The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 minute ago, nugs said:

Lots of division 1 and 2 clubs signing players on loan. Still can't get my head around why we didn't add more.

Presumably PG didn't think there was anything available that was noticeably better than what we have.

Does that mean that the lower leagues think they'll be resuming their season soon?

A bit early maybe, but what the heck. Seeing Robbo's classy performance on Saturday got me thinking about this year's PotY.

I don't think there are many candidates, with the likes of Parry, big Andy and Trouts not quite attaining their usual high standards this season, IMO.

For me there were three candidates; Taggs, Kev and Hetherington, but I'd now include Robbo as a fourth. There's also a chance Innes Cameron could be in the running if he maintains his current strike rate.

I'll not go into any further details about my  choices as I'm sure everyone else will have thoughts of their own.

Edited by printer

Agree that it’ll be hard to pick a POTY this season. Liam Dick and Stevie H have probably been most consistent. I think Cawley has really stepped up a few times this season when we’ve needed him - It didn’t always lead to points on the board but feel like he gave us a fighting chance in some games (Hearts at home, Dunfermline away) as well as the winner at home against QoS. Lots of football still to go though.

7 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I'd agree there isnt too many huge standouts due to injuries and seemingly constant forced reshuffling of the team, particularly in midfield.

Liam Dick has probably been our most consistent player in terms of weekly output.

Liam is a bit of an unsung hero. Very seldom does anything flashy, but he's been steady since he joined the club.

28 minutes ago, printer said:

Liam is a bit of an unsung hero. Very seldom does anything flashy, but he's been steady since he joined the club.

Yeah you get a solid 7 or 8/10 most weeks.

Cawley probably the standout performer.

At least Goal of the season looks a certainty to be fairly undisputed

• 2 weeks later...

I can only echo what has been said elaewhere regarding Ray Grant.
From what I've seen he's not terrible, but certainly ineffective. More often than not, the game seems to pass him by.
I know Clyde fans rate(d) him but, on his showings for us, I just don't see it.
I also agree with a comment from@whereismillar on the Arbroath v Alloa thread that Ray's father has his "rose tinted spectacles" on where his son is concerned.
Perhaps it's time for him to change his eye wear. I suggest he might want to look at the Ray-Ban range!

I also agree with what@Waspie has been banging on about for ages, and I've said the same. We have little or no pace to threaten any team. For all of the strengths of the guys that play week in week out, being quick isn't one of them.
With a midfield of Grant, Hetherington, Cawley, Trouten and Murray, we rely on Taggart and/or Dick to motor up and down more than is fair.

I also don't know what the exact script is with Scougall, but he must be so frustrated when he's fit, but benched, and looking on at what's happening on the park.

Does anyone known why we haven't utilised the loan system to any great extent?
Other teams have brought in their fair share of loanees. We haven't.
I appreciate that we don't play on a level playing field with the FT teams as far as finances go but, although they're only one place and four points ahead, Arbroath seem to have done not too bad in the loan department.

One thing this team does have though is fight. It's very rarely anyone can say that the team chucked it. They just don't.
I only hope that they can find what's needed and extend our stay in this division.

Ha-ha, yeah, I know TL;DR.

With regards to Scougall, it appears problems with knocks and injuries has been an issue throughout his career.

Undoubtedly a class act, but just cant get a run of games without being ruled out. Essentially hes similar to Flannigan in his first few seasons at Alloa.

I take the point on loan signings, but  Innes Cameron has been terrific. Probably even better than Ross Stewart was in terms of a similar loan signing, certainly at the same level in terms of impact at the club.

It's the same for all teams of course but I think the pandemic has affected us significantly. Our strength is in the unit and camaraderie in the group, and it's been harder to keep that together this season.

A huge game on Saturday where we are capable of getting a result. Regardless of where we end up I think there will be changes in summer. We have got 5 years out of this core of players, a similar timescale to the team Hartley built. We may need a season or so to make that transition, whatever league we are in.

Said it numerous times but I'll just be happy to get back to games next season whatever happens.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Nice to See PG has won SPFL manager of the month 

with Ray Grant SPFL player of the month, 👏

You could have gone for something more plausible, like Ian Black finally rocking up at The Recs.

With regards to Scougall, it appears problems with knocks and injuries has been an issue throughout his career.
Undoubtedly a class act, but just cant get a run of games without being ruled out. Essentially hes similar to Flannigan in his first few seasons at Alloa.
I take the point on loan signings, but  Innes Cameron has been terrific. Probably even better than Ross Stewart was in terms of a similar loan signing, certainly at the same level in terms of impact at the club.
It's the same for all teams of course but I think the pandemic has affected us significantly. Our strength is in the unit and camaraderie in the group, and it's been harder to keep that together this season.
A huge game on Saturday where we are capable of getting a result. Regardless of where we end up I think there will be changes in summer. We have got 5 years out of this core of players, a similar timescale to the team Hartley built. We may need a season or so to make that transition, whatever league we are in.
Said it numerous times but I'll just be happy to get back to games next season whatever happens.

Scougall is a great option to have coming off the bench and adding legs to a game, just wish we’d see him being brought on early enough to have an impact!