Your Old Stadium

One of those film shots of a ground with the annoying bagpipe music. This time Boghead Park, Dumbarton ©1980.

One of the grounds I never made it to. The main stand and pavillion seems quite unique. Also covered terracing for parts of the other three sides. I don't remember many tales of Boghead from fellow Thistle fans. Anyone got any recollections?

Last night of the shed at Firhill in season 93/94.

attachicon.giffirhillshed1.jpeg

attachicon.giffirhillshed.jpeg

Some Jags fans didn't want to leave.

attachicon.giffirhillshed2.jpeg

attachicon.giffirhillshed3.jpeg

They did eventually. Look out for the phantom fox in this last photo of the shed ;)

attachicon.giffirhillshed4.jpeg

My god Fox, me and my brother are in that third photo down. I am aghast!

One of those film shots of a ground with the annoying bagpipe music. This time Boghead Park, Dumbarton ©1980.

One of the grounds I never made it to. The main stand and pavillion seems quite unique. Also covered terracing for parts of the other three sides. I don't remember many tales of Boghead from fellow Thistle fans. Anyone got any recollections?

Was it Boghead whose main stand was known as "the wendy house" due to its diminutive size?

Another ground with a compact main stand was old Douglas Park, Hamilton... When they moved to the Ballast Stadium it was dismantled and sold to Auchinleck Talbot Juniors. Sensibly, every piece was numbered to assist in reassembly. Unfortunately, some well-meaning individuals decided to give the components a fresh lick of paint before putting it back together... and painted over all the numbers in the process. Brilliant stuff.

2D4E6125-BB28-2679-9833BDE641CDF8E4.jpg

Hamilton+Academical+Stand,+Douglas+Park.

auchinleck04.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

It was well named. i am sure that they didn't have toilets ;) , well we never used them.back of the stand was good enough. Getting the train from Garscadden to Dalmuir and then to Dumbarton East was a journey ok. It was a ground with a great atmosphere. Saw Jags a few times there, Some magic days!

I only went to Muirton Park twice so am by no means an expert but know from reading about the period that it was a ground on it's knees, the photos kind of back that up. One of the pictures posted earlier in the thread shows only half the Main Stand in use, for example. Saints needed to move to a new ground, or spend a lot of money on improving Muirton but the real shame is some of these other grounds (and I remember more vividly going to some of them) weren't in that bad a way and would be perfectly adequate to watch games at today.

Here are a few more from Muirton Park, including some of the demolition process. The first two are from the last game against Ayr United.

MuirtonPark27.jpg

MuirtonPark5.jpg

MuirtonPark17.jpg

MuirtonPark18.jpg

Little story which I hope is correct about the first photo above. It shows the segregation fence and I believe Aberdeen actually paid for that before a Scottish Cup tie between the teams towards the end of the ground's existence. Not sure what would have happened otherwise with regards to where the game would be held? The capacity before some remedial work was done was severely limited, maybe even below 2,000? This was a ground that had held 30,000 in the past.

@hibeejibee supposedly it was known as the postage box after construction, probably had other names to.

A wee montage of Boghead photos, last claim to fame was that it was the home ground for Robert Duval's team in "Shot at glory".

Outside

post-1545-0-90887400-1390584067_thumb.jppost-1545-0-11788600-1390584084_thumb.jp

Inside

post-1545-0-41879200-1390584126_thumb.jppost-1545-0-83329300-1390584141.jpeg

post-1545-0-66208100-1390584159_thumb.jp

Ariel view

post-1545-0-90866900-1390584223_thumb.jp

@highlandmagyar supposedly local residents complained to the club that they could see in the toikets in latter years. Not a pretty sight I'm sure :P

Little story which I hope is correct about the first photo above. It shows the segregation fence and I believe Aberdeen actually paid for that before a Scottish Cup tie between the teams towards the end of the ground's existence. Not sure what would have happened otherwise with regards to where the game would be held? The capacity before some remedial work was done was severely limited, maybe even below 2,000? This was a ground that had held 30,000 in the past.

Yeah my dad said that was the case. He attended the final match at muirton & the first at mcdiarmid. He told me it never felt the same to him. I drive by asdas and I just try and picture how the place would have looked as a football grous. I even once tried to pinpoint where the centre spot would have been when I was with my friend.

I understand why we moved. I just wish I could have seen muirton in the flesh, I wasn't born until 91 so all I've known is mcdiarmid.

Out of curiosity does anyone have pictures of our original ground on the inch? I believe it was called "recreation park" I think we moved to muirton in 1930?

Here's another photo, of the Easter Road terracing, believed to be from 6 August 1955 [Edinburgh Select v Newcastle United].

Score was 1-1

Willie Ormond scored for Edinburgh Select after 6 minutes and Keeble equalised for Newcastle in the second half. Lawrie Reilly had a goal chalked off and Newcastle missed a penalty. The Referee was none other than Bobby Davidson"

4388245088_57a9f99e0f_o.jpg