The Alloa Athletic Thread

Quite surprised he has resigned at this stage, I thought he would have stayed until the end of season. I thought he did a poor enough job last season really and wasn't hopeful in the summer but to be fair to Barry he has overseen a few brilliant results this season and in general had the team playing pretty well on a consistent basis. The problem was the failure to collect the points the performances often merited and without doubt there would have been more pressure on him but for those few stand out results.

Good luck to Barry Smith, his overall record was poor but first Alloa manager in 90 years to beat Hibs and to draw at Ibrox and first ever to oversee an Alloa win over Rangers plus he leaves us in a cup final, that's a list of achievements he can be proud of.

I've no idea who we turn to now but whoever comes in has a cracking squad for part time level to try and get enough points to keep us up and try and win a cup. Over to you Mr Mulraney.

Disappointed to see Barry go . But a least it gives the club time to appoint someone so we can stay up

Danny Lennon my first choice

Darren young my Second choice

And Mark Wilson my Third

All the best to Barry

Disappointed to see Barry go . But a least it gives the club time to appoint someone so we can stay up

Danny Lennon my first choice

Darren young my Second choice

And Mark Wilson my Third

All the best to Barry

Howzaboot givin JN an interview? He's as local lad for u lot, no?

Ideal appointment.

Danny Lennon was sitting in the alloa directors box last Saturday vs Hibs, I would give it to him or Kenny shiels, hopefully get something sorted for next weekend and we can kick on from there!! All the best to Barry in the future, players really let him down and I think he could have won the challenge cup and kept us up still but that's football

Edited by liammcintosh01

players really let him down

I don't agree with that. The players have performed consistently well in relation to their ability, with the exception of Greig Spence, who hasn't properly applied himself for several months now.

We haven't scored enough goals, pure and simple, and Barry didn't address this in January - and perhaps he should have addressed it before then.

I'm not sure his leaving is a good thing or not.

I'd just like to add a couple of things.

Firstly, thanks to Barry for several of the performances against the three 'big teams' in the league this year, and of course the greatest win in our history - before and after which he was a credit to the club.

Secondly, I wish him well for the future.

Danny Lennon was sitting in the alloa directors box last Saturday vs Hibs, I would give it to him or Kenny shiels, hopefully get something sorted for next weekend and we can kick on from there!! All the best to Barry in the future, players really let him down and I think he could have won the challenge cup and kept us up still but that's football

Kenny Shiels. Definitely give the job to Kenny Shiels. Would be a great appointment.

I've got to say I'm surprised Spence hasn't fired in the goals for Alloa. Sure he was never going to be anything more than about 12-15 goals but he should've been able to hit at least 9 or 10.

Smith could clearly see where the issue was, he signed a few strikers in January IIRC but none of them were proven goalscorers at this level. Shame things never worked out for him as he always came across as a decent bloke (far more likeable than Mr Hartley)

Hopefully you'll stay up, the Recs is my favourite away day in the league. Unless someone finds the net semi-regularly it's looking unlikely however.

How would Alloa fans feel about Brown Ferguson being given the job? Even till the end of the season?

Not for me, don't get this thing that we must give it to/consider ex players, we should go for the best candidate who wants the job irrespective of who they are. In my opinion there will be better options than Ferguson or Young at the moment, Lennon or Adams if he was interested would be my choices.

I would take elvis till the end of the season.

The next manager will have some connection to Celtic no doubt.

Edited by Waspy