The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

On 23/01/2023 at 11:15, arab_joe said:

I've also just booked another trip, for 10 days December.  I cannot wait!

Bought a house this year so have cancelled my booking for December - next year it is.  Already counting down the months!

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

On my list of things to do I've got MSG Knicks game, Ice Hockey game, Rock building, Times Square, Bus Tour, Central Park, High line, Rooftop bar and of course try some cheap ass hot dogs and pizza. 

Of course we've all got different tastes and this is my first time going but just wondering if any of the people who've been recently or even frequently have any good suggestions of things deffo worth checking out. 

(I'm not fussed about statue of liberty, ground zero or broadway shows) 

Through Top of the Rock, Times Square, Central Park and High Line you cover off a lot of the best spots for a first-time visit.

I know you've said you're not fussed about it, but I'm a huge fan of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for a day out.  Really interesting, relatively cheap, and great views of the city from the boat there/back.

Ground Zero museum itself is busy and expensive and can understand why you'd seek to steer clear of that, but the memorials themselves are essentially a public park.  Well worth a quick visit if you're in the area (and given how central it is, you'll be in the area at some point).  Very poignant. 

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and/or the Manhattan Bridge is an essential in my eyes, as are visits to Little Italy, Chinatown and the Meatpacking District.  I also love taking the cable car over to Roosevelt Island, if you find yourselves in that area.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Would do a food tour on foot, there are a few good ones. 

Circle line boat tour excellent as well, I've done both the full 3 hour loop and the evening 1.5 hour (on different visits) though if you do too many tours you'll get a lot of overlap. 

Boat trips are great, but if you're tight for time or sick of tours then just hop on the Staten Island ferry for a quick/free ferry ride.  Grab a beer in a paper bag at the ferry terminal and you're all set.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Bought a house this year so have cancelled my booking for December - next year it is.  Already counting down the months!

Through Top of the Rock, Times Square, Central Park and High Line you cover off a lot of the best spots for a first-time visit.

I know you've said you're not fussed about it, but I'm a huge fan of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for a day out.  Really interesting, relatively cheap, and great views of the city from the boat there/back.

Ground Zero museum itself is busy and expensive and can understand why you'd seek to steer clear of that, but the memorials themselves are essentially a public park.  Well worth a quick visit if you're in the area (and given how central it is, you'll be in the area at some point).  Very poignant. 

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and/or the Manhattan Bridge is an essential in my eyes, as are visits to Little Italy, Chinatown and the Meatpacking District.  I also love taking the cable car over to Roosevelt Island, if you find yourselves in that area.

Boat trips are great, but if you're tight for time or sick of tours then just hop on the Staten Island ferry for a quick/free ferry ride.  Grab a beer in a paper bag at the ferry terminal and you're all set.

Cheers for the response. Some food for thought, someone else did actually mention the free ferry, can you see the statue of liberty from there? 

Also presumed the ground zero would just be a depressing museum but might take a wander through the park area. 

Brooklyn Bridge sounds good hadn't even thought about that. 

10 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Cheers for the response. Some food for thought, someone else did actually mention the free ferry, can you see the statue of liberty from there? 

Also presumed the ground zero would just be a depressing museum but might take a wander through the park area. 

statenislandferry.thumb.jpg.a2d1eeb3744692e6f4b5f67821b36a47.jpg

I took this from the Staten Island ferry a few years ago. All the touristy folk will head to the front of the boat, but if you just go out the right hand side (going from Manhattan to Staten Island), there will be no idiots in the way of your photo

Anyone been with young kids? If so, how did they find it? 

Got a good price currently for London-NYC-Toronto-London over the Easter Holidays next year and swithering on pulling the trigger. My daughter's 5 and always happy going along places, but we've never really done a break in a huge city with her before without a buggy so just wanting to see what others' experience was. No qualms at all about enough things for her to do, just wanting to gauge how it might be. Whilst I've got a good price, it will work out more expensive than, say, 10 nights in a decent All Inclusive on Southern Europe. So I want to make sure it'll be worth it. 

Edited by Michael W

18 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Anyone been with young kids? If so, how did they find it? 

Got a good price currently for London-NYC-Toronto-London over the Easter Holidays next year and swithering on pulling the trigger. My daughter's 5 and always happy going along places, but we've never really done a break in a huge city with her before without a buggy so just wanting to see what others' experience was. No qualms at all about enough things for her to do, just wanting to gauge how it might be. Whilst I've got a good price, it will work out more expensive than, say, 10 nights in a decent All Inclusive on Southern Europe. So I want to make sure it'll be worth it. 

It all depends on what you’re going to do, but personally I’d say it would probably be generally hard going for a five year old. So much walking. I’m desperate to take my kids but they’re 7 and nearly 5. I would wait until they were a bit older to appreciate it and not moan about walking too much. Appreciate I’m not giving you experience of someone taking a kid, but just my tuppence worth. 

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

It all depends on what you’re going to do, but personally I’d say it would probably be generally hard going for a five year old. So much walking. I’m desperate to take my kids but they’re 7 and nearly 5. I would wait until they were a bit older to appreciate it and not moan about walking too much. Appreciate I’m not giving you experience of someone taking a kid, but just my tuppence worth. 

Yeah, that's my concern. I know there's the subway, but it isn't useful for everything and the amount of walking might be too much. I'd love to go back to the Intrepid Museum and I'm sure the little one would enjoy it too, but it's a half hour walk from Midtown and I can foresee this ending in a fair bit of whining either there or on the way back. From memory the grid pattern is really irritating as well, as your walk is prolonged by being continually stopped. 

On 21/08/2023 at 13:14, RuMoore said:

On my list of things to do I've got MSG Knicks game, Ice Hockey game, Rock building, Times Square, Bus Tour, Central Park, High line, Rooftop bar and of course try some cheap ass hot dogs and pizza. 

Of course we've all got different tastes and this is my first time going but just wondering if any of the people who've been recently or even frequently have any good suggestions of things deffo worth checking out. 

(I'm not fussed about statue of liberty, ground zero or broadway shows) 

On 21/08/2023 at 18:40, RuMoore said:

I'm guessing you're staying near Times Square? If so you'll go there once and that'll be it (unless walking back via there). It was probably the thing I enjoyed least. Obviously you have to do it but it was just too touristy(traps) for me. Avoid the folk dressed up; don't take their photo and if they try and take yours walk away as they'll harass you for money. Similarly, don't take any CDs you're offered. We did sit on the red steps and watch the costume folk for a while. It's pretty fascinating watching them swarm. Worth taking 10 minutes out your day to watch them. 

Would recommend the 9/11 Museum. Never been that interested in it myself but so glad I visited the museum. Kind of made me 'appreciate' the whole thing. Also gave me a fonder feeling for the city and how so many of them came together. We spend (a very quick) 4 hours there before I tapped out. The Dog section was something I had absolutely no idea about and was almost in tears out of some kind of pride :lol: 

We did the Circle Line boat tour at night. Thoroughly recommend. The tour guide was very good and very funny. The views were gorgeous. So different at night. We did Top of The Rock at night as well. Hindsight would probably have made sense to do one at night and one during the day. 

The Staten Island ferry would appear to get just as close as our boat did. Apologies for the shite quality. My phone isn't the best for photos. 

Don't know how long you're going for but Central Park could take about a whole day get round. We entered at The Plaza and walked constantly for 90 minutes before coming out at the Alice in Wonderland statue. Thought we'd made good inroads but when I checked the map later on we had only made it about a quarter way in. It's fucking massive. Definitely worth going for a wee while. 

Grab a dollar slice while you can. I don't imagine that'll be an actual thing for too much longer. Incredible value and we would have a slice and it kept us going for most of the afternoon. 

IMG_20230220_202808292.jpg

IMG_20230220_192910922.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a week in NYC and thought it was tremendous, would definitely go back. Easy to get about on the subway or even just walking about as the block numbers make it easy work out where you want to be. Done most things others have mentioned to do on here and saw Andy Murray win at flushing meadow. All in all tremendous, also it was roasting.

On 07/09/2023 at 04:44, keptie said:

Just back from a week in NYC and thought it was tremendous, would definitely go back. Easy to get about on the subway or even just walking about as the block numbers make it easy work out where you want to be. Done most things others have mentioned to do on here and saw Andy Murray win at flushing meadow. All in all tremendous, also it was roasting.

I had 2 days there and nearly expired of the heat.

On 27/08/2023 at 23:25, 19QOS19 said:

We did the Circle Line boat tour at night. Thoroughly recommend. The tour guide was very good and very funny. The views were gorgeous. So different at night. We did Top of The Rock at night as well. Hindsight would probably have made sense to do one at night and one during the day.

Best sightseeing tip I ever received about going up skyscrapers and the like was to time your visit so you get up there just before it gets dark, then you get the day and night views for the price of one.

5 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Best sightseeing tip I ever received about going up skyscrapers and the like was to time your visit so you get up there just before it gets dark, then you get the day and night views for the price of one.

One of the best NYC sightseeing tips I got was to go up to the viewing platform of the Rockefeller Centre for great views down towards the Empire State Building, and the area the Empire State sits in, as well as going up the Empire State itself. Was a great tip and I got some good photos.

Haven’t been in New York for a few years, but on every trip, another thing I have to do is to have breakfast in the Red Flame Diner on West 44th. It’s buzzing with folk barking out orders just like you see on the telly… ‘Two eggs easy on the upside, soft on the inside, and two slices of rye with pumpernickel flip on the downside with jelly, oh, and a double espresso with soy milk and a whip-doop-de-dooh Yankee Doodle Dandy easy done on the other side. Please.’

… That kind of thing. 😄

On 17/09/2023 at 21:21, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Would love to get Rangers merchandise, but you know, Scotland.

If you really want to confuse people when you get back home, you should buy the green and white St. Patrick's day hoodie they usually sell each year with the word RANGERS emblazoned across the front of it.

On 21/08/2023 at 21:40, RuMoore said:

If you just want a decent view of the Statue of Liberty then the Staten Island ferry is more than adequate - but the Statue of Liberty boats, and the Circle Line cruises etc. go a lot closer and will slow down for you to get a good view.  I have mentioned it a good few times on here before, but I am a huge fan of the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island museum day trip and would say it is an absolute must for a first time visitor to the city - not for the views, necessarily, but for the history and tales of immigrants coming to the city.

Brooklyn Bridge is another must - the views you get of Manhattan and out across the harbour are wonderful.  The Manhattan Bridge is also good, as you get a great view of the more iconic Brooklyn Bridge. 

On 23/08/2023 at 15:38, Musketeer Gripweed said:

If you want to venture out a bit, Jersey Devils or Brooklyn Nets tickets are half the price and the beer won't be $25 a pint either like it will be at MSG.

Haven't been to the ice hockey in Jersey, but can confirm the Brooklyn Nets is great - and you can get far, far better view for the same cost as a ticket at MSG.  The arena is very new and well connected for the subway (or, as above, it is easily walkable from Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge).

On 28/08/2023 at 02:25, 19QOS19 said:

We did Top of The Rock at night as well. Hindsight would probably have made sense to do one at night and one during the day. 

Do what @Dirty Sanchez suggests - go up the Top of the Rock late in the afternoon and then stay past sunset.  Best of both worlds, and it is cheaper than going up for sunset when there is an extra fee to pay.  

On 18/09/2023 at 00:21, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Would love to get Rangers merchandise, but you know, Scotland.

I like the Jets, Giants, Nets, Knicks, even the Islanders, Devils and the Brooklyn Cyclones in the baseball minor leagues... but just can't bring myself to like a team called Rangers.

On 18/09/2023 at 22:58, pozbaird said:

One of the best NYC sightseeing tips I got was to go up to the viewing platform of the Rockefeller Centre for great views down towards the Empire State Building, and the area the Empire State sits in, as well as going up the Empire State itself. Was a great tip and I got some good photos.

I've done World Trade Centre, Empire State and Top of the Rock - and would 100% say that Top of the Rock is the best.  Great view of the Empire State and downtown on one side, and up to Central Park on the other.  The World Trade Centre one is the most expensive, busiest and you can't go outside - would not recommend at all.

For anyone interested, it looks like NYC is getting even tougher on Airbnbs:

Wired.com article

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

If you just want a decent view of the Statue of Liberty then the Staten Island ferry is more than adequate - but the Statue of Liberty boats, and the Circle Line cruises etc. go a lot closer and will slow down for you to get a good view.  I have mentioned it a good few times on here before, but I am a huge fan of the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island museum day trip and would say it is an absolute must for a first time visitor to the city - not for the views, necessarily, but for the history and tales of immigrants coming to the city.

Brooklyn Bridge is another must - the views you get of Manhattan and out across the harbour are wonderful.  The Manhattan Bridge is also good, as you get a great view of the more iconic Brooklyn Bridge. 

Haven't been to the ice hockey in Jersey, but can confirm the Brooklyn Nets is great - and you can get far, far better view for the same cost as a ticket at MSG.  The arena is very new and well connected for the subway (or, as above, it is easily walkable from Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge).

Do what @Dirty Sanchez suggests - go up the Top of the Rock late in the afternoon and then stay past sunset.  Best of both worlds, and it is cheaper than going up for sunset when there is an extra fee to pay.  

I like the Jets, Giants, Nets, Knicks, even the Islanders, Devils and the Brooklyn Cyclones in the baseball minor leagues... but just can't bring myself to like a team called Rangers.

I've done World Trade Centre, Empire State and Top of the Rock - and would 100% say that Top of the Rock is the best.  Great view of the Empire State and downtown on one side, and up to Central Park on the other.  The World Trade Centre one is the most expensive, busiest and you can't go outside - would not recommend at all.

For anyone interested, it looks like NYC is getting even tougher on Airbnbs:

Wired.com article

I don’t know if it is still the same, but I’ve done the trip to the top of the new World Trade 1 building, and it was a beautiful sunny day. The way they did it was that there were electronic panels right across the windows so you couldn’t see anything other than the grqphics on the panels. They had maybe three to five sets of raised walkways, like a football terrace, and when full, the guide welcomed everyone before hitting a button…. Ta-Dah! The panels quickly parted and revealed a stunning vista. It was quite the moment, and really well done. Having done it once though, you’ll never have that initial ‘wow’ moment again, so that’s chalked off my NYC list.

I swear the next bit is true -one of two English guys stood directly on the ‘terrace’ behind us said to his mate ‘Imagine if when that curtain pulled back, there was another graphic with the front view of a 787 coming right at you’. I mean, an awful thing to say, bur fcuk me, it would have been some scene. 

Can also recommend the Edge at Hudson Yards if you want an alternative view of the city. We did it at New Year, although the access to the main viewing deck was limited due to the weather.

We also wanted to do the Summit at One Vanderbilt, but the weather was pish on the only day we had available

38 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Can also recommend the Edge at Hudson Yards if you want an alternative view of the city. We did it at New Year, although the access to the main viewing deck was limited due to the weather.

We also wanted to do the Summit at One Vanderbilt, but the weather was pish on the only day we had available

Done both when I was there last year and Summit is brilliant. Loved the glass lift for the part of the ascent, amazing views that far up.

1 minute ago, The Naitch said:

Done both when I was there last year and Summit is brilliant. Loved the glass lift for the part of the ascent, amazing views that far up.

Aye, loved the Summit, glass lift as you say and the level with the mirrored floor and ceiling are amazing. We booked it for the sunset and the views over Manhattan as the sun went down were something else. 

• 2 weeks later...