Bloody Edinburgh trams

Well Leith is still recovering from the bloody mess they made the last time. Also 6 million spent in street work, furniture to put right some of the mess. That will get dug up again.

I would need to be sure on viability of this before I could think of supporting an extension. Any contract should be water tight. Fixed price. So the poor tax payer does not get lumbered. Ask the people of Leith if they want this. Maybe a change in the council make up could kill this off.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Leith is still recovering from the bloody mess they made the last time. Also 6 million spent in street work, furniture to put right some of the mess. That will get dug up again.

I would need to be sure on viability of this before I could think of supporting an extension. Any contract should be water tight. Fixed price. So the poor tax payer does not get lumbered. Ask the people of Leith if they want this. Maybe a change in the council make up could kill this off.

By most accounts they've done most of the hard stuff in terms of moving infrastructure to accommodate the trams. Might as well take the trams to Leith and Granton.

By most accounts they've done most of the hard stuff in terms of moving infrastructure to accommodate the trams. Might as well take the trams to Leith and Granton.

Not much point in having the first bit, if they don't finish the job down Leith Walk and keep slowly expanding from there. The Princes Street portion was needed to make future suburban light rail expansion possible in Edinburgh because of the capacity bottleneck between Haymarket and Waverley.

Most major cities worldwide have some sort of tram systems in place and it works. Is it just us Scots who complain like f**k about a few roads being dug up ? Although i don't live in Leith I'm there quite a bit and must admit the bus service into town is great but is it the best way forward environmentally for Edinburgh ?

Wonder which major road junction they will f**k up here? Gogar us a fucking mess at the best of times without the trams appearing and causing the green light race...

Most major cities worldwide have some sort of tram systems in place and it works. Is it just us Scots who complain like f**k about a few roads being dug up ? Although i don't live in Leith I'm there quite a bit and must admit the bus service into town is great but is it the best way forward environmentally for Edinburgh ?

Electric buses are already coming into Inverness though it just shifts the pollution out to the power stations.The thing about the trams was the incredible amount of money spent on something that people voted against and could have been spent on something useful and environmentally contributing, like upgrading the Inverness to Perth, Aberdeen and Wick railway lines. It will be fun to see the reaction of Leith Walk shopkeepers though.

Electric buses are already coming into Inverness though it just shifts the pollution out to the power stations.The thing about the trams was the incredible amount of money spent on something that people voted against and could have been spent on something useful and environmentally contributing, like upgrading the Inverness to Perth, Aberdeen and Wick railway lines. It will be fun to see the reaction of Leith Walk shopkeepers though.

People voted against independence yet they are still pushing and pushing and pushing for it

If it is ever to claw back the money spent on it the Leith extension is needed as an absolute minimum. At the minute it serves virtually no one due to the route after Haymarket.

My bird lives in Haymarket, getting to the top of Leith Walk is pretty much as fast on foot as on a tram, its useless as is.

Oh and its too bright inside and not as comfy as the buses. But to work it needs to be bigger and allegedly the Leith work is partly done already.

Hope its a success to we get them in Glasgow to replace that Fastlink clusterfuck and down Viccy Road to the southside.

The vote was on a congestion related charge for driving into the centre of the city that would have helped to fund a three line tram network. Wasn't sensible to proceed with a scaled down version after that but now it's partially built it makes even less sense to stop at a point that isn't going to be viable financially long term.

Was there not a public vote in Edinburgh about the tram project? Googled it but couldn't find anything. Could have sworn there was, and it was rejected.

There was a public vote on congestion charging.

SNP group tried numerous times to put it to a city wide referendum, but got voted down each time.

I see no point extended the trams to Newhaven unless the long term plan is to have a ferry from Burntisland or something like what they do in Auckland.

Auckland - devenport? Remember going there when I was down there. The route surely much shorter than leith- Fife

Seems to have been given the green light (at least the first stage has). Certainly don't agree with raiding the Lothian Buses fund for cash to help part fund it.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/councillors-agree-to-extend-edinburgh-trams-line-1-3952805

Just moved down that end of town. Looking forward to becoming a real Edinburgh citizen and moaning about the trams in a few years time.

EDIT: Here is the report to councillors.

http://track.vuelio.uk.com/z.z?l=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lZGluYnVyZ2guZ292LnVrL2Rvd25sb2FkL21lZXRpbmdzL2lkLzQ4OTM5L2l0ZW1fODViXy1fZWRpbmJ1cmdoX3RyYW1fZXh0ZW5zaW9uXy1fbmV4dF9zdGVwcw%3d%3d&r=5589518762&d=1429611&p=1&t=h&h=825275c9cab122abfcfa7948e522704e

Archived