Bloody Edinburgh trams

6 hours ago, nsr said:

What do they do that the buses don't? 

Go from the city centre to the park and ride without going in a ridiculous circuitous route that takes 45 min+ at rush hour.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Go from the city centre to the park and ride without going in a ridiculous circuitous route that takes 45 min+ at rush hour.

The one time I went on it from the Airport to Waverley it was unbearably slow. Should have saved the money for a bit and built a Hyperloop.

There was a document issued last year I think that talked about the cost:benefit ratio of the new line. Running it to Ocean Terminal actually had a better cost:benefit ratio than extending the line to Newhaven.

I'm not quite sure where the exact boundary is between Leith and Newhaven but it can't be too far beyond Ocean Terminal

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Couldn't they just have put on an express bus service to do the same thing? Trams go on the same roads as the buses, right?

I was thinking about the city centre rather than further out. They must go on the roads in the city centre? There's nowhere else they could go unless some buildings were bulldozed.

Couldn't they just have put on an express bus service to do the same thing? Trams go on the same roads as the buses, right?

They have there own dedicated route as far as Haymarket and then on road to St Andrew square.

8 hours ago, nsr said:

Couldn't they just have put on an express bus service to do the same thing? 

Yes, but there isn't one. Crazily, there is an express airport bus that passes the P+R but doesn't actually stop there.  

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The original plan

d3dd2726e495f246be728d3a6de1d4d7.jpg

So this new build is not even a next phase, It's completing PHASE 1A

9 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

That Phase 3 spur is bizarre.

Phase 3 - Covers ECC councillors home addresses probably,

O

The OBC (Section 3.4) mentions a peak reduction of 6 buses when the trams come in. It's not clear if this is six bus services (highly unlikely) or just six buses (per day, per hour?) but if it's the latter it doesn't really seem much of a "saving".

Is there still going to be a stop for the foot of the walk? Asking for a mate.

ETA how were they planning on building the tram out towards Granton? That road is hellish even in a car with all the cars parked on road and there is no room for a tram unless you divert the traffic or build a separate platform over the water.

2 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

The tram's guid apart from east end.

Always hoped there would be potential for a subcrawl-type pub crawl off the tram route but it's pretty crap. Maybe more potential if that loop ever gets built.

This has been discussed on here before, you can do it but it's a little sketchy.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

ETA how were they planning on building the tram out towards Granton? That road is hellish even in a car with all the cars parked on road and there is no room for a tram unless you divert the traffic or build a separate platform over the water.

Considering how much it cost them to build one tram line of about ten miles I can't even imagine how much money they'd need for an over water platform to Granton.  It'd probably be cheaper to fly commuters about in stealth bombers.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The one time I went on it from the Airport to Waverley it was unbearably slow. Should have saved the money for a bit and built a Hyperloop.

Same. I could have jogged to the airport quicker. It's official journey time is slower than the airport bus (100). 

Still don't understand why they didn't just stick a train station at the airport seeing as the train line goes through the edge of the airport anyway. 

That Phase 3 spur is bizarre.

There are two possible reasons I can think of

Firstly that's where the M8 meets the M9 it would be a good place for a giant park and ride

Secondly Newbridge is basically city limits. The Newbridge spur would give West Lothian the option to connect in to the network but they'd have to pay for it west of the border

They must be at it with the proposed plans, right? Hoping to provoke a reaction from the public so they can use it as an excuse not to build? Leith Walk/Leith Street/York Place/Picardy Place essentially shut for a couple of years would be an absolute riot. Easter Road is a shite enough route as it is without using it as a major diversion route.

I still don't understand why they don't have express trams either for airport traffic. York Place, Princes St, Haymarket, Airport. Simple, no? I'd use that for the airport but the fact of the matter is it's cheaper and quicker to drive, and pay for parking.

Archived