The Alloa Athletic Thread

15 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If we do get relegated Hearts fans are going to be all over us like flies.🤔

I want everyone to remain calm and remember we would've won the last 9 games to stay up. Noone can tell us differently.

I get you,  but last time we were very close to getting the good results , we are way off this season IMO 

Maybe it was just coming off that Inverness win, but I was starting to feel confident we weren't finishing in the bottom two last season.

Real feeling that we're playing for second bottom unless things pick up, and the play-offs look like a tough proposition this season. Still, not much to be done other than hope the manager can get us picking up points where it counts.

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

If we do get relegated Hearts fans are going to be all over us like flies.🤔

Single handedly your fault by trying to ruffle feathers for a few likes.  To quote Craig Levein you made us a laughing stock on twitter, where podcasts comments negatively on your behaviour. Take the hint. 

Focus your skillset elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Single handedly your fault by trying to ruffle feathers for a few likes.  To quote Craig Levein you made us a laughing stock on twitter, where podcasts comments negatively on your behaviour. Take the hint. 

Focus your skillset elsewhere. 

You're becoming dull to the point of actual spamming now.

Owned up to who you are yet?

51 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

My influence goes to the very top. 😂

Don't worry I'm single handedly going to null and void the lower leagues to avoid said relegation.

Not single handedly, you're in a queue behind SFA, SPFL and wee Nicola. I think it's likely to happen and you'll be safe come May.

24 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Not single handedly, you're in a queue behind SFA, SPFL and wee Nicola. I think it's likely to happen and you'll be safe come May.

Putting my sensible hat on for a minute. Surely if it's voided it would be because the leagues own members voted for it? The SFA and the government can say you can't play but actually stopping the league will need to be decided by Leagues 1 and 2. 

Even if it doesn't restart I can't see there not being some league reconstruction. I've got a vague recollection of an expanded Championship plan being talked about like a formality a few years ago. I'd like to see bigger leagues in general, whether we get relegated or not.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Was really pleased when we signed Ray Grant as had always thought he looked a great player at Clyde but have been really disappointed with him. We’ve only got 2 wins in the league this season and he didn’t feature in either, don’t think that’s a coincidence. Gives the ball away too often and doesn’t defend well enough for me. If the manager is planning on using Lynch at RB until taggart is back I’d be tempted to try robbo in beside hetherington to see how that goes.
Phones Danny Lennon[emoji3513]

If we can still sign domestic loans this month,are there any rumours of players coming in,because it's been as plain as the nose on your face that we need a pacy front man that can get in behind defences.If we don't get someone in i fear for us staying in the championship.But the way things are panning out i can't see any new faces coming in.Signings this year have been  poor.

To get the pace we are looking for get Scougall off the bench.Far too good a player to not be in the side.He and Kev give us plenty pace up top and support for the front man.Taggart and Robertson have done great for us in defence but they are not in their best positions.Taggs at his best is an attacking full back and he is quick and Robbo is a midfielder with the passing game that gets our players on the ball going forward.Its much easier to defend when you are not doing it for the whole game.

2 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

My views are Taggs at centre half with Andy and robbo at full back the young boy from QP is struggling with the pace of the championship 

Need to try and find a space for SS but who do u drop? 

Take grant out and put scougall in would-be my shout, bring trouten  back into midfield,  and play scougall up with cameron.

In terms of personnel in the middle of the park, we have excellent players at the club. But somewhat understandably following Flannigans departure we just havent managed to implement a settled balance. Whilst we dont want to dwell on the past, you can see more and more each week just how good Flannigan was in adding structure to that midfield, taking the pressure off his team mates and allowing them to apply themselves in the most effective way.

In terms of ability Flannigan was lower end Premiership. We are probably never going to be able to bring someone in who could do what he did. But we can approach it in a different way based on what we have at the club.

Injuries have played a part in this, with the midfield combinations forced into alteration most weeks. The players are certainly capable of playing a number of interchangeable roles but I think the enforced and deliberate changing has disrupted our flow and it's hard to be consistent. We've also tried pushing the full backs further up the pitch far more often.

Scougall is great on the ball but isnt going to cover the whole pitch and run games. Trouten has shown elements of sitting a bit deeper and trying to run the show. Hes certainly capable of it but it dilutes his goal threat a bit and I find in some games hes trying to do too much and spreads himself thin. Cawley has probably been our main creative spark in there all season. Grant has had some good games but for me has still to fully define a solid role in midfield.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Jamieson and Grant are being mentioned here (as i have ) these lads need to up thier game that is for sure 

what has happened to blair Malcolm ? he was always dependable and fairly sound  and can fit into midfied and do a job  IMO .

as for the defence another loanee in the mould of  Deas would be nice  but i realise how difficult /lucky that would be to secure  .

start the team that finished the QOS game more or less please Mr Grant ! .

Totally agree that Jamiesons early form has tailed off a bit, but worth noting that I didnt feel Robbie pulled up any trees until November/December last season. Its takes time to hit a high level of performance on a consistent basis, and its a step up for him.

At the moment, I'd agree that its probably for the best in the short term to move Taggart into centre- but certainly havent written Jamieson off as a flop either.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

53 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Totally agree that Jamiesons early form has tailed off a bit, but worth noting that I didnt feel Robbie pulled up any trees until November/December last season. Its takes time to hit a high level of performance on a consistent basis, and its a step up for him.

At the moment, I'd agree that its probably for the best in the short term to move Taggart into centre- but certainly havent written Jamieson off as a flop either.

Totally agree with this, and with the earlier post (and programme piece!) about injuries upsetting our attempts to get a settled team.

Regarding Jamieson, he had some terrific games when he came into the team. Maybe dropped off a bit but as you say still very early days for a young player who has jumped up a couple of levels. Feels like an element of scapegoating here based on very little. I'd be hopeful there is a lot more to come from him. And with Grant, certainly feel we can get more out him too but he is also still finding his feet. The Flanny comparison is unfair, but also worth remembering Grant has done much more in his first few months at Alloa than Flanny did! 

Game off tomorrow for sure which is no bad thing with Arbroath to come on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Feels like an element of scapegoating here based on very little

based on the manager punting him at half time ? , we cant afford to wait on a player improving (if he will ) or we will descend somewhere more akin to his level

yes it is hard finding good players part time for the championship and i am maybe being a bit harsh . with Taggs back we should as i said before go mainly with the 2nd half team from the QOS game . as someone said a few posts back some of us  have seen it all  and the signs were /are not good . and i admit i never fancied PG when he was announced as manager , he won me over end of last season but he has me worried now .

If Jamieson can up his game fair enough  we shall see .

Edited by whereismillar