The Alloa Athletic Thread

Aren't we all Rangers and St Johnstone fans tonight? [emoji14]

I used to not be too bothered when Rangers, RIP, played in Europe. You know, if they won it helped the coefficient and gave the English media something to think about and if they lost it was funny seeing the pain.

Now nothing would be as funny as seeing Pedro's mercenaries papped out early doors by a team from a place about 1% of their fans have heard of.

1 minute ago, printer said:

I used to not be too bothered when Rangers, RIP, played in Europe. You know, if they won it helped the coefficient and gave the English media something to think about and if they lost it was funny seeing the pain.

Now nothing would be as funny as seeing Pedro's mercenaries papped out early doors by a team from a place about 1% of their fans have heard of.

Pretty sure Rangers have enough progres to defy progress.

Seriously though I hope Rangers win and are competitive simply for the fact that Celtic running away with the League is boring and European money will be needed to close the gap. Miss the days of two Scottish Clubs in the group stages.

5 minutes ago, printer said:

a place about 1% of their fans have heard of.

Think you're being overly optimistic there to be honest.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Pretty sure Rangers have enough progres to defy progress.

Seriously though I hope Rangers win and are competitive simply for the fact that Celtic running away with the League is boring and European money will be needed to close the gap. Miss the days of two Scottish Clubs in the group stages.

I would give up Leo mate, you will get nowhere with this lot. 

I have sympathy with the argument that we should wish all the Scottish teams well in Europe and I have no issue with the Wasps fans above who will be shouting for Rangers tonight. However, there are others who might feel uneasy about supporting those who operated a sectarian signing policy for many decades, and whose supporters still sing sectarian songs or songs in support of terrorism. That's without going into the issue of avoiding tax in order to gain an advantage on the field of play. It's perfectly reasonable that some Alloa fans would choose not to align themselves with all of that.

The gaffer seems to have very high hopes for Thomas Grant, a player I felt was probably a squad filler. Will be interesting to see how he gets on and a wee indication if JG has any JR like qualities in terms of getting the best out of players.

The gaffer seems to have very high hopes for Thomas Grant, a player I felt was probably a squad filler. Will be interesting to see how he gets on and a wee indication if JG has any JR like qualities in terms of getting the best out of players.

That's something that stood out for me too. Saying he is the one to fill Kirky's boots. Big boots to fill. The way he was talking he seems like a player who has got something but has just fallen over the past few years. Still time to revitalise his career & push on.

Still looking at 2/3 options, one being permanent, which is good. Still think a defender is needed. Only brought in Meggatt & lost Marr and Waters. Don't think we're done yet in this window!

2 minutes ago, English Wasp said:

Does that mean it will be played on the Wednesday as it seems United's tie is scheduled for the Tuesday at Tannadice?

I think so. It's not finalised or anything but I believe that playing at Dens is the intended option.

15 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

That's something that stood out for me too. Saying he is the one to fill Kirky's boots. Big boots to fill. The way he was talking he seems like a player who has got something but has just fallen over the past few years. Still time to revitalise his career & push on.

Still looking at 2/3 options, one being permanent, which is good. Still think a defender is needed. Only brought in Meggatt & lost Marr and Waters. Don't think we're done yet in this window!

Yes. One more defender is definitely needed. Even if Hoggan plays a full part this year (I hope he will), that's still only 5 defenders, which doesn't leave much cover for injuries. 

As for Grant, it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to his potential so far in his career. Hopefully Goodie will be able to get the best out of him to enable him to really push on this year. If he does, he could be an integral part of the squad. 

28 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

That's something that stood out for me too. Saying he is the one to fill Kirky's boots. Big boots to fill. 

Yep I agree, but worth noting when we signed Kirky he couldnt get a start at all at Dumbarton and was shipped out to a League 2 team on loan. The main reason he was welcomed was because in the past he had played well against Alloa and scored some beauties in the process.

Grant is a different type of player to Jordan (who isn't).
Can't see him getting anything like the same number of goals. However, if he is truly recovered from his illnesses then I think he may well do a job for us. Apparently his deadball delivery is first class.

I enjoyed the interview with Jim G. The only thing that didn't convince me was his argument that Holmer was moved on to freshen the place up.

13 minutes ago, printer said:

I enjoyed the interview with Jim G. The only thing that didn't convince me was his argument that Holmer was moved on to freshen the place up.

I agree that he was unconvincing on that point. As he said himself, it was his call and he takes responsibility for it.