The Alloa Athletic Thread

I reckon ferns will step into the Kevin Cawley role next season. Like Martin says I would take both they players at Alloa but I think hippolyte would have a few offers if he was released.

I reckon ferns will step into the Kevin Cawley role next season. Like Martin says I would take both they players at Alloa but I think hippolyte would have a few offers if he was released.

Nothing aginst the guy but FFS if we are going to be relying on the likes of Ferns next season we are in big trouble, ended up last season on the bench for Rovers in the 3rd Division, he would struggle to get a game in a decent junior side. I would still think he will get released, cant see any point in freeing the likes of Spence and Tiffoney and keeping Ferns.

The idea of Fast Eddie being our midfield dynamo next season gives me The Fear. Down by Christmas :shutup

Still better than the idea of Talbot, however. Don't much fancy spending the year cringing whenever an opposition player ends up in the hospital.

Livi's gameplan last season seemed to consist of relentless clogging and remorseless playacting, so I'm thinking that any of their players would need to undergo some kind of de-programming to enable them to actually play football again.

Nothing aginst the guy but FFS if we are going to be relying on the likes of Ferns next season we are in big trouble, ended up last season on the bench for Rovers in the 3rd Division, he would struggle to get a game in a decent junior side. I would still think he will get released, cant see any point in freeing the likes of Spence and Tiffoney and keeping Ferns.

He's been given a one year contract.

https://twitter.com/eddieferns7/status/606801173753044992

Shocker mate, would have been the first on my list to free, could barely cut it in the bottom league, there is one wage down the drain, will never cut it at this level.

Early days yet but if this is the sign of things to come as BFTD says we will be down by Christmas, smacks of a bit of desperation if we are handing out contracts to the likes of Eddie without considering who else is out there, dont get Lennon's thinking on this at all.

Let's hope DL has a role in mind for him that we haven't seen yet. Another season on the fringes would be a bit pointless for player and club IMO.

I can understand us having a soft spot for him, but I'm not seeing how he's going to be an effective and regular first teamer. Fingers crossed; would love to be wrong.

I'd rather keep the likes of Ferns and Hetherington as squad players instead of getting in some useless youngsters like Caddis and Caldwell on loan to boost up the numbers and who haven't been at the club for a while and part of the "team spirit".

I'd rather keep the likes of Ferns and Hetherington as squad players instead of getting in some useless youngsters like Caddis and Caldwell on loan to boost up the numbers and who haven't been at the club for a while and part of the "team spirit".

I'd agree with that. Just hoping that we'd be looking to bring in some better players to replace them. Not loaners, though; that's shite.

Hetherington's worth keeping anyway IMO.

Can see what your saying but i think we will have to put this "Team Spirit" to bed now. Meggart, Cawley, McCord, Spence and Simmons have gone, i wouldnt be surprised if Gordon and Buchannan had better offers so we are going to have a new team with a new manager so wouldnt want to keep a player just because he was essentially on the periphary of a successful squad which has basically been disbanded. In my mind a squad player should be able to step up to the team when needed without the team being comprimised, for me Eddie does not fit into this criteria, obviously would love to be proved wrong.

Where did Spence head to again?

I think to be honest most of the teams outside of St Mirren and Hibs will have a lot of business to do this pre season. Queens and Falkirk may keep the core of their squads but every other teams it seems will have a new look team after the summer.

Where did Spence head to again?

I think to be honest most of the teams outside of St Mirren and Hibs will have a lot of business to do this pre season. Queens and Falkirk may keep the core of their squads but every other teams it seems will have a new look team after the summer.

Don't think anywhere yet but I heard a rumour in the last few games he was heading to Dunfermline. Makes sense if he does, closer to home and full time

I'm assuming they've all been given their offers and are mulling them over. Eddie clearly was amazed to be getting one at all and snatched the club's arm off :P

Although I understand where some of you are coming from, I think Eddie is getting a bit of a raw deal here. Yes he can be frustrating at times, but he does have his uses too. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times but he has pace to burn and can be a useful weapon, especially coming on as a substitute towards the last quarter of a game when players he is already quicker than have begun to tire.

I remember reading an article about Terry Christie when he was at Stenhousemuir and he had a midfielder (not sure of his name) who he said couldn't play football to save himself but he could run all day long. He simply played him as more of a positional player to stifle the opposition coming forward and this allowed his players to get back into position whenever an attack had broken down or he'd win a race to the ball to get possession back. Pretty sure he played in their famous cup run when they beat Aberdeen and St Johnstone before Hibs beat them in the quarters.

I've been raging at Eddie before, especially when he swung over a free-kick from near the sideline in the last minute whilst we were a goal down only for it to clear not only the players in the box but KFC too!! However, he turned the semi-final against Rangers when he came on (still feeling the effects of the flu!) and it's a game all us wasps will remember for our entire lifetime.

I'd give both him and Danny Lennon the benefit of the doubt for now and see how things develop with him.

Edited by Sevennil