The Alloa Athletic Thread

When Ally was with our youth's, he genuinely looked like a player that had a promising career in front of him. I watched him rip teams apart, or score "1 chance, 1 goal" type goals and it really was no surprise to see a team like Hearts come in for him and for him to be off, and who can blame him, we would all have loved to fulfil full time football, but it's just never really happened for him.

I've seen him play a handful of times since, at Stenny and at Airdrie, and every time I've seen him he's looked a shadow of the young spritely player I used to watch on the Forthbank astro, so much so that I don't think he was ever a standout in any of those games.

I'm sure Rice has seen something in him recently that he thinks he can work with, and for Roy's sake I hope he can get his career back on track but if it was Stirling's new signing, I would be pretty underwhelmed because he has had a number of chances now and has just not delivered. 

If Wales also signs does that not mean Alloa have 3 loan strikers with that Stevens guy as well. You also have Donnelly (who I rate and would probably say your best striker), Sammon and Rodden I don't think they will be many teams in this league or in the SPFL in general who have 6 first team strikers guessing that there will be 1 or 2 at least who can play in other positions?

2 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

If Wales also signs does that not mean Alloa have 3 loan strikers with that Stevens guy as well. You also have Donnelly (who I rate and would probably say your best striker), Sammon and Rodden I don't think they will be many teams in this league or in the SPFL in general who have 6 first team strikers guessing that there will be 1 or 2 at least who can play in other positions?

Hope so because that's what they'll be doing 😆

2 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Steven is pretty versatile. Played for St Johnstone in the R/LAM position so I'd not peg him as out and out striker. Very hardworking too.

Donnelly has struggled for fitness in general and is just on the way back again but probably played best behind the strikers in our 3-4-1-2. Rodden is hard done by in my eyes. Sammon is 37 year old and while he's still picking up one or two his career is very much in the twilight I'd suggest. 

Wales and Roy - 3 from 6 if everyone is fit.

Rodden must be feeling like he has been cast aside with all of these signings , unfairly if this is the case 

still feel we could have signed a loan defender worth his salt instead of Roy , but give the man a chance and hope he recaptures his youthful flair .

7 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Hope so because that's what they'll be doing 😆

The possibilities are endless ,Still think Ogayi could do the business up front   😉

Cannon of to benburb on loan too i see .

Edited by Vegetableman

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Steven is pretty versatile. Played for St Johnstone in the R/LAM position so I'd not peg him as out and out striker. Very hardworking too.

Donnelly has struggled for fitness in general and is just on the way back again but probably played best behind the strikers in our 3-4-1-2. Rodden is hard done by in my eyes. Sammon is 37 year old and while he's still picking up one or two his career is very much in the twilight I'd suggest. 

Wales and Roy - 3 from 6 if everyone is fit.

Yeah I don't really know much about Stevens. I seen last season Rodden scored a lot of goals from coming off the bench maybe Rice sees him as more of a super sub rather than a starter. I do like Donnelly and I think he will probably be one if not your best player when he's fully fit Cammy O'Donnell also impressed me against us. Sammon might also be a good option off the bench might like you said he's 37 now I wouldn't be starting him every week if you had others players available. Wales was highly rated at Killie I've read a couple of promising things about him think Killie gave him a long term contract as well so that could be a really good signing if it happens. Roy might be a decent option in league 1. 

Feel for Rodden, he's not had much of a look in this season.

I'd also say in a few games, it's not been our strikers fault we aren't scoring, they weren't getting any service up to them.

Hopefully the new loanees come good and Rice can turn the performances around. Still think we'd have benefited from a loan CB though.

9 minutes ago, Rory said:

Feel for Rodden, he's not had much of a look in this season.

I'd also say in a few games, it's not been our strikers fault we aren't scoring, they weren't getting any service up to them.

Hopefully the new loanees come good and Rice can turn the performances around. Still think we'd have benefited from a loan CB though.

Our attacking players haven't been linking up well enough with the midfield They don't hold the ball or consistently show good movement IMO. We've been badly missing Ross McIver.

9 minutes ago, printer said:

Our attacking players haven't been linking up well enough with the midfield They don't hold the ball or consistently show good movement IMO. We've been badly missing Ross McIver.

Agreed, I said to my Dad we're still playing as if we've got MacIver up top. He was the striker I wanted to resign most for this season.

Sammon is a big unit, but he's not the best at holding the ball up or winning flick ons so it's a bit frustrating we're still pumping so many balls from defence to him and bypassing our midfield

Very bizarre loan signing in Roy, hasn't been prolific anywhere, if he was any good surely East Kilbride would have kept him.

If he has been signed to play the Willie Irvine role then I feel for the likes of Kevin Cawley who would be excellent in that position.

Also means Rodden who scored 3 in 4 games will probably be dropping down the order.

Let's see what he is like but not holding out much hope. 

Edited by Magic Hat

Wales seems to get good write ups from Killie fans so that's a promising signing. I think that we now have a first team squad of 24 or 25 players (depending on how you look at Burt) which seems pretty big for a team at our level. I imagine that it's going to be quite a task for Brian Rice to keep them all happy.