C'mon England

heedthebaa

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for a company that is roughly 50/50 in two sites (one in Scotland and one in England) and have found almost exclusively that the guys I work with in England want Scotland to do well and qualify along with them.

They are relatively bemused by the rivalry some Scots try to build up with England.

exactly, this 'auld enemy' stuff is utter pish. The scotch hate the English, but the English are like wtf's their problem, for the most, its one way. Its sadly just how they are,a very bitter and twisted people (who some I know blame the English for)

I like England.

They provide us northern cave dwellers with much amusement in these darkened times.

Im glad they've qualified for the World Cup.

penalty-pirlo-panenka-italia-vs-inglater

Superb from Pirlo. A superb moment. :thumsup2

It's always ABE for me but as I have Italian family, I particularly delight in seeing Italy embarrass them.

exactly, this 'auld enemy' stuff is utter pish. The scotch hate the English, but the English are like wtf's their problem, for the most, its one way. Its sadly just how they are,a very bitter and twisted people (who some I know blame the English for)
i hope ya no saying am no welcome on here
With 6803 posts and most prob 6000 irritating and good wind Ups fair play yer welcome to post wi open arms heed x :D

A wee story, a friend of mine who also lives in Scotland but originates from Middleborough was away down visiting family with his wife. She Wanted to see the Scotland game which was on at the time, but was unsure about going to the club to watch it. To her amazement she went and couldn't understand why everyone in the club was supporting Scotland

You see that's how we rock us English. You spiteful twisted fuckers should try it, too much hatred in this bigoted, racist, xenophobic country. Shameful way of going on

finding-out-im-not-getting-overtime-for-

I can understand that they don't consider us their main rival. To say they can't understand why we consider them as our rival is just daft though.

There's definitely still a slight rivalry there but its similar to the Rangers/Aberdeen rivalry. Quite one-sided. 80/20 in favour of Aberdeen. Rangers are Aberdeen's most important game of the season whereas for Rangers its just another game albeit with a bit of added spice.

England's main rivals are Germany and Argentina.

Anyhoo, as an Englishman who has lived most of his life in Scotland I want them to win every game they play apart from matches against England, of course. Also, the team normally (not anymore!) has a lot of Rangers players involved so it would be silly to hope they get played off the park. I've been to some Scotland games as well and hopefully will attend more. (when there's more Rangers players good enough to make it into the squad!)

Of course Scotland fans care more about England than the other way round. It's the same reason Everton fans care more about Liverpool, Man City fans cared more about Man Utd until recently, Espanyol fans care more about Barcelona, etc. Teams only really invest in a rivalry when the rival is better than them or at least a credible threat; it's why Germany fans don't give a toss about England in the way some England fans don't give a toss about Scotland.

The way I see it it's a footballing rivalry, some will obviously support anybody but England because they harbour a genuine hatred of the English. If I were a Hearts fan I would wan't Hibs to loose in the Scottish cup. Suggesting England are 'a British team' as a reason for me being obliged to support them is the same as a Hearts fan being persuaded to support Hibs in a Scottish Cup final because they are 'an Edinburgh team. The English people I know tend to have a good laugh at Scotland's expense when we draw with some whalers from the North Atlantic or whatever, it's not malicious, it's natural because everybody wants the bragging rights over your rivals - and there's no escaping it England and Scotland are rivals and I wish them every misfortune in Brazil.

Although I am really looking forward to seeing Ingerland getting totally humiliated in Brazil, it won't be the same as normal as, for once, nobody in Ingerland thinks they've got a chance. So when they get stuffed, they'll all say that it's what they expected.

There's definitely still a slight rivalry there but its similar to the Rangers/Aberdeen rivalry. Quite one-sided. 80/20 in favour of Aberdeen. Rangers are Aberdeen's most important game of the season whereas for Rangers its just another game albeit with a bit of added spice.

England's main rivals are Germany and Argentina.

Anyhoo, as an Englishman who has lived most of his life in Scotland I want them to win every game they play apart from matches against England, of course. Also, the team normally (not anymore!) has a lot of Rangers players involved so it would be silly to hope they get played off the park. I've been to some Scotland games as well and hopefully will attend more. (when there's more Rangers players good enough to make it into the squad!)

It's not, Scotland and England have played each other before, The Rangers and Aberdeen never have.

Due to my complete and utter hatred of the racist, xenophobic English Media - and in particular The Daily Mail - I hope to see England pumped in every single game they play.

I'm English and have lived in Scotland for over twenty years. I quite enjoy it all to be honest, its a good honest rivalry and its never personal.

Any England fan taking it personally should probably grow up a little bit.

Of course Scotland fans care more about England than the other way round. It's the same reason Everton fans care more about Liverpool, Man City fans cared more about Man Utd until recently, Espanyol fans care more about Barcelona, etc. Teams only really invest in a rivalry when the rival is better than them or at least a credible threat; it's why Germany fans don't give a toss about England in the way some England fans don't give a toss about Scotland.

More like Port Vale and Stoke or Shire and Falkirk i would say.

• 2 weeks later...

What a lot of shite, there's a belter of a video on YouTube from the recent game between us, filming England fans shouting absolutely horrid things towards the Scotland support, which I have no problem with, at all, it's football. To say that it's all one sided is ridiculous, go and read other forums/pages/Facebook and have a look at some of the comments coming from the Engerlish speaking about the Scottish aswell. Talk shite mate.

I tried to not care about how England would do this year, but I listen to Talk Sport every day and Durham and the callers talking absolute pish are enough to make me hope they crash and burn! Hopefully Germany win it.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in England and this is shite you would be lucky to find a pub in England showing the Scotland game let alone supporting it.

Totally agree with this, I have lived in England for almost 20 years and this is my experience as well. On one occasion as I watched the build up to a game the landlord turned it over to an ROI game. Not because there were any Irish in just because he felt like watching their game. Kung.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite being born in Engerland, I actually cant bring myself to support them. I used to go in with the intention of supporting them, but as soon as the first match started I'm supporting the opposition. I don't even lie to myself about it anymore. It's all we get to cheer for, and it's just a bit of banter anyway. I don't hate England, I do enjoy seeing them get beat though.

Some great ABE moments over the years.

England-Germany WC 10, Lawro took the huff after the non-goal and stopped commentating. Just brilliant.

France-England Euro 2004 Zinidine breaks English hearts with 2 injury time dead ball goals.

Any penalty shoot out ever

Brazil England WC 2002, Dave Seaman comes for a cross which is actually a shot, oops.

England USA WC 10....Green....

They're some of my major tournament highlights since world cup 98. You gotta have something to cheer for.

Damn that's pathetic,

I'm English and have lived in Scotland for over twenty years. I quite enjoy it all to be honest, its a good honest rivalry and its never personal.

I'm English and have lived in Scotland for just under twenty years.

I don't take the football banter personally but you can get foaming Scottish nationalists who's dislike of the England football team stretches a tad outwith a wee laugh. It's naive to the extreme to say it's "never" personal.

I'm English and have lived in Scotland for just under twenty years.

I don't take the football banter personally but you can get foaming Scottish nationalists who's dislike of the England football team stretches a tad outwith a wee laugh. It's naive to the extreme to say it's "never" personal.

To me, it just seems as though there's a large amount of "social programming" involved. "Under these circumstances, repeat these catchphrases"

Archived