The Alloa Athletic Thread

He did fine for us last season, couple of ropey games but decent enough mainly making an impact from the bench.
Could see why he was signed, did offer something different. However I think he would have been expected to start more rather than impact sub.
Chances of Waters signing on again are nil. There's something else on the table for him and he will be starting pre season at another club.

No real surprise. Certainly got the talent to go further on the game. Best of luck to him.

11 hours ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Isaac signed for Brechin now

Good for him; hope he does well, although I'd imagine that he'll spend most of the season on the bench. Maybe Dods can get something out of him that we couldn't.

Any news on where Lewis Wilson and Scott Hynd are ending up?

Despite their play-off heroics, Brechin were a mid table League 1 side. They were closer to Stenny in 10th than Alloa in 2nd. You would imagine they would need to make some very strong signings to be able to compete in the Championship. Isaac - that's a shocker. 

McCluskey was a decent enough option from the bench. Got the impression when he set off on a run that he didn't know where he was going to end up, but the opposition didn't either. However, he was probably on a fair wage and I'm not convinced he merits that, particularly when we're almost certainly working with a reduced budget. 

Midfield the priority at the moment I think...a cool head in central midfield who can keep the ball. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

McCluskey was a decent enough option from the bench. Got the impression when he set off on a run that he didn't know where he was going to end up, but the opposition didn't either. However, he was probably on a fair wage and I'm not convinced he merits that, particularly when we're almost certainly working with a reduced budget. 

Midfield the priority at the moment I think...a cool head in central midfield who can keep the ball. 

Thats a good point. We waited around for McCluskey in the window following his departure from Peterhead because he was looking for a full time offer first. Whilst that doesnt really prove anything concrete, it suggests that when he came to us he probably wasnt receiving peanuts on a weekly basis.

I wonder if Jim will be at the PFA exit trials match tomorrow at Broadwood?

Had a look around but can't see any news on who is taking part.

Not sure if there was many big names. Mark Millar, Ex-Queens & Livi, was doing the press stuff for it as a player. Suppose he's the big name.

Squad so far...

GK: Neil Parry, Craig McDowall, Andrew Wilson

DEF: Scott Taggart, Frank McKeown, Andy Graham, Darryl Meggatt, Jim Goodwin, Ryan Hoggan?(not seen or heard anything about him so far assuming hes still around)

MID: Jon Robertson, Steven Hetherington, Alan Cook, Iain Flannigan, Kevin Cawley, Adam Martin, Garry Fleming, Jim Goodwin

ST: Craig Malcolm, Kris Renton, Garry Fleming, Declan McDonald

Going off that squad I'm going to guess we'll need at least one more defender for cover.

Definitely need a centre back. As said above another midfielder to control things would be good as we don't even want to consider Goody as a player with him being manager.

Another striker too would be nice too if we're being greedy. To make the squad numbers last a full season maybe another 3/4 signings are needed.

10 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Chances of Waters signing on again are nil. There's something else on the table for him and he will be starting pre season at another club.

Any idea who that club that might be? There was some very mild speculation that we might have went for him. If he's a left back Smith has said in the Fife Free Press yesterday he's after someone in that position and knows who he wants but it'll take time. No idea if he's meaning Waters or not. 

24 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Any idea who that club that might be? There was some very mild speculation that we might have went for him. If he's a left back Smith has said in the Fife Free Press yesterday he's after someone in that position and knows who he wants but it'll take time. No idea if he's meaning Waters or not. 

From what Ive heard its not Raith Rovers he's at just now.

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Squad so far...

GK: Neil Parry, Craig McDowall, Andrew Wilson

DEF: Scott Taggart, Frank McKeown, Andy Graham, Darryl Meggatt, Jim Goodwin, Ryan Hoggan?(not seen or heard anything about him so far assuming hes still around)

MID: Jon Robertson, Steven Hetherington, Alan Cook, Iain Flannigan, Kevin Cawley, Adam Martin, Garry Fleming, Jim Goodwin

ST: Craig Malcolm, Kris Renton, Garry Fleming, Declan McDonald

Going off that squad I'm going to guess we'll need at least one more defender for cover.

I think we've got a great starting eleven, but are woefully thin on the bench at the moment. Hopefully with a few signings over the next couple of weeks, that will be rectified. 

On 16/06/2017 at 11:23, BigMartyn86 said:

I wonder if Jim will be at the PFA exit trials match tomorrow at Broadwood?

Had a look around but can't see any news on who is taking part.

The team was in at the park so no. Tommy Farries could have been though.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:55, falkirkwasp said:

Must have been the reason meggatt was signed up for left back, centre half more of a priority now then.

I'm sure jim will be attending broadwood tomorrow.

If Hoggan is staying then I'm not convinced that we need another centre half. We all know that Goodwin likes Graham and McKeown as a pair. Meggatt can cover either when required with Hoggan or Hetherington at LB. Hoggan can also cover at CB. He is a highly rated player who has done well when he has played and has caught the attention of bigger clubs. We should give him a chance. And on top of all that, Goodwin himself is capable of being emergency cover at CB. I'd save the budget for other positions rather than getting another centre half.