The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Can we replace one with another if a current loanee went back?

Yeah but I doubt it's happening now. The only one that would've made sense was Devine but he's nearer fitness every week. I'm still unconvinced there'll be any kids getting loaned out now who can come in and add something to the team. 

Well that is depressing, the idea of having to watch Sammon and MacIver up front doesn't fill me full of hope, both were really poor yesterday. Not convinced Rodden coming back from injury will make any difference either. As well as playing players out of position, he hasn't strengthened the right areas of the team either.

If it is true that Howie is off (most likely) , time to take a punt on a lower league striker to take the wage

Sign someone ! instead of a loan , difficult i know , but rice took a punt on Rodden from non league

surely someone else out there .

52 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah but I doubt it's happening now. The only one that would've made sense was Devine but he's nearer fitness every week. I'm still unconvinced there'll be any kids getting loaned out now who can come in and add something to the team. 

Yeah that’s kind of where I was heading with that but agree that it would be surprising to see that happening at this stage. 

40 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

he hasn't strengthened the right areas of the team either.

Up top is the only area where I can really fault him, in this window we have weakened in attack with combination of Offord leaving and Rodden getting injured with no one coming in. 

Of the others that came in I think Coulson was perhaps the ‘least’ needed in terms of position with a number other options, although with the injuries we’ve had he’s definitely played a role since he arrived. 

Full backs on both sides were definitely needed, for cover if nothing else, as we were very light in numbers there, so glad that he went and got Strachan and Doyle. 

Although not a winter signing, Devine is the one that stands out as having not worked out. The guy has obviously been very unfortunate with injuries both with us and previously, but I can’t say I was hugely impressed with him when he has played. Was surprised he didn’t go back in the window with Durnan coming back in and then Doyle arriving who could cover CB, but I guess the Howie situation balances it a little. 

2 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Well that is depressing, the idea of having to watch Sammon and MacIver up front doesn't fill me full of hope, both were really poor yesterday. Not convinced Rodden coming back from injury will make any difference either. As well as playing players out of position, he hasn't strengthened the right areas of the team either.

I actually thought McIver played well yesterday, but accept he wasn't much of a goal threat. Agree that he and Sammon together aren't a great combination.

As I've posted before I think we should be giving wee Kev a shot up front. Been a while since he was used there, but think he would complement McIver.

It was definitely up front I was thinking of during the January window. We could also have done with a ball winning midfielder but it is the lack of a goal threat which is what Rice should have been addressing.

It also took him the best part of a year (realise it would have had to be a loan in his first season) to bring in another left back to give the team balance with the best right back in the league on the other side, not that he hardly ever plays him there. Also Church has definitely improved this season and would have been decent cover.

I like Mike Doyle and have been quite impressed with Coulson but don't think that was what we needed.

1 minute ago, Magic Hat said:

It was definitely up front I was thinking of during the January window. We could also have done with a ball winning midfielder but it is the lack of a goal threat which is what Rice should have been addressing.

It also took him the best part of a year (realise it would have had to be a loan in his first season) to bring in another left back to give the team balance with the best right back in the league on the other side, not that he hardly ever plays him there. Also Church has definitely improved this season and would have been decent cover.

I like Mike Doyle and have been quite impressed with Coulson but don't think that was what we needed.

I agree with your first and last paragraphs.

Re another left back I give Rice the benefit of the doubt and can see why he started the season with Church as first choice left back. I actually think Church might get a full-time move based on his performances this season. 

Think we established a good while ago that Sammon and MacIver are both good players but really aren't too effective together. The manager will know that. Said it before but ideally I'd love to see this team go 4-2-3-1 which I think would suit our CBs and allow us to play Taggs RB and Church LB (or Doyle and Strachan if required) and give us a solid midfield base with the two. We have potentially a brilliant three behind the striker between Scougall (who could also go into the deeper like Flanny did), Donnelly, Cawley and now Coulson (MacIver could go in there too).  Three of those up in support of Sammon or MacIver could be great. I know the manager has the mantra about playing two up but I don't accept that automatically means we are more attacking. The Ross and Goodwin teams were more attacking with 4-2-3-1 than Rice's team with two up, and they had a better midfield base too. They had better players as well, but there is still plenty of talent in this current crop. 

All that said, I am happy that the manager has in the main stuck with the same shape for a few weeks now and I think we are the better for it, albeit we could be better still. If sticking with two up I'd agree with printer that Cawley with one of Sammon and MacIver would be worth a shot rather than those two as a pair. I wonder would Coulson do a turn there also, he is quick and direct and could perhaps be worth a try. 

Was disappointing to see the manager so visibly upset by the abuse he suffered at Falkirk. Hopefully it hasn't ruined his weekend and that there are good days to come to give him a lift. 

Edited by Waspie

7 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

If it is true that Howie is off (most likely) , time to take a punt on a lower league striker to take the wage

Sign someone ! instead of a loan , difficult i know , but rice took a punt on Rodden from non league

We can only sign someone who is a free agent is my understanding. There may well be such options out there, but I expect their wages would be outwith our budget.

I would certainly rather we punted Devine and brought in an attacker.

7 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

What about given Rankin a chance

20 hours ago, printer said:

I actually think Church might get a full-time move based on his performances this season. 

I agree with this, think Stanger could be the same. I'd like them both to stay at Alloa but no complaints if they leave for full time football. Stanger also has the prospect of international football for New Zealand if he pushes on.

I like Rodden's work ethic, speed and engine. He gives us a good counter attack option. Not sure how quick Rankin is but would like to see him have a go at it. A lot of goals Henderson scored for us last year were on the counter attack, the two against Queens Park at Firhill and one away to Falkirk come to mind.

I wouldn't grudge Rankin getting a start on Saturday with MacIver or Sammon up with him. If it's not successful he can always get subbed off. 

Whilst I think Church has improved a lot from last season, still don't think he is good enough to be our first choice left back never mind get a full time deal, but stranger things have happened in football. 

Stanger on the other hand, despite the odd error has all the attributes to go full time and would benefit from the extra training and potentially playing alongside an experienced defender.

As for our young striking options of Rankin, Buchanan and Mohammed, not seen enough from any of them to suggest they will consistently score goals, that said might be worth trying something different to the Sammon and MacIver frontline.

5 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Whilst I think Church has improved a lot from last season, still don't think he is good enough to be our first choice left back never mind get a full time deal, but stranger things have happened in football. 

Stanger on the other hand, despite the odd error has all the attributes to go full time and would benefit from the extra training and potentially playing alongside an experienced defender.

As for our young striking options of Rankin, Buchanan and Mohammed, not seen enough from any of them to suggest they will consistently score goals, that said might be worth trying something different to the Sammon and MacIver frontline.

I should clarify. I'm not saying I personally think Church is definitely full-time quality, I thinks there are still question marks over his defending. I do think, however, that his performances going forward, contributing numerous dangerous crosses and several assists will have been noticed and I think there is a good chance a full-time club will take a chance on him for next season.

Stanger for me has been more inconsistent. Of course part of the reason for that could be the lack of consistency in our defensive formation and personnel. I think he's got a lot to learn, but he has had several good games and his physical attributes including his speed are major pluses. I think he'll get a full-time chance too, but personally I don't think he's quite ready yet.

On 19/02/2023 at 21:43, printer said:

We can only sign someone who is a free agent is my understanding. There may well be such options out there, but I expect their wages would be outwith our budget.

I would certainly rather we punted Devine and brought in an attacker.

It would need to be someone who has been a free agent since 31 January. Can't become a free agent now and then sign. Doubt there's many players who have been unemployed for near enough a month already who are going to improve a League 1 side.

Devine can't play for Motherwell if he goes back so it's hard to see what benefit there would be in him (and them) agreeing to that. He doesn't seem to have played for Motherwell earlier in the season so he could go back out on loan to someone else I suppose but it would need organised pretty quickly, otherwise he may as well stay where he is.