich and tense. I'm not far enough into it to fully judge yet, but the sound is very well done. Cut scenes are quite choppy, the voice acting is barely passable post-The Last of Us, but nonetheless I'm pretty impressed so far.

Actual review of gameplay by P&Bers are the only reviews I trust!

This.

P&B has a smallish but pretty damn reliable cross section of hardcore gamers. There are no agendas that you'll see from review sites. Most of the games I buy are based on P&B reviews.

A lot of the comments from the reviews I keep seeing repeatedly state that the game is 'repetitive'. That'd be a pretty big stumbling block.

Also seen complaints about the poor save system, which I kind of like if it's more like the old fashioned Resident Evil style of saving.

A lot of the comments from the reviews I keep seeing repeatedly state that the game is 'repetitive'. That'd be a pretty big stumbling block.

Also seen complaints about the poor save system, which I kind of like if it's more like the old fashioned Resident Evil style of saving.

Im also a bit concerned about the save system. I dont like games I cant just stop playing and pick up again from where I left off.

Mr X, on 06 Oct 2014 - 14:20, said:

Im also a bit concerned about the save system. I dont like games I cant just stop playing and pick up again from where I left off.

I get that point of view, but I think a checkpoint style system leads to a disconnect, a chapter style game isn't my cup of tea either. The game should be about surviving and part of making that work is making the gamer fear that if they die here or they make the wrong move, then there will be consequences rather than simply going back 2 minutes.

The thing is with this game is that you could be evading the alien for a few minutes before dying, so where does the game start from again

If it loads you up in the middle of the chase then you could simply die everytime

The checkpoint save works because when you save its always at a safe point

The thing is with this game is that you could be evading the alien for a few minutes before dying, so where does the game start from again

If it loads you up in the middle of the chase then you could simply die everytime

The checkpoint save works because when you save its always at a safe point

you don't start in exactly the same situation as when you saved it, the alien spawns somewhere away from you. The alien moves so fast that if you're seen you're dead in seconds anyway and wouldn't have time to save it

you don't start in exactly the same situation as when you saved it, the alien spawns somewhere away from you. The alien moves so fast that if you're seen you're dead in seconds anywayand wouldn't have time to save it

"You're all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fuckin' knees... begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say *f**k* that thing! Let's fight it!"

I get that point of view, but I think a checkpoint style system leads to a disconnect, a chapter style game isn't my cup of tea either. The game should be about surviving and part of making that work is making the gamer fear that if they die here or they make the wrong move, then there will be consequences rather than simply going back 2 minutes.

I see what youre saying, particularly about the "safe" place. It could mean having to replay the same area over and over again though - although if the Alien AI is random that might not be such an issue.

Its a purely selfish point of view, to be honest. The days of having the time to say "I'll just play to the next checkpoint" are long gone for me :(

Archived