The Alloa Athletic Thread

Andy Seaton sounds well up for the legends game. Trying to get him to come and play for us as well. He is the best left back (in my years and opinion) that I've seen pull on the black and gold. Genuinely chuffed to bits to get him involved.

We drew 5-5 the other night in a friendly against a Welfare League select. I was tricked into believing it was an Asda team but turned up at Lornshill and found it wasn't the case. It was full of boys who have played a decent standard at local welfare level. The fringe players and youngsters found themselves 4-0 down after 18 minutes which was harsh on them but a couple of subs in the first half brought it back to 4-2 then at half time more changes seen the scores level at 4-4 the welfare team soon found themselves in front again by luck only for the skipper Stevie Muir to pull us level. The skipper doesn't half score some wonder strikes. A hatrick on the night and not a tap in to be seen.

Chop's away, I see.

Guess the injury's still bad enough that he wouldn't have been back before the season's end. Combined with the fact that it wouldn't make much difference anyway, presumably big Mike decided to save some money. Good of him to agree to cut our losses, if that's the case. Maybe Wasps1 can fill us in on the details; preferably not at the usual ear-splitting volume, thx.

This is probably going to remain the highlight of the season, unfortunately.

Don't think there's too much more to it than what you've mentioned to be honest. He needs an op, we're basically down anyway and he's planning to head back to India this summer.

Scored some vital goals this season. Signing on again this campaign hasn't worked out, but he isn't solely to blame for that. Still wish him all the best.

A year tomorrow since he signed, one of the most surreal days in the history of the club with Chopra being announced and the team then going to Ibrox and claiming a well deserved 2-2 draw.

Unfortunately this season was a bit of a disaster for Chops. The team were really struggling in the first half of the season and he cut a pretty frustrated picture up front in the games I saw. Was galling that he then picked up the injury just as the team were starting to improve under Jack Ross. A fit Chopra would have helped over the last couple of months. With hindsight signing him again didn't work out but I think the club had to go for it at the time. Good memories of his contribution to the great escape last season, without his goal from nothing against Forfar we would probably have been relegated.

Chopra was great for us last season and despite his fitness problems you could still tell that he was a class act. This season was a bit of a disaster for him but you could see Danny Lennon's thinking pre-season - Mitchell providing a physical presence right up front, two pacey and skillful wide players and Chopra pulling the strings in behind. Unfortunately when the new signings didn't work out he was asked to play as a lone frontman chasing hopeful balls out of defence, and Chopra was never likely to thrive in that role.

Be surprised if wasps got back up in next five years tbh... Shame but almost every club in the league below is bigger than Alloa

Cowden, Brechin, Forfar, Stenny, Stranraer and ourselves are similar-sized or smaller than the Wasps, as will be the team(s) who go up from L2. I think they'll be up there next season.

Be surprised if wasps got back up in next five years tbh... Shame but almost every club in the league below is bigger than Alloa

^^^ "why oh why aren't we ever in the top league?" type post IMO

Saw in the programme today we have a Reading youngster playing for our development squad. Mo Ouedraogo I believe.

a Next Level Soccer Limited client, a company who take players from England/abroad and try and find them club's in Scotland. Two examples are Ricardo Talu to Albion Rovers and Kevin Smidht to Stranraer. Edited by ewan_fife

We got back to winning ways yesterday with a 2-1 victory over Queens Park. For two teams who have conceded 50+ goals it was surprisingly 0-0 at half time. Queens dragged us down to their pace and dictated the game in the first half. Almost pedestrian like at times and their best player in the first half was a tricky right winger who had Paul Goldie in knots at times. Queens won a dodgy penalty which they rattled off the bar. The second half saw us come into the game and we dominated the game. A fizzer of a shot from the skipper saw us deservedly go 1-0 and then ten minutes later the skipper put the game out of sight with a good second goal. Queens scored with the last kick of the ball to rob Greig Whyte of a clean sheet on his first league start for us.

Some outstanding displays from yesterday, with Wink and Smeg solid at CB and looking like they've played with each other for years. Liam Black up front causing all sorts of danger with his trickery, the skipper who never scores a tap in and Daz Reid with his direct running on the wing and then up front. The most pleasing part of yesterday was seeing Liam Preston who has came on leaps and bounds since the start of the season excelling at RB and Big Greig Whyte in goals who was outstanding. Seeing players coming in from the fringes and making a difference is brilliant. Also really good to get the whole squad a run out yesterday.

Scorer: Stephen Muir x2

MOTM: Liam Black

Edited by BigMartyn86

Well done again, Martyn.

Tempted to switch to Saturday afternoons at the work for next season, and come along to watch the big team play instead.

a Next Level Soccer Limited client, a company who take players from England/abroad and try and find them club's in Scotland. Two examples are Ricardo Talu to Albion Rovers and Kevin Smidht to Stranraer.

That almost sounds like abuse TBH   :lol:

With JR releasing his second player tonight (can't remember if it was him that released Paun and McNeil, if so fourth) you'd think he's getting the job next season and already shaping his team for it.

Aye, fourth.

It's possible that Mikk realised he wasn't going to be playing and asked to leave, but I doubt any new boss would have kept him on. Let's hope JR's getting the finances freed up for an early assault on the transfer market.

He'll need to do a Hartley during the summer and build pretty much a squad from scratch. Though I have far more faith in Ross doing it than the last two managers. Just a pity he inherited the mess Lennon left this season.