The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

22 hours ago, starryfish said:

Magic, thank you. Is that an official ticket outlet? We are in New York next September but only for the one full day, I’ve already suggested to my wife that the tennis might be something enjoyable for us to go too.

Yes, ticketmaster. Good luck persuading the wife 😃

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm heading back to NYC in March as part of a trip for my other half's mum's 70th (who's never been to the States before, nor has her son and his partner who'll also be in attendance).  Thing is, my other half and I were there for a week just 5 years ago where we did the typical tourist stuff (TotR, CP, MSG, SoL, NHM etc over 5 days.

Any recommendations for 'alternative' things of non-ill-repute to pop off and do on occasion to save me simply reliving my previous stereotypical tourist visit for the entire trip?  Somewhat selfish perhaps considering the trip is ultimately a treat for somebody else, but my fear is that simply doing the same box-ticking exercise again would largely be more than a bit of a waste.  Hopefully I'd be forgiven for the occasional "you lot head up to the TotR & other places in Manhattan whilst we go to [insert lesser known place] and meet up later".

#FirstWorldProblems

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Looks like I'm heading back to NYC in March as part of a trip for my other half's mum's 70th (who's never been to the States before, nor has her son and his partner who'll also be in attendance).  Thing is, my other half and I were there for a week just 5 years ago where we did the typical tourist stuff (TotR, CP, MSG, SoL, NHM etc over 5 days.

Any recommendations for 'alternative' things of non-ill-repute to pop off and do on occasion to save me simply reliving my previous stereotypical tourist visit for the entire trip?  Somewhat selfish perhaps considering the trip is ultimately a treat for somebody else, but my fear is that simply doing the same box-ticking exercise again would largely be more than a bit of a waste.  Hopefully I'd be forgiven for the occasional "you lot head up to the TotR & other places in Manhattan whilst we go to [insert lesser known place] and meet up later".

#FirstWorldProblems

Have you walked along the High Line.  An elevated train that is now a walkway and garden.

Also walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Rockerfeller Center is probably easier than the Empire State Building.  Don't bother doing the Empire State at night.  Queues were horrendous.

Summit One gives you the observation deck shtick but with some trippy mirrored floors/ceilings and a glass elevator. Good fun. Lower East side and East Village are good for an aimless wander. Aiming to spend more time in Brooklyn if/when I go back. 

• 2 weeks later...

i am heading to New York for the first time (also first time out of Europe) in July. i was looking for advice for what people did for mobile sim cards for data, my current supplier will hit me hard for roaming charges and want to avoid if I can?

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

i am heading to New York for the first time (also first time out of Europe) in July. i was looking for advice for what people did for mobile sim cards for data, my current supplier will hit me hard for roaming charges and want to avoid if I can?

Switch off your roaming and just use wifi .All the attractions/ bars/big shops etc have free wifi 

On 29/01/2024 at 23:55, Hedgecutter said:

#FirstWorldProblems

Did you do the 9/11 museum? We spent 4 hours in there and if it hadn't been for my feet aching I could probably have stayed longer, as tough as it was at times. 

There's a good YouTuber called HereBeBarr who has a shitload of videos on things to do be it free or alternative. Watched him a lot before our trip last year and got a few tips. Worth having a look. 

8 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Switch off your roaming and just use wifi .All the attractions/ bars/big shops etc have free wifi 

This. Even just standing outside a McDicks should get you their signal and they’re very rarely passworded off. 

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2024 at 15:42, The Stig said:

Last time I went, I got a 30 day travellers sim from the kiosk at JFK. It was something like $40 for unlimited data, calls and texts for 30 days

On 29/01/2024 at 23:55, Hedgecutter said:

#FirstWorldProblems

Go to Brooklyn. Given its yer MIL’s first time in the states let her go do a wee spree in Macy’s? Look at some of the pizza tours (i mean if you like pizza). Some of the tv shows and rehearsals give out free tickets and can be a good laugh. Do the staten island ferry, what about a Yankees or Mets game depending on the date, new york sports fans tend to be glory hunters so plenty tickets when they arent on a run.

Cheers.  Ultimately doesn't matter now seeing as I'm stuck out in the Atlantic Ocean, and the MIL already sent herself off to Nova Scotia a fortnight.

OH: She won't travel by herself, so we'll need to go with her.

[1 month later]

OH: she's booked herself a flight to Canada for next week.

🤔