The Alloa Athletic Thread

You'll not have any money left I hope?

We have about 8 signed players on reasonable contracts. No one signed so far will command a huge wage and we've just lost our highest earner. Add to that Murray leaving and Aitken almost certainly being on a lower wage.

I don't think what we're offering will be much more than yourselves. I remember Danny Lennon being hugely unpopular with the St Mirren players, maybe it's the same at Alloa?

We have about 8 signed players on reasonable contracts. No one signed so far will command a huge wage and we've just lost our highest earner. Add to that Murray leaving and Aitken almost certainly being on a lower wage.

I don't think what we're offering will be much more than yourselves. I remember Danny Lennon being hugely unpopular with the St Mirren players, maybe it's the same at Alloa?

Wee kev doesn't come cheap btw. Interesting times lie ahead certainly. Couldn't comment on Danny's relationship with players but everything seemed ok looking in.

Sparky is no great loss in my opinion. When we got promoted to championship Hartley punted him probably recognising that as much he was a solid player he wasn't going to be good enough for the step up. I thought he struggled at times last season and looked out of his depth at that level playing in midfield and it looks like Lennon didn't push the boat out to keep him. Definitely better midfielders out there that will be available, wish him well but not devastated that he has left.

As was said on Facebook earlier by someone else, sparky didnt come second in the player of the year vote for nothing. Guys been class all season

Some players have been quoted saying that Lennon was a major factor in our survival by bringing confidence in the team, whether they had a good relationship or not is a different manager but the quotes seem to paint a positive picture of danny.

It is a wee bit interesting that Dumbarton seem to be trying to build a team around the backbone of our side that just avoided the drop on the last day :P

I hadn't realised Ian Murray was away, BTW; not sure how I missed that. Should be fun to find out what The Rock are cooking...

It is a wee bit interesting that Dumbarton seem to be trying to build a team around the backbone of our side that just avoided the drop on the last day :P

Was thinking this myself....

Dumbarton have signed 2 players from Alloa not exactly the backbone of your side!

So far. And we all know they'd luuuurve Big Ben back, and Liam too.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

So far. And we all know they'd luuuurve Big Ben back, and Liam too.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Yeah, 2 players hardly make the backbone of your squad. Ben is a great player and stands out at this level in my opinion. As for Buchanan, I'm not bothered either way. I think there are much better strikers out there to be completely honest.

Difference is we now have a manager who works in a completely different way. Hence, we are signing players from around ourselves. Ian Murray had the basis of a squad, kept most of the same. Signed one or two and brought in quite a few vital loanees. Different set up for us now under Aitken.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Pleased to see Flannigan signing up, he was excellent towards the end of last season and if he stays injury free he'll be a big player for us. Holmer can be very good on his day but I thought he struggled a bit last season and I wouldn't have been to bothered if he'd gone. Hetherington was one I thought that we might have released, I really didn't see anything too great from him. Having said that he didn't really get a run of games so perhaps there's more to come from him.

Edited by Dink

Hetherington, flanny and Holmes all signed deals today

No offence to them, but meh. I wouldn't have thought there'd be a ton of competition for their signatures.

I'm becoming very apathetic...perhaps I should see the doctor :unsure:

Happy with all three of those signing.

Holmes and Flannigan are both comfortable with the ball at their feet and with Simmons gone, Holmes has experience in 'that role' should Lennon adopt that formation any time. It also means we aren't sacrificing the creative element up top with Flannigan filling the spot Holmes usually operates in.

Hetherington hasn't really had a run in the team, whether due to injuries or simply not having the team shape to accommodate him. The good thing with a new manager coming in is that he has no pre-conceived judgments towards players and wants to see every player play and he's obviously seen something in Hetherington during his short time here. With our two full backs out of the first leg of the playoff final at Forfar, he put Hetherington at left back. From the outside looking in, it appeared to be a gamble and he was untried there before, I think. Himself and Chopra were our two most impressive players that night, quite a feat for Hetherington especially considering it was his first game (start) for a while and the pressure not only of playing out of position, but of the whole importance of the fixture.

Glad to at least have some more players signed up, we'll get a team together yet. ;)

Edited by Sevennil

Saw on the Forfar thread that Omar Kader has signed or signing for us, the guy that homer got Sent off against

Hmm. Don't really remember any of Forfar's team standing out, as opposed to Brechin.

Any chance of us signing some of Dumbarton's players for balance? :P

Hmm. Don't really remember any of Forfar's team standing out, as opposed to Brechin.

Any chance of us signing some of Dumbarton's players for balance? :P

Kader looked decent in both games against Alloa, particularly at Station Park Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Hope Danny Lennon has no wifi access in Tenerife...if he's read some of the stuff online he'll probably start thinking there's no point turning up next season.

Seriously doubt he'd be too surprised. So far all our best players are leaving and I don't think anyone's very excited about the new players so far. Doesn't mean they won't turn out well, of course.

You'd like to think he'd have a bit more faith in what he's doing, considering we're all just outsiders looking in :P