The Alloa Athletic Thread

9 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Chill out guys and wait on the signings we make, still early days.

Gutted a few of the guys are gone obviously, but hes said for weeks hes spoken to targets already.

In goody we trust.

Not going to go all mental a few days into close season, but jury certainly still out on recruitment based on January activity. McKeown a decent defender but stubbornly stuck with him when the entire Alloa support could see Marr was better option. McCluskey again not bad but couldn't force his way into a regular starting slot. I give Mackin a bit of a free pass as a young loan trying to develop. He was reasonable at times but still a way to go before he gets near the level of the likes of Greig Spence. 

At this stage it's more a case of "OK let's see what happens" rather than "In Goody we trust"

Not going to go all mental a few days into close season, but jury certainly still out on recruitment based on January activity. McKeown a decent defender but stubbornly stuck with him when the entire Alloa support could see Marr was better option. McCluskey again not bad but couldn't force his way into a regular starting slot. I give Mackin a bit of a free pass as a young loan trying to develop. He was reasonable at times but still a way to go before he gets near the level of the likes of Greig Spence. 
At this stage it's more a case of "OK let's see what happens" rather than "In Goody we trust"

Yip neither of them any better than what we have but these were january signings, happy with dylan he was young and willing to develop like you rightly say.

I still trust him to get it right.

6 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Yip neither of them any better than what we have but these were january signings, happy with dylan he was young and willing to develop like you rightly say.

I still trust him to get it right.

Agree January window is a different ball game where you patch up as best you can based on what's available on the market. But compare to Jack Ross who did bring in 2 absolute quality signings in Scott Gallacher and Scott McKenna around that same period.

I'm not saying I believe the managers incapable of getting in decent signings. But it's as yet unproven, and when you're shipping out quality players who are very popular with the supporters, then the pressure is increased a notch to deliver.

Agree January window is a different ball game where you patch up as best you can based on what's available on the market. But compare to Jack Ross who did bring in 2 absolute quality signings in Scott Gallacher and Scott McKenna around that same period.
I'm not saying I believe the managers incapable of getting in decent signings. But it's as yet unproven, and when you're shipping out quality players who are very popular with the supporters, then the pressure is increased a notch to deliver.

Up a division & working with more money i would say.

I fully agree with all of what you are saying and everyone else but just trying to give the guy a chance, i'm sure we'll hear some good news in the coming weeks.

Holmer was a terrific player for us. Very consistent ,a great touch and a final ball to go with it. An undoubted alloa great. He was the unsung hero in the fabulous midfield along  with simmy pongo and Cawley . Thanks for the memories fella , one of the alloa players of the decade . 

You can only assume that the boss is inexplicably convinced that we can attract a higher calibre of player in League One. Fair do's if he can pull it off, but he's putting a lot of pressure on himself in his first close season as a manager.

Can't do worse than Danny Lennon, at least.

3 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Looks like you guys might struggle next season Unless Goodwin has a master plan.

A JG master plan would scare me a little given what we have seen from him so far. However, in Jim we hope.

Really sorry to see Holmer move on. I wouldn't have guessed back in his first season that he would outlast all the other recruits of that summer. Excellent midfielder and became a real leader too as time went on. He is more than capable of doing a job in this league next season and will be missed. Like Jason Marr, he is a class act who has earned his place in Alloa history. Good luck, Holmer. 

Didn't work out for Jamie Longworth at Alloa, couldn't get into the team after they started so well and never really looked likely to do so as the season progressed. Unfortunate as he was as impressive against us in the past. Good luck to him and to Scott Hynd and Lewis Wilson. 

7 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Up a division & working with more money i would say.

I fully agree with all of what you are saying and everyone else but just trying to give the guy a chance, i'm sure we'll hear some good news in the coming weeks.

I'll certainly give the guy a chance. But not seen much to reassure me so far, and I think there's more bad news to come potentially.

I'll certainly give the guy a chance. But not seen much to reassure me so far, and I think there's more bad news to come potentially.

Don't tell me Jim is trying to lure big Geoff and Issac back up the road?

Seems like Goodwin is keen to build his own team.

Great if it works out, but you'd think you'd want to keep as much of the team together as possible given the relative success of this season.

Time will obviously tell, however this could turn out to be a good sign for the other teams looking to challenge.

4 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

This is the post that would concern me the most. Over the years the common theme in Brian's post is his admirable staunch defense of the team, players and management and everything Alloa in general,especially when they were being criticized by others, this is the first time i sense a slight negativity towards the manager. Is it down to his decision making regarding Marr and Holmes in particular or do you get a general vibe he may not be a great fit for us and the players are not as onside with him as its made out? Interested to know your thoughts on how you see things panning out Brian.   

I'm still fully behind Goody & confident there is no way this is going in the direction of the Lennon summer. For the news of two greats is going to dent fans confidence but I mean, I predicted it. I'm sure we all did. They just aren't players Goody favoured.

If Leodhas is correct in saying a full squad will be signed up by the end of the week then I'm sure that'll reinstate some confidence in the fans.

So basically 5 players gone -

One who was utterly hopeless - Longworth

Two who never got a game - Hynd and Wilson

And two who were not automatic starters under Goodwin - Marr and Holmes. Now these two were great servants to Alloa but each manager has his own ideas and maybe they didnt fit Goodwin's.

Hardly any cause to panic.

On a general note I never thought back in December we would be anywhere near the playoffs never mind 2nd place. Thank God Goodwin decided to sit down and manage. He's done very well. You can maybe question a couple of decisions to not start certain players but this is his first management job and is still learning.