The Alloa Athletic Thread

First time I've seen Alloa this season and quite impressed, albeit Elgin were shite. Hastie was terrific. Pacy, tricky, powerful and direct. As others have mentioned, Spence and Trouten look to have a good understanding already. Elgin didn't offer much but Peggie was promising at LB. Others like Cawley, Andy, Taggs etc as good as ever.

Clearly still very short on numbers. I see Jim says he wants 2 or 3 more. Another CB and CM crucial I think and hopefully soon with so many games putting pressure on a tight squad. Certainly reasons to be hopeful though. 

New top looks decent too. A bit of gold around the shoulders and it would be bang on, but our best away shirt for a while. 

Edited by Waspie

Looking at the tables just now for the betfred cup. Likely that 8 points won't get us through.

Group E already has a 9 point minimum second place.

Group C - You'd imagine Hearts would beat Inverness to give them 9. Going to rate that 50/50

Group D - Dundee you'd imagine will beat Brechin (who got thumped 7-1 by Dumfermline) to get 9

Group F  - unlikely but Airdrieonians would need to beat Hamilton to get 9. They might be aided that Hamilton are already out.

Group G  - Motherwell are likely to beat to Clyde to get 10 leaving QotS with 9 in second

Group H  - St Mirren could beat Dumbarton to leave them on 9 pts although  Killie could finish second with a QP win -  7 points or 8 points with a penalty defeat. Although they would then have a superior goal difference to us if we get beat by Ross County.

At least 3 of those 6 are likely going to happen.

There's also the fact that if we lose 3-0 then Arbroath would leapfrog us on goal difference. Very little margin for error and it could cost us £14,000 going by last years figures where we finish the group.

Decent effort overall. The squad looked so light going into the League Cup, and still does really, that I thought we were treating it more as pre-season. And yet, we were in contention to win the group until the closing seconds of the last game, and had Spencie's overhead kick just before been a few inches the other way then we probably would have. A good effort.

That said, County were the better side and deserved to win, albeit they didn't create that many real chances. Physically stronger than us and maybe a bit cuter in winning free kicks, I think that led to some frustration from our fans about the ref when he really didn't get much wrong. 

Been saying this for weeks but we are still short of players. We need at least 2 or 3 players who can come in and improve the starting 11. Looking at the bench as we flagged today and there was no attacking option at all. Defence is also very light. On a more positive note Zak looks like he can do a job, Hastie worked hard against a tough opponent and Spence and Trouten had their moments. 

Have to say I remain unconvinced about the pitch. Makes it awkward for opponents but limits Alloa too. When we did it last time our team was shite and it made sense. This time we have lots of creative players who looked to be constrained by it today. I suppose our players will get used to it while opponents won't, but seems like a questionable tactic. 

Still, overall that was a good League Cup campaign with plenty of promising signs. Few more promising signings and we can be hopeful of holding our own in the months ahead.

Edited by Waspie

Today was a proper taste of how difficult it will be being the only part time team in the league. County were really sharp and pressed us all day and were well worth their win.That said we were still in the game until late on as the lads battled manfully.For me the biggest problem was the ridiculous decision to alter the pitch size.It didn,t stop County getting behind us and helped them shut us down even quicker.We are pretty good in the wide areas with Kev,Flanny,Jake and i believe Adam all good there.Add Taggs as an overlapping full back and we are well served but the pitch gives them no room to work.We never took the ball off the goalkeeper to start attacks as County never gave us the room to feel confident doing it.Going long just meant the ball coming straight back at us.This season is a free hit for us and we will win games when we play well so get one of the best playing surfaces in the country back to its proper size and give the lads their best chance of playing as they can.

Really difficult shift for the team yesterday. Ross Co were excellent from the start and never let up; clearly they had had a rocket up their arses after the defeat at Arbroath.

I thought Robbo and wee Kev were the two outfield players who matched up best against the level County were at. Jake Hastie's pace and power will cause team's problems if we can get more of the ball to him.

Defence did OK on a tough afternoon.

As Waspie says, we are obviously at least 3 players short and 3 better quality than we have currently. For me at least two if those need to be strikers to give us a realistic shot at staying up.

4 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

''Group D - Dundee you'd imagine will beat Brechin (who got thumped 7-1 by Dumfermline) to get 9''

DuNfermline mate. 

It's almost like the m key is next to the n key. Or maybe it was some parapraxis. We'll never know.

15 hours ago, Sheepy said:

Think we done okay today, the way ross county were set up didn’t let us get the ball down and pass it like we usually do, but those officials were scandalous emoji23.png

I don't know about that. I mean watch Spence manhandle this Ross County defender. Referee every right to protect him by giving a foul and a free kick for County /s

I'm 25 minutes in and there's already 3 decisions that are real headscratchers. I didn't notice it this bad during the game.

New home strip is cracking [emoji41] nicer than the away one i think

Played ok yesterday, as others have said possibly a game too much yesterday.

If they are favourites for the league i think we will do better than brechin done, staying up will be extremely tough.

37 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

The supporters team have been drawn away to West Ham in the first round of the IFA British Cup.

Faaackin' 'av it!

Wonder if this well tasty geezer will make an appearance...

1f96c40860e4f2738dd2c371443c65f5.jpg

1 hour ago, BigMartyn86 said:

The supporters team have been drawn away to West Ham in the first round of the IFA British Cup.

This could be a chance to celebrate the links between Alloa and Millwall in the early 20th century.

1 hour ago, BigMartyn86 said:
1 hour ago, Waspie said:
This could be a chance to celebrate the links between Alloa and Millwall in the early 20th century.

I'm intrigued

A number of boys from Clackmannanshire went down to play for them in that era. I think it was 7 I reached and it's quite likely there were more. Millwall had strong Scottish connections in the early days. At that particular time there was an official from Fife who it seems came home in the summer and signed up local players for Millwall. Bogie Broon who I spent last season droaning on about was there and won favour with the Millwall fans by crunching West Ham players in derby games. 

In reality it might not be the best idea to bring all this up when you're down in London ;)

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I don't know about that. I mean watch Spence manhandle this Ross County defender. Referee every right to protect him by giving a foul and a free kick for County /s

I'm 25 minutes in and there's already 3 decisions that are real headscratchers. I didn't notice it this bad during the game.

Thats a foul by Spence for me.