Bloody Edinburgh trams

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger almost got knocked down at the very spot by a 36 bus when cycling on the wrong side of the road.

I think you'll find the 36 bus nearly got knocked down by Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-40105253

24 year old dies after bike wheel gets stuck in tram tracks on Princes Street.

Can't find the exact thread, maybe a cycling one, but I recall people on here talking about the dangers of this happening.

Mrs Brilliant witnessed this incident and is quite upset. She'll not be letting me play on bikes now.
Sad thing to happen and unfathomably unlucky.

Should start a book. Now, will it be a local auld dear, a drunk, or a tourist?I'll go for an auld dear on a Saturday afternoon. 
Have we had our first team fatality yet, as in hit by a tram?

Has anyone been killed by a tram yet?

As in by the tram, rather than the tracks.

Mrs Brilliant witnessed this incident and is quite upset. She'll not be letting me play on bikes now.
Sad thing to happen and unfathomably unlucky.

I've read a few reports of cyclist being injured by the tram tracks. More than unlucky. I'd say something will probably have to be done about it before long. Wait for another fatality or act now?

If I was an avid Reporter I would be investigating further and firing FOI requests to the company that runs the trams and/or City of Edinburgh Council to find out how many claims they have had since the tram tracks were installed. I would also have a 'have you been affected?' advert in the paper looking for other people who have crashed because of the tram tracks.

Sadly, I'm not a Reporter, avid or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I've read a few reports of cyclist being injured by the tram tracks. More than unlucky. I'd say something will probably have to be done about it before long. Wait for another fatality or act now?

If I was an avid Reporter I would be investigating further and firing FOI requests to the company that runs the trams and/or City of Edinburgh Council to find out how many claims they have had since the tram tracks were installed. I would also have a 'have you been affected?' advert in the paper looking for other people who have crashed because of the tram tracks.

They seem to manage in Amsterdam ok, it's just common sense like avoiding drains etc.

They seem to manage in Amsterdam ok, it's just common sense like avoiding drains etc.

Possibly. I'll be interested to see if there are any ramifications from this incident and how many further incidents there will be in future.

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

like this

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-tram-track-injuries-have-cost-nhs-more-than-1m-1-4396386

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has anyone been killed by a tram yet?

As in by the tram, rather than the tracks.

There was one death on a Tram in 2015(a 74 year old became unwell on the tram an died),  I think this is the 1st death due due the tram tracks? There has been a injures due to people getting knocked down by trams on both the off street bits and the street running bits but no fatalities yet to my knowledge.  

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-40105253

24 year old dies after bike wheel gets stuck in tram tracks on Princes Street.

Can't find the exact thread, maybe a cycling one, but I recall people on here talking about the dangers of this happening.

This happened right in front of my laddie as he was on his way to work.

Apparently the woman never had a chance and died pretty much instantly.

Hellish thing to happen.

The 'at least' thing is quite telling. For me, it makes me doubt the accuracy, but it also tends to suggest there could be a lot more cyclists who have been hurt but not badly enough to go to hospital.

Wonder when the court case(s) will happen or, if they'll settled before the court case?

More than 100 cyclists are suing the city council after falling foul of the tram tracks, with the local authority waiting for a case to come to court.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-tram-track-injuries-have-cost-nhs-more-than-1m-1-4396386

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

^^^ This

I've cycled over tram tracks everyday for the last 16 years, pretty easy really

My tyres would get stuck if i crossed the tram tracks at the wrong angle, i learned my lesson very quickly years ago when i crossed them at the wrong angle in the rain and the back tyre slid out ( the tracks can be lethal when wet ) luckily managed to hold it by doing a speedway move and i was rather high at the time.

My bike is a standard Amsterdam one, nothing flashy

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

^^^ This

I've cycled over tram tracks everyday for the last 16 years, pretty easy really

Cyclists in Amsterdam can be a pain in the arse, blocking up the pavements with parked bikes and screaming at you if you dare to walk on the cycle lanes.

Archived