The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, English Wasp said:

Yes. One more defender is definitely needed. Even if Hoggan plays a full part this year (I hope he will), that's still only 5 defenders, which doesn't leave much cover for injuries. 

As for Grant, it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to his potential so far in his career. Hopefully Goodie will be able to get the best out of him to enable him to really push on this year. If he does, he could be an integral part of the squad. 

Been said in the past Stevie Hetherington can cover at full back. I do recall we had him and Robertson playing full back at a closed door game against QotS last season.

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Been said in the past Stevie Hetherington can cover at full back. I do recall we had him and Robertson playing full back at a closed door game against QotS last season.

In that case we're not quite as thin as I thought, but still would be nice to have a dedicated defender on the bench. Did we not win that game against QotS?

5 minutes ago, English Wasp said:

In that case we're not quite as thin as I thought, but still would be nice to have a dedicated defender on the bench. Did we not win that game against QotS?

The only thing I remember about that game was that it was bitterly cold, wasn't an exciting game and we scored one goal. Can't recall if we won it though.

Good luck to Calum. Great move for him getting to premier league & no doubt he'll be capable. Kilmarnock good club too for giving youngsters a chance. Spoke well of his time at Alloa and with his age & ability you can have no complaints. Goodwin bringing in Meggatt was the best & probably only player (I can think of) who could truly fill his position.

After watching that interview it kind of thought what I expected that he does not really rate the development league as he is never there watching the games and fair play for being so honest .I dont think Alloa should play the youths at Dundee as this years Alloa team is really young and I think it would be a cricket score  

Last years development  team beat dundee last year during pre season 3-1  but I think there is only about 4 players still in  that team from last year 

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

I agree that he was unconvincing on that point. As he said himself, it was his call and he takes responsibility for it.

In fairness to him, I don't think he wanted to say anything that could be construed as detrimental towards Holmer. Especially the way in which the question was asked of him. I think he will get pushed on it more next Friday- might be interesting.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Robbo was surprisingly excellent that night. Wasn't much else to thaw us out.

19 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

In fairness to him, I don't think he wanted to say anything that could be construed as detrimental towards Holmer. Especially the way in which the question was asked of him. I think he will get pushed on it more next Friday- might be interesting.

That's a fair point. I had some concerns over the departure of Marr and Holmes and the way the manager spoke in the interview didn't put them to rest. As you say though, he probably can't speak openly in that kind of situation anyway. Some Paxman style questioning from the man behind the camera. 

I see Montrose have announced Sean Dillon and suggested we were in for him. Not too bothered about that, must be on a good wage and I don't think spending a lot on another centre half is the best use of our budget. Unless it's Ben Gordon. 

I see Montrose have announced Sean Dillon and suggested we were in for him. Not too bothered about that, must be on a good wage and I don't think spending a lot on another centre half is the best use of our budget. Unless it's Ben Gordon. 

I had no idea we were in for him. Dodged bullet if we were. Like you said would have been a big wage & he's definitely not better than Taggs at RB or any of the CBs with his wage. Ben Gordon does make exceptions though!

Jim put him on the bench at least a couple of times ................

Goodwin after he was recalled just before the Livi game - Jim's second game. Spent one game under Goodwin and was on the bench, yep.

"Ben Gordon going back to St. Mirren was a mutual kind of agreement, I felt that Jason & Andy were pivotal to us going on the good run at the start of the season and my first decision at Brechin last week was to bring Jason back into the side because I felt I owed him that loyalty for the good work he has done up till now. Ben is a fantastic lad, a great player and he took it really well but at the same time, Jack could do with him back at St. Mirren, there was no issues but Ben wasn’t going to be happy sitting on the bench, he came here to play games and I couldn’t guarantee him games"

13 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Jim put him on the bench at least a couple of times ................

Only once, vs Brechin at Glebe Park in Goodwins first game as manager then returned to St Mirren. He played in Jack Rosses last game down at Bala.

22 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

I Think you are right , Going to get roasted here but i thought he was a tad slow when i last saw him play...:shutup

Ben was and has never been quick. It was never his strength but he had so many others.