The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, whereismillar said:

every team in the championship are hoping Alloa falter next season gives them the better hope of survival, QOTS supporters must have been livid we avoided the playoffs and left them to sweat it out .

I doubt if any QoS supporters  were livid that Alloa avoided the play-offs any more than than they were livid at the other teams near the bottom securing safety. Most QoS fans  appreciate that  our  position owed little to the performances of other teams and was wholly down to our own (or Naysmith's)  ineptitude.  As for next season,  as long as we finish out of danger I couldn't care who finishes below us.  Some Alloa fans do appear to have a "wee part time team"  chip on their shoulders. 

4 hours ago, whereismillar said:

every team in the championship are hoping Alloa falter next season gives them the better hope of survival, QOTS supporters must have been livid we avoided the playoffs and left them to sweat it out .

I think the most livid in the division were our near neighbours across the Clackmannanshire Bridge who still believe they are a big team

They do have a big support though.

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I doubt if any QoS supporters  were livid that Alloa avoided the play-offs any more than than they were livid at the other teams near the bottom securing safety. Most QoS fans  appreciate that  our  position owed little to the performances of other teams and was wholly down to our own (or Naysmith's)  ineptitude.  As for next season,  as long as we finish out of danger I couldn't care who finishes below us.  Some Alloa fans do appear to have a "wee part time team"  chip on their shoulders. 

I think it's hard for some fans to shed this chip, because every time something is  printed about us, we are the wee part time team, and we are seldom given the credit we deserve because of this 'status'. 

For me, I support a team whose ambition is to finish 8th at this level, anything else is a bonus.  I am looking forward to the coming season, with or without JG.  And if we show the spirit and a little more belief in ourselves, then it's already a successful season for me.

Not sure if it was mentioned already but good interview with Tags in the Advertiser where he confirms he has signed again. Another terrific player and key part of the nucleus that has been so important to us. Delighted that he will be back for more. 

Whoever is in charge is going to have a fair bit of work to do but will have an excellent base to build from. 

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ok Seething then  ;) I can understand how many think we have a chip on our shoulders , at least we are defending our team and not slagging the sh*t out of them every week

when you are constantly written off you do tend to get a bit defensive so no apologies there . See the source image

I think it's hard for some fans to shed this chip, because every time something is  printed about us, we are the wee part time team, and we are seldom given the credit we deserve because of this 'status'. 

I've seen nothing but credit for Alloa for surviving this season. Goodwin has been getting praise right, left and centre in both the press and on social media. If anything being the "wee part-time team" has gained you even more credit than if you were a run of the mill, Championship full-time team.

We were always written off as well, it's only natural for that to happen when you are one of/the smallest club in the league but we were always praised highly for surviving, much like yourselves.

Before your good run towards the end of the season you were probably the most of the medias tip to go down, but to say you haven't had praise for proving those predictions wrong is very much wide of the mark.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've seen nothing but credit for Alloa for surviving this season. Goodwin has been getting praise right, left and centre in both the press and on social media. If anything being the "wee part-time team" has gained you even more credit than if you were a run of the mill, Championship full-time team.

We were always written off as well, it's only natural for that to happen when you are one of/the smallest club in the league but we were always praised highly for surviving, much like yourselves.

Before your good run towards the end of the season you were probably the most of the medias tip to go down, but to say you haven't had praise for proving those predictions wrong is very much wide of the mark.

I think most of the complaints about 'wee plucky alloa' were at the start of the season when we were playing well but just couldn't get the first goal. We'd end up dominating games but having nothing to show for it or at the very least be chasing our tails and the media would report it like it was a shock result. (maybe on stature but not on balance of play)

Certainly showed we were a good team at new year when we went on a run and we were getting all the plaudits but I'm convinced once Zanatta signed his contract with Hearts he went off the boil and we faltered everyone was back to "you're just as bad as everyone else."

Once we got Aitchison in the middle it picked up again with the 4 wins on the bounce but the football was more defensive just because it was squeaky bum time.

I'm conviced we have a better style to watch than Morton, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Queen of the South. We were better than Dundee United 4 out of 6 times last year. Ross County dominated us except in the game we beat them but they were pretty workmanlike. Thought Partick were a no bad football team but had no idea what to do in the final third.

Spency might be biased but he has just summed it up well on twitter.

https://twitter.com/greigspence/status/1133456958093189120

The consistent “defence” put forward from Wasps supporters from Q2 onwards last season was about the team spirit and stickability of the team allied with decent technical ability. When presented against the usual statistically based logic that we were part-time fodder and were going down it’s not surprising that our responses would look and feel defensive. The message from Wasps fans was “don’t write us off” which proved to be a telling point.

32 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Always said Dumbarton were the benchmark , how many seasons were you in the Champs ? if we match you guys the whole furore will calm down 

Hi lads,

If the stories are to be believed, Jim Goodwin will be our next manager. 

Firstly, if it's true, apologies for stealing your manager again, it must be shite. 

Secondly, what will we be getting from Goodwin as a manager?

Thirdly, will we get 12 points from the dabs and go straight up as champions?

I appreciate that these are difficult questions given that we've currently got about 3 players but please do your best. 

Thank you in advance. 

Apologies ? so you should , bastids stealing oor manager ..again

Goodwin , took over from jack ross and did well . with  full time players to choose from his signings should improve 

seems to be a good man manager , plenty of touchline action always speaking/shouting to players seems to be a good motivator

the 12 points are guaranteed , not so promotion .

the Alloa fans had fun singing "Dundee is blue " while playing said Dabs..

Edited by whereismillar

Alloa Advertiser - “If Goodwin was to leave, East Fife manager and former Wasps Darren Young has already been suggested as a potential replacement by club insiders”

Easy connection for a line to drop at the end of the article or something more in it? Just signed a new two year deal which would maybe suggest it’s the first, an easy name drop.

Alloa Advertiser - “If Goodwin was to leave, East Fife manager and former Wasps Darren Young has already been suggested as a potential replacement by club insiders”

Weetoonlad trolling the advertiser now [emoji23]

Hi lads,
If the stories are to be believed, Jim Goodwin will be our next manager. 
Firstly, if it's true, apologies for stealing your manager again, it must be shite. 
Secondly, what will we be getting from Goodwin as a manager?
Thirdly, will we get 12 points from the dabs and go straight up as champions?
I appreciate that these are difficult questions given that we've currently got about 3 players but please do your best. 
Thank you in advance. 
Your getting a manager who loves to play football with good ball players . hard working guy who will put everything into getting yous back up . His Man management skills are great knows when to kick and knows when to cuddle . lol hes kick a few as a player . totally different as a Gaffer . he will probably bring in an Number 2 and keep Mcpake as a first team coach . we might do a swap Goodwin for Mcpake he is well thought of as a coach .JG has been great for our club and great to work with . am sure all Alloa Fans wish him well if he does go . only time will tell he back from holidays this week . So who for us next . My choice would be Stephen Craigan at Motherwell

10 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Easy connection for a line to drop at the end of the article or something more in it? Just signed a new two year deal which would maybe suggest it’s the first, an easy name drop.

Theres been interest in Darren in the past. Not saying hes been offered the managers job before, but the club looked into process, albeit Albion Rovers at the time wanted a high compensation fee (which was obviously their right to do so)

Week in week out East Fife and Rovers fans will be in a far better position to comment, but from what ive seen of his teams against us in the past hes been able to set up teams fairly well against us. Thats a quality that may be high on the agenda.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

1 hour ago, weetoonlad said:

My choice would be Stephen Craigan at Motherwell

I think it might be preferable to have a guy with at least some management experience. Jim Goodwin had time to cut his teeth and make some mistakes in League One.  In the Championship its tougher to do so. Of course a managerial appointment tends to work or it doesnt, and application of any logic can go out the window.

You want a guy who can immediately come in and get a feel for working with and tweaking a pretty strong existing base.