Eurovision

Sooky

There are two points I'd like to make about that. One is simple, Austria is never guaranteed votes from any country, neither the Netherlands. That blows the whole, "it's just political", out of the water. The weight of more Eastern European countries in the competition was also supposed to sound the death knell for any Western European country to win yet just look at the top 3 this year; Austria, Netherlands, Sweden.

Secondly, I think that while it would be daft of me to suggest there isn't a political agenda behind some of the voting, I think other than the booing of Russia it was one of the least politically charged competitions I've seen. However aside from the politics is it any surprise that closely linked countries vote for each other? After all they tend to share a cultural bond as well as a political and thus they will appreciate their respective music tastes.

Oh I would agree with the majority of that, I've always used the argument that countries closely linked are always going to give each other points for the reason that they share similar music tastes and their acts are also big in the charts of these countries, not necessary 'political'.

However the jury was introduced to help appease nations who felt that the voting was political, but the fact that the jury of Azerbaijan, the apparent musical experts, rank Russia and Belarus as their top 2, and put The Netherlands, Austria and Sweden all at the bottom, it's clear that the jury really doesn't always help. Especially as the population of Azerbaijan had Austria as their third favourite.

I wasn't attempting to argue that the entire voting was political, after all The Netherlands came 2nd this year even though they nearly always fail to even make the final, but obviously political/tactical elements do exist, which the introduction of a 50/50 jury/televote split hasn't necessary solved.

Why do people continually cry about the winning entries in Eurovision?! We all know that it's not all about the song and that the act is a massive part of it, yet still people complain that the best song doesn't win. Do these people still somehow not understand what the Eurovision is all about? Also the whole 'political voting' has been going on for years, and I would contend that it's not really 'political'. Many of the countries who vote for their neighbours do so because they, shockingly, have a close cultural connection with their close neighbours (some of whom, for older viewers, used to be the same country).

I love watching the UK crash and burn in this every year. Her and her song were total shite. The whole point of it is not to take yourself serious.

The winning song was awful though. Only caught the voting part so from what I heard from the clips I liked The Netherlands song the best.

As it stands, The Netherlands find themselves in number 2 in the UK Charts, with Austria in 6th place. The UK are also on course for their highest chart position since 2007...with Scooch...

Aany chance of a full run down on what a week of Eurovision is like when you are actually there?

Sure thing. If you expect it to be a week long party with copious drinking you're absolutely spot-on. Most of the nights outside of when we were at the semis or final was spent in the fan village, which this year took over a 'fan mile' through central Copenhagen and the Fan Cafe, which is open for two weeks for fans if you get your wristband in advance. These places all include things such as fan meetups, performances from the acts (both in this years' and from previous years), quizzes, movie screenings and so on. The whole centre of town was buzzing for it. There's also separate LGBT events each year, this year being a Pride Square near the village which had loads going on. There was even a beach party at the harbour with saunas and all that stuff, not my thing really but my pal had a whale of a time there. The venue itself was hosted on a separate island, but they did well with buses and a river ferry to get everyone in and out. Every night at the cafe there's DJs with the usual Eurovision music and song remixes, the Huset which hosted it was over three floors so there was something going on in each. Ended up meeting Soluna Samay who sung for Denmark in 2012 alongside quite a few participants from this year. Already looking forward to Austria 2015.

I'll attach a few photos to give you an idea:

20140505_224956.jpg

Vilija, who was knocked out in SF2, giving a performance on Monday at the fan cafe

20140507_171512.jpg

TwinTwin at the Eurovision Village doing a set on Wednesday

20140510_135645.jpg

Conchita

20140509_023516.jpg

Celebrating after the first semi final and Scott Vernon's hat-trick over United

Sure thing. If you expect it to be a week long party with copious drinking you're absolutely spot-on. Most of the nights outside of when we were at the semis or final was spent in the fan village, which this year took over a 'fan mile' through central Copenhagen and the Fan Cafe, which is open for two weeks for fans if you get your wristband in advance. These places all include things such as fan meetups, performances from the acts (both in this years' and from previous years), quizzes, movie screenings and so on. The whole centre of town was buzzing for it. There's also separate LGBT events each year, this year being a Pride Square near the village which had loads going on. There was even a beach party at the harbour with saunas and all that stuff, not my thing really but my pal had a whale of a time there. The venue itself was hosted on a separate island, but they did well with buses and a river ferry to get everyone in and out. Every night at the cafe there's DJs with the usual Eurovision music and song remixes, the Huset which hosted it was over three floors so there was something going on in each. Ended up meeting Soluna Samay who sung for Denmark in 2012 alongside quite a few participants from this year. Already looking forward to Austria 2015.

Sounds like a brilliant week to be a part of! :thumsup2

I don't remember anything like that happening when we hosted it. They just stuck it away in the Symphony Hall. Mind you I don't think they had semi-finals back then so was perhaps more like a night than the week-long competition that it's evolved into.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...