The Alloa Athletic Thread

Disappointed to see a lot of the young ones leave especially paul mclaren thought he was good in his only game vs airdrie 

Devenay being let go wasn't the greatest idea in my opinion never really got to play under andy due to the injury at motherwell and we can't really judge anyone based on their time under rice this season, dave mckay being a prime example

we need a left back signed and there's not many in scotland willing to relocate so just have to see what the gaffer brings in

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

There are a few there I wouldn't have given new contracts to Donnelly, O'Donnell and Devine especially.

Don't care if Coulson or Phil leave to be honest, neither would be a particularly big loss.

Realise this will be unpopular there are a couple of players who Rice gave two year contracts to Neil and Hetherington, I wouldn't have bothered if they had stayed or gone  either.

That said I will get behind who ever is in the team next season and hopefully they can turn in performances to change my mind like Connor and Kurtis ❤️.

As for the players freed can't really complain. Sad to see John Robertson go a really good and steady player for us over the years.

Quinn would be a massive miss if he goes one of the more creative players we need youth in the team and quinn brings that 

2 minutes ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

Quinn would be a massive miss if he goes one of the more creative players we need youth in the team and quinn brings that 

I agree, players like Coulson who have the skill to get past their man are hard to find these days and although I’d acknowledge there is room to improve I think it would be great to have him on board again next season. I’m also pleased Devine is kept on as if fit he has a lot to offer. Luke is a funny one, he is such a talented footballer but is hardly ever fully fit however I’d say a fit Luke is a great addition to the squad too.
Andy has a great nucleus to work with already and it will be interesting to see who he can bring in to enhance what we have as he has inherited the players at his disposal up until now.
Hopefully exciting times ahead,

In Andy we trust ! 

Left back and a front-line are the signings we must make this summer. Without Deveney we have no recognised left side full back. Sammon really the only front line player, unless Coulson signs. Loan-market will be massive again for us, last year will be so difficult to replicate but the market will be so beneficial for a possible title charge but definitely play-offs as we look strong enough but other teams will recruit and can see Queens and Cove improving. 

If you look at Coulson's stats last season two assists and two goals in 32 games is a really poor return for a player so far up the pitch. Buchanan who had considerably less game time managed four assists and three goals.

He looks quite an exciting player on the ball but end product is poor. If we keep him fair enough but he will need to improve and if Andy brings in good quality loans would imagine his game time will be limited.

There is no doubt that Luke Donnelly is or has been a good player but due to his lack of game time last season and fitness levels I wouldn't have given him another year.

Devine is also a half decent player but part of a defence that conceded far too many goals. His fitness is a worry as well.

I hope we bring in a couple more defenders. Obviously we need a left back but the central defence pairings were poor and inconsistent last season yet we have signed up Neil, Devine and Mackay.

9 hours ago, LoganAAFC said:

Left back and a front-line are the signings we must make this summer. Without Deveney we have no recognised left side full back. Sammon really the only front line player, unless Coulson signs. Loan-market will be massive again for us, last year will be so difficult to replicate but the market will be so beneficial for a possible title charge but definitely play-offs as we look strong enough but other teams will recruit and can see Queens and Cove improving. 

Well they couldn't get much worse. 😉🙂

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

There is no doubt that Luke Donnelly is or has been a good player but due to his lack of game time last season and fitness levels I wouldn't have given him another year.

Devine is also a half decent player but part of a defence that conceded far too many goals. His fitness is a worry as well.

I hope we bring in a couple more defenders. Obviously we need a left back but the central defence pairings were poor and inconsistent last season yet we have signed up Neil, Devine and Mackay.

Agree with all of this. Was a bit surprised Donnelly got another year- injuries meant he never really got going at all last season. Hes very good on his day but as folk have said, still hard to tell whether he slots into Andy Grahams team effectively. I thought the manager might have used that budget elsewhere, but Donnelly definitely an asset if he can get back to his best.

Defence is a key point- we did concede too many last season. If you have ambitions to win League One a solid defensive unit is half the battle. All three of our centre halfs had good moments and bad moments. Id argue Mackay actually has the highest stock in this precise moment and for me was really coming onto a game in the closing stages of last season. Id be expecting Neill to burst a gut and make amends for the Hamilton play-off game. But overall I expected the manager to retain 2/3 at most- Id still like to see a fresh option in there to try and stabilise that defence a bit.

11 hours ago, LoganAAFC said:

... but other teams will recruit and can see Queens and Cove improving. 

^^^ Thing is, could we really get any worse? ... oh shit, I'm tempting fate there ... 😐

8 minutes ago, Rory said:

Advertiser says Parry is on a player/coach contract so at least is Super Phil leaves we'll have a decent back up.

Yeah was saying that he would be in a similar role as Andy and only go in net due to injuries or suspensions. But yeah defo, but if Phil left would reckon Andy may sign another keeper to take No.2

3 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

If you look at Coulson's stats last season two assists and two goals in 32 games is a really poor return for a player so far up the pitch. Buchanan who had considerably less game time managed four assists and three goals.

He looks quite an exciting player on the ball but end product is poor. If we keep him fair enough but he will need to improve and if Andy brings in good quality loans would imagine his game time will be limited.

Agree that Quinn needs to improve his end product and decision making (wherever he ends up). At times frustrating to watch him do great work and get into dangerous areas then not take advantage of it. But the talent is there and hopefully if he stays he can really kick on. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ Thing is, could we really get any worse? ... oh shit, I'm tempting fate there ... 😐

Things can ALWAYS get worse, m8. 😒

57 minutes ago, printer said:

Things can ALWAYS get worse, m8. 😒

It's fine, we're very familiar with the concept ...

15 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Stats Mean nothing in a situation like Quinn he offered a lot more than what the stats said

6 hours ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

Stats Mean nothing in a situation like Quinn he offered a lot more than what the stats said

It's all about opinions and 100% you are entitled to yours. There have been worse players at Alloa than Quinn but far better ones as well. If he stays then fair enough but as I said not bothered if he does. As for stats whilst not always telling everything, in football they are usually fairly accurate to a players performance.

I assume that we will be getting new strips next season as we have had the current ones for a couple of years now? No doubt it will be Pendle again. It would be nice if we could mix it up a bit and go with a different supplier. You see clubs our size having kits made by a lot better suppliers than Pendle. Think I even read that Stranraer are having kits made by Mizuno next season. 

On the player contracts front I was surprised by both Cammy and LD getting contracts. There is rumours of us running with a smaller squad next year but we have injury prone players in the squad like LD, Hetherington and Scougall. Who most people would be expecting to be starting most weeks. Add in the ages of Cawley and Sammon who will more than likely be squad players with little starts then I think we still need to get some players in if we want to compete at the top end of the league again. 

All the best to Robbo who has been great for us over the years, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up with the contingent of ex Alloa players at Stenny.