The Alloa Athletic Thread

23 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Think Dow will just be a fre weeks, probably been our best player in pre-season,

Don't really know much about Coulson but willing to give him a chance,

quinn left alloa for a full time move and has progressed no further than where he was

I thought we were quite poor in the second half yesterday after playing well in the first half. We missed having Miko or Stevie in beside Roberts yesterday as well as I thought they found it too easy at times against us. Also, Donnelly should have been hooked just after half time as he looked dead on his feet in the second half. I was impressed with PJ, Rankin and Roberts. Also young Nevans and Sammon impressed when they came off the bench. It was nice to see Andy making subs before the 80 minute mark as well. 

Oh well, onwards to the serious stuff next week against Queens in the league. 

17 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

I thought we were quite poor in the second half yesterday after playing well in the first half. We missed having Miko or Stevie in beside Roberts yesterday as well as I thought they found it too easy at times against us. Also, Donnelly should have been hooked just after half time as he looked dead on his feet in the second half. I was impressed with PJ, Rankin and Roberts. Also young Nevans and Sammon impressed when they came off the bench. It was nice to see Andy making subs before the 80 minute mark as well. 

Oh well, onwards to the serious stuff next week against Queens in the league. 

I read every week from all directions ( especially England ) berating the Quality of the game in Scotland. Until clubs like yours ( as you quote and there are many more on P&B ) discredit an historic trophy, maybe they’re correct ? What a fuckin cheek you have.

13 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I read every week from all directions ( especially England ) berating the Quality of the game in Scotland. Until clubs like yours ( as you quote and there are many more on P&B ) discredit an historic trophy, maybe they’re correct ? What a fuckin cheek you have.

That’s an interesting number of thoughts you have. Are part time Alloa ever going to win the league cup? Therefore how serious will it be in our priorities before a season starts? Will our chairman have sat down with the manager and said take this seriously and progress at all costs? I highly doubt it. Try and give a good account of ourselves, which we did in the wins against Brechin and St Johnstone but we are now out after drawing against East Fife and losing yesterday in Greenock. Yesterday won’t define our season as it’s not what we are aiming for. 

The main priority for Alloa and pretty much every other team is their respective league campaigns.

Yeah, not particularly great yesterday with Hetherington and Scougs both missing. Young Mullen looks a tidy player, but a big step up for him.

Thought Kev (especially when involved more centrally) and Rankin were best for us. PJ, Taggs, Waters and Roberts OK as well. LD and Buchanan had frustrating days. The positive re the former was getting a full ninety minutes on the pitch, he certainly needed it.

Both centre backs tried their best and did plenty good work, but both still look liable to make a mistake. I really want them to have good seasons.

League next week and I think we all know the areas in which the squad needs improving.

Edited by printer

30 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Why are you constantly outraged at everything. The League Cup is now essentially a preseason tournament for part time League 1 and 2 sides. You'll rarely get out the groups and if you do there's virtually no hope of going beyond the next round. Every part time side will budget for a group stage exit, which means it's bottom of the pile in terms of importance to these clubs. 

Interesting points above. I thought the first half was the poorer of the two. Morton were really up for it and played well. We didn’t help ourselves though. 

When Andy changed the shape and brought Nevan and Sammon on that’s when the momentum shifted slightly. We were getting a lot of joy down the left side and Sammon was causing chaos in the box, as well as helping link up with Rankin. 

Hetherington is the heartbeat of that team and we sorely missed him. To have him and Miko out, like you say, is a pretty big blow. Good to see Mullen get the nod but it is such a hard position for a youngster to take charge against a FT team. 

I only managed up for the Morton game, so unfortunately, missed the positive results. Yesterday felt like potentially a game too much in the scheme of things. Missed the first game week so played four in a row and having the FT teams as the final two was always going to be tough. 

8 points is pretty good going though and a drastic improvement on last year, that’s all we can ask. No shame in losing out by a point to a Premiership side. Of course we were never going to win the cup but would’ve been nice to have held on as the prize pot for knock-out could be looking at an extra six-figures for the club.

Anyway, plenty positives going into the league.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Why are you constantly outraged at everything. The League Cup is now essentially a preseason tournament for part time League 1 and 2 sides. You'll rarely get out the groups and if you do there's virtually no hope of going beyond the next round. Every part time side will budget for a group stage exit, which means it's bottom of the pile in terms of importance to these clubs. 

Constantly outraged at everything? Have you got the correct person ? You must feel the same when you play your first Scottish cup tie each year in that case ! Yep enter nothing if progression is in doubt. 

24 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Constantly outraged at everything? Have you got the correct person ? You must feel the same when you play your first Scottish cup tie each year in that case ! Yep enter nothing if progression is in doubt. 

We normally progress in our first game in the completion, unlike some

Agree with the points above that it was a pretty positive League Cup overall. Disappointing in a way to miss out on progression, some more cash and potentially a big tie after the great result against St Johnstone, but the squad gave their all. 

From what I saw over the four games we have the basis of a good side and everyone knows what they're doing and are pulling together, as we'd expect based on everything Andy has done since taking over. Even during our best performance against St Johnstone though, we were clearly still a wee bit short in terms of attacking threat in particular and overall depth. Take out a couple of absolutely key men like Stevie and Scougall, as we saw yesterday, and it all drops off a fair bit. That's no reflection on the boys that came in. Indeed, the performances from younger players has been really encouraging and you'd hope there is more progression to come there. 

We clearly need two or three more decent additions in forward areas over the next few weeks and that's what will shape our season. Need to tighten up a bit too, but suspect that part will involve working with what we have rather than new signings. And having a solid LB is one area where we're already clearly stronger. Plenty of reasons to be positive about the season ahead. 

Edited by Waspie

6 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Its not the club but the fans you are talking about , stand corrected and do yourself a favour and p=ss off back the the QOTS thread where you normally spout your sh*ite

15 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Its not the club but the fans you are talking about , stand corrected and do yourself a favour and p=ss off back the the QOTS thread where you normally spout your sh*ite

I responded to a post VEGETABLE MAN !

I wonder where Andy will be looking to strengthen with loans. Probably most in need of attacking midfielders/wingers.

Doubt we'll get as lucky as last year and get the likes of Wales, Steven, Sutherland all at once. 

Hopefully clubs seeing how they improved at Alloa will lead to us getting more of top young prospects from the premier league clubs

6 hours ago, Rory said:

I wonder where Andy will be looking to strengthen with loans. Probably most in need of attacking midfielders/wingers.

Doubt we'll get as lucky as last year and get the likes of Wales, Steven, Sutherland all at once. 

Hopefully clubs seeing how they improved at Alloa will lead to us getting more of top young prospects from the premier league clubs

think someone at Attacking Mid would be ideal as scougall and LD are prone to an injury another Centre-Back wouldn't hurt either if Devine is out for a long time but for a league 1 side its a strong team just needing more depth in 1 or 2 positions

6 hours ago, printer said:

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2024/07/31/patrick-lawlor/

Sad news of the death of Pat Lawlor. To be honest I was surprised to learn of this as I genuinely believed he was indestructible.

He was good friends with my Dad through their involvement with Alloa AFC and was a real character who loved the club.

RIP Pat.

Just added:

A funeral mass for Pat will take place at St. Mungo’s Roman Catholic Church, Alloa on Tuesday 6th August 2024 at 10am. Thereafter to Sunnyside Cemetery to which all family and friends are respectfully invited.

1 hour ago, liammcintosh01 said:

@LeodhasXD will there be any Wasp TV live streams this season? Just wondering as I "work outside the UK & Ireland" a fair amount 🫣

Scottish FA Article 23 – Transmission of Matches/UEFA Article 48 – Blocked Hours Protection

The Scottish FA’s application for transmission free periods (“blocked hours”) for the football season 2024/25 pursuant to Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes has been confirmed by UEFA. The Scottish FA’s ‘blocked hours’ provision, under UEFA Article 28, covers Saturdays between 2.45pm and 5.15pm from 3 August 2024 to 10 May 2025 inclusively. The following Saturday’s are exceptions, and therefore not covered by the ‘blocked hours’ provision:

Saturday 17 August 2024 - Stenny Home

Saturday 7 September 2024 - Challenge Cup 

Saturday 12 October 2024 - Challenge Cup 

Saturday 16 November 2024 - Inverness Away - if they've ran out of money by then I'll probably offer to stream to give them some extra revenue.

Saturday 28 December 2024 - Stenny Home

Saturday 4 January 2025 - Arbroath Away

Saturday 22 March 2025 - Inverness Away - ditto

In effect, the protection prohibits the transmission of matches within Scotland during the period of ‘blocked hours’.

At this stage, UEFA have not confirmed the dates for which ‘blocked hours’ protection pursuant to UEFA Article 48, the English FA have been granted. We will provide confirmation of these dates as soon as we are in receipt of them.

Of course for all of you that every weekend are in Spain it'll be on Wasp TV as normal https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/product/wasp-tv-on-the-road/

Edited by LeodhasXD

More appropriate here - is the pitch at Indodrill due to be re-layed? I've been to 4 games over the last few years and can't say I've noticed any issues with it but I did today, I have to say. Thankfully we never got beat so I'm not looking for an excuse but I know they have a shelf life and was just wondering if it was coming to the end of its life? 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

More appropriate here - is the pitch at Indodrill due to be re-layed? I've been to 4 games over the last few years and can't say I've noticed any issues with it but I did today, I have to say. Thankfully we never got beat so I'm not looking for an excuse but I know they have a shelf life and was just wondering if it was coming to the end of its life? 

What issues exactly  ?