The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

are you sure about that ?

Yes. This is correct. See http://alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=1&ItemID=1541&mid=1 which Kieren quoted above. Although Goodwin seems to be slightly confused as Marr had in fact played Jack Ross's last two games as cover for the injured(?) Andy Graham, and Gordon was dropped to allow Graham to return. 

Opinions can of course change. It seems Goodwin thought far more highly of Marr at this stage than he did by the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

are you sure about that ?

Ok so I remember this. Ben joined us and two days later St Mirren sacked Alex Rae and they immediately wanted him back before Jack's appointment.  The only reason he was there for a month was that minimum loan length has to be a month under SPFL rules.

13 minutes ago, English Wasp said:

Yes. This is correct. See http://alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=1&ItemID=1541&mid=1 which Kieren quoted above. Although Goodwin seems to be slightly confused as Marr had in fact played Jack Ross's last two games as cover for the injured(?) Andy Graham, and Gordon was dropped to allow Graham to return. 

Opinions can of course change. It seems Goodwin thought far more highly of Marr at this stage than he did by the end of the season. 

Marr scored at Brechin, and it was one of our best defensive performances of the season. So it was unlikely Ben would have come back in anyway for the following match at Livi, and that's not even taking into account the managers quote.

Ben was excellent in his short return spell, particularly at Parkhead in the League Cup. But with Marr and Graham also at the club his departure wasn't too noticeable when he returned to St Mirren .

I thought JG's decision on Ben at the time was reasonable and didn't necessarily mean he doesn't rate Ben. To be honest I wouldn't bring back Ben now anyway for the same reason I wouldn't want Dillon. If we only have enough cash for one more signing then it shouldn't go on a centre back (or cover RB). Even the magnificent Ben Gordon :wub:.

Hard to believe we'll be starting again in a fortnight. Really excited to see how the team lines up and what kind of style we play. 

34 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I thought JG's decision on Ben at the time was reasonable and didn't necessarily mean he doesn't rate Ben. 

Absolutely. The manager wanted to go with the central defensive unit which (at the time) he would be using for the rest of the season.

Ben was signed as cover, and as good as he was, the 2 players signed were of a similar standard and the manager wanted them to build a strong understanding. It was a simple, sensible decision made and not a slight on Ben at all. 

Said it before i'll say it again, i would take dean brett.

Think we had offered him a chance to do pre season with us but he had already agreed to sign for Montrose.

Would've been a good signing at this level.

43 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Think we had offered him a chance to do pre season with us but he had already agreed to sign for Montrose.

If Montrose was too far too travel you would think he wouldn't fancy Ayr either. I'd have Tags ahead of Brett at RB but as an option for RB and midfield he would actually be a decent enough addition. 

Yeah i think he would, plenty of championship experience,hes left montrose now because of the traveling.

Yeah i think he would, plenty of championship experience,hes left montrose now because of the traveling.

Didn't know he'd left Montrose so soon, where does he stay out of interest ?

17 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Intresting to see who the 2 trialists that were playing today...http://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=2&ItemID=1652&mid=2

Well, interesting to know who the other one was, at least.

In other news, without knowing what the full price was, I had a sudden moment of panic this evening when I realised that I'd forgotten to renew my season ticket before the Early Bird deadline expired. That's a tenner that I'll never see again  :angry: