Eurovision

Sooky

The bookies saw it right, and I've no argument with the result. But there's no way Austria would have won on audio. That's Eurovision!

Well they did after the 2nd Semi Final on Thursday night but before that they had the dreadful Armenia at odds on.

Netherlands were still available at 200/1 + and Austria at 40-80. I was tempted to add to my initial stake from the end of March on Austria when the odds went higher than the 40 I took.

post-9889-0-95491900-1399765494_thumb.jp

Enjoyed that but was crapping myself a few times that the Eastern block countries were actively trying to boost Netherlands over the controversial Conchita.

Well they did after the 2nd Semi Final on Thursday night but before that they had the dreadful Armenia at odds on.

Netherlands were still available at 200/1 + and Austria at 40-80. I was tempted to add to my initial stake from the end of March on Austria when the odds went higher than the 40 I took.

attachicon.gifeuro 100.jpg

Enjoyed that but was crapping myself a few times that the Eastern block countries were actively trying to boost Netherlands over the controversial Conchita.

Fuckme you got 40/1! Well done Sir!

Fuckme you got 40/1! Well done Sir!

Ta ...I always tend to have a look through the videos as the national winners and nominations are all about in and then keep tags on blogs to check how early live rehearsals are received to see if I need to change tact and cover my initial pick.

Was well out last year and 2010 when I was completely thrown that Germany might win, but other than that it's my big betting event of the year since being on at 20's on Serbia in 2007....bookies can't keep a Eurovision expert so stuff up a lot. To be fair Russia, Norway and Sweden were all fairly obvious at quite restrictive odds.

Ta ...I always tend to have a look through the videos as the national winners and nominations are all about in and then keep tags on blogs to check how early live rehearsals are received to see if I need to change tact and cover my initial pick.

Was well out last year and 2010 when I was completely thrown that Germany might win, but other than that it's my big betting event of the year since being on at 20's on Serbia in 2007....bookies can't keep a Eurovision expert so stuff up a lot. To be fair Russia, Norway and Sweden were all fairly obvious at quite restrictive odds.

My big bet is the Papal thing, but I usually fuckit by assuming everyone is a bit like me and want a liberal Pope. Didn't punt on the new boy, but he sounds ok.

Breakdown of how UK voted.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=GB

Good to see the phone voters voted for the tits, a song which the jury thought was the worst by some considerable distance.

Breakdown of how UK voted.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=GB

Good to see the phone voters voted for the tits, a song which the jury thought was the worst by some considerable distance.

I like how the Azerbaijan jury voted Russia and Belarus are their top two, and ranked all of the Western favourites(and obviously Armenia) right at the bottom!

And here was me thinking that the jury was introduced to stop such political voting. Ironically Austria actually came 3rd in their televoting, showing that the jury can actually further contribute to political voting in some cases.

Jury only results -

1. Austria 224

2. Sweden 206

3. Netherlands 197

4. Hungary 139

5. Finland 114

6. Armenia 113

7. Malta 107

8. Norway 102

9. Azerbaijan 101

10. Denmark 83

10. Spain 83

16. United Kingdom 49

Televote only results

1. Austria 306

2. Netherlands 220

3. Armenia 187

4. Sweden 173

5. Poland 162

6. Russia 132

7. Switzerland 115

8. Ukraine 113

9. Romania 103

10. Hungary 84

20. United Kingdom 24

There are two points I'd like to make about that. One is simple, Austria is never guaranteed votes from any country, neither the Netherlands. That blows the whole, "it's just political", out of the water. The weight of more Eastern European countries in the competition was also supposed to sound the death knell for any Western European country to win yet just look at the top 3 this year; Austria, Netherlands, Sweden.

Secondly, I think that while it would be daft of me to suggest there isn't a political agenda behind some of the voting, I think other than the booing of Russia it was one of the least politically charged competitions I've seen. However aside from the politics is it any surprise that closely linked countries vote for each other? After all they tend to share a cultural bond as well as a political and thus they will appreciate their respective music tastes.

It might not have been the old form of political but it could certainly be seen as 'politically correct' result!

Unless you believe that song would have won had it not been sung by a man in a dress with a painted on beard.

The winning song was a decent song, let's not pretend that it was utter shit when it wasn't

Obviously it's subjective, every song was pretty shit to me!

The only songs that made any impression on me were Finlands(Killers-lite) and Icelands(daft catchy fun).