The Alloa Athletic Thread

I'm awful with names and faces, but these guys definitely started: Couser, Hynd, Wilson, Flanaghan, Weatherston, Tiffoney, Hoggan, Moore, and big Russell McLean eventually came on towards the end. Tiff had a lot of the play, but didn't do anything particularly special, sadly. Nobody was outstanding TBH.

I tried asking the club about team sheets for the reserve games a while back, but I was told they couldn't help, strangely. Tried the SPFL a couple of times too, but they don't seem to reply to emails. I know when to take "f**k off" for an answer :P

Team sheets obviously aren't reproduced like first team games, and there isn't usually anyone in the office on Mondays to run off copies anyway. I have got hold of a few team sheets from reserve games, but it's only when I've met the match programme editor during the game, and he's been kind enough to go and run me off a copy.

Yesterday's Evening Telegraph seems to make it highly likely that Meggatt is on his way to Dens. Looking forward to seeing how he does. Where is he better, centre back or left back?

Excited to see how he gets on with full-time training. Our better players that Hartley has signed have been the guys we took from part time teams; Stewart, McGinn and Bain,.

Yesterday's Evening Telegraph seems to make it highly likely that Meggatt is on his way to Dens. Looking forward to seeing how he does. Where is he better, centre back or left back?

Excited to see how he gets on with full-time training. Our better players that Hartley has signed have been the guys we took from part time teams; Stewart, McGinn and Bain,.

You will probably get a bit of a debate on this Harry, he has played the majority of the games with us as a left back but when he has played centre half in my opinion he looks a better player and happier playing there.

He is quite small for a centre half but has a great leap and not many get the better of him in the air as he really attacks the ball well. He is no speed merchant but is no slouch either, solid in the tackle, can strike a good shot,doesnt seem to suffer from injuries and gives his all in every game. The only negative thing i could say about him is that his distribution can be suspect and he is not one for firing over dangerous crosses from wide areas but if he is used as a centre half then this wouldnt be an issue.

All in all a very good player who with the right coaching and full time training will be able to cope with the demands of the SPL no bother and if he continues to develop as he is could be a good wee investment for Dundee. Will be sad to see him go.

I would agree with Craigy, Meggat is a very solid LB but I do think that centre back is potentially his best position. He took his chance with QP after being picked up from amateur football and he has coped well with every step up at Alloa. I would imagine he will continue to improve with full time training and better players around him.

When was the last time Meggatt played at centre-back, out of curiosity?

He had a run of around 5 games there this season in late August/early September when Marr was injured against Stirling in the Petrofac Cup- played centre half in games against Cowdenbeath, Hamilton, Hibs, Morton and Livingston. Had a spell out injured after this, as he'd be playing through a fracture in his foot for a while

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I think Meggatt is a really good left back, hence why he plays there the majority of the time for Alloa. I agree with the views above to an extent, but my take on it is that to go up a level to Premiership Daryll maybe doesnt offer you quite enough if you are looking for your full backs to get forward and provide a regular attacking threat. Thats not to say he couldnt get there though with good full time coaching. But this is maybe why he is portrayed as being a better centre half -and he does consistently shine when deployed there.

Daryll is dependable, composed, strong and his positional awareness is really good. Has been an excellent player for Alloa over the past two and a half seasons.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

He had a run of around 5 games there this season in late August/early September when Marr was injured against Stirling in the Petrofac Cup- played centre half in games against Cowdenbeath, Hamilton, Hibs, Morton and Livingston. Had a spell out injured after this, as he'd be playing through a fracture in his foot for a while

Jesus, my memory. Thanks.

Hopefully he does well with the switch to full-time; he certainly seems like he'd be committed enough to give it his best shot. You'd like to think he'd be leaving with all of our best wishes.

Good win at the weekend for Alloa. Looks like it's a fight with Cowdenbeath to avoid the play off places.

It'll be a very one sided right now ;) in all seriousness though I see this going right into the final game with us hosting cowdenbeath

It'll be a very one sided right now ;) in all seriousness though I see this going right into the final game with us hosting cowdenbeath

You could put money on that and, indeed, could've done at the start of the season.

Still think Livingston will bite both of us on the arse too.

Alba obsessed with raith and especially falkirk.

unsurprisingly cowden havent featured once and unlikely we will either.

That is shite, especially considering how often we've been on this season.

Surely the big end of season showdown at the Recs will be on the telly?

Here's hoping that game won't be a big end of season showdown!

It's as inevitable as the motion of the tides. Destiny.

Even if we go on a run now, Cowden will pull a few wins against the big boys out of nowhere. Which would be hilarious because of Livingston, but still :P

That is shite, especially considering how often we've been on this season.

Surely the big end of season showdown at the Recs will be on the telly?

Hopefully a repeat of the scenes at the end of the 91-92 season, albeit this time it will be a relegation decider. strangely it will be exactly 23 years to the day the day the game is played. 02/05/1992 - 02/05/2015