The price of challenging Celtic

I have heard a lot recently from a few mates of the Sevco persuasion about how no Scottish Premiership team is 'ambitious' enough to challenge Celtic and how the top league is a boring one horse race.

Now if any club in the top tier were to overspend like Rangers they would land up liquidated just like they did.

So my question to the Bears on here is, was it worth it?

Was overspending to keep up with Celtic worth going in to admin and getting liquidated for?

Should the other clubs follow this model or remain without 'ambition'?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard a lot recently from a few mates of the Sevco persuasion about how no Scottish Premiership team is 'ambitious' enough to challenge Celtic and how the top league is a boring one horse race.

Now if any club in the top tier were to overspend like Rangers they would land up liquidated just like they did.

So my question to the Bears on here is, was it worth it?

Was overspending to keep up with Celtic worth going in to admin and getting liquidated for?

Should the other clubs follow this model or remain without 'ambition'?

I just hope Celtic show the same "ambition" in an attempt to keep up with Bayern Munich..... :ph34r:

I just hope Celtic show the same "ambition" in an attempt to keep up with Bayern Munich..... :ph34r:

They should maybe look to be keeping up with the likes of Ajax before they try challenging the big teams.

Maybe a move to a better quality league would help them?

That was the game plan back when they had the BigotFest to sell to the EPL/Atlantic League/Anyone that would have the pair of them, wasn't it? Sort of a "fúck Scottish Football, we're bigger than that" kinda thing?

One of the more pleasing aspects of rangers' demise has been the effect on their former Business Partners - especially those fans who, while claiming that they are grave-dancing with the rest of us, are lost without some "other" to direct their hate against.

Cake and eat it time for the celtic - everybody else wants rangers dead*, they want rangers crippled, because if celtic are playing anything in blue from ibrox, they will celebrate humping them just the same as they would a victory against the real thing.

*One down, one to go, as it were...

They should maybe look to be keeping up with the likes of Ajax before they try challenging the big teams.

Maybe a move to a better quality league would help them?

That was the game plan back when they had the BigotFest to sell to the EPL/Atlantic League/Anyone that would have the pair of them, wasn't it? Sort of a "fúck Scottish Football, we're bigger than that" kinda thing?

One of the more pleasing aspects of rangers' demise has been the effect on their former Business Partners - especially those fans who, while claiming that they are grave-dancing with the rest of us, are lost without some "other" to direct their hate against.

Cake and eat it time for the celtic - everybody else wants rangers dead*, they want rangers crippled, because if celtic are playing anything in blue from ibrox, they will celebrate humping them just the same as they would a victory against the real thing.

*One down, one to go, as it were...

Good post.

Careful WRK, you're supposed to be a Celtic fan aren't you?! ;):ph34r:

False-flag-type-post from WRK, imo

It's perfectly understandable to believe I'm a celtic fan, though.

All you need is a mindset that says that clubs and companies can be separated, that the CAS's opinion matters less than Campbrogue Ogilvie's, and that there is a list of over 20 clubs (strangely, not listed) who have undergone exactly the same process as the thieving, tax-dodging criminals at ibrox.

Accept all that, and my allegiance to some bunch of irish history fanatics becomes absolutely crystal. :)

You're supposed to be a grown something. :lol:

And I wouldn't worry about the price of challenging 'RA Sulk - your mob threw the towel in long, long ago.

Are you going to attempt an answer to the question or just have a cry as usual?

Its an interesting sort of question, not the question that was asked but the whole thing in general. How much investment would be required for a team to at the least challenge Celtic? Everyone assumes that once (if) Rangers get promoted straight up then they'll need another few years until they can challenge them, have to assume they can afford to mull about the league for a bit and still splash out on players, but with Celtic already stocking up in young players and saving the cash reserves does anyone think that Celtic are now in a league of their own and will remain so?

I do think we'll one day see Rangers and Celtic as the top two again, but I do feel Celtic, if managed correctly, could move onto another level from Rangers and leave them behind a bit

Are you going to attempt an answer to the question or just have a cry as usual?

I'm sorry mate - I thought that was the standard you expect after your recent post. I don't think you can ask for more if you want to post pish like this to be honest.

You might get a handful of diddies and plastics along to offer you some endlessly regurgitated and now ancient gags - but not much else. Looking at the thread so far I'd say it's already heading that way.

I'm sorry mate - I thought that was the standard you expect after your recent post. I don't think you can ask for more if you want to post pish like this to be honest.

You might get a handful of diddies and plastics along to offer you some endlessly regurgitated and now ancient gags - but not much else. Looking at the thread so far I'd say it's already heading that way.

A wee cry it is then.

Standard.

It's perfectly understandable to believe I'm a celtic fan, though. my allegiance to some bunch of irish history fanatics becomes absolutely crystal. :)

Who doubted it?

WKR then, WKR now, WKR forever. Dhense will alwaws deserve a lot of credit for that. So good he named you twice.

:)

I think the real question is how much investment would it take to get a club through the champions league qualifiers and into the group stages? To be fair is any club was to get that far £10M is a fantastic amount of cash and would go a long way to bridging the gap. Obviously said club will get horsed in group games but it raises the co-efficient and cashflow for that club. I think this is what clubs should be pushing for when then finish 2nd. Even when The Rangers get back into the SPL they wont be straight back into top 2 spaces again

I think the real question is how much investment would it take to get a club through the champions league qualifiers and into the group stages? To be fair is any club was to get that far £10M is a fantastic amount of cash and would go a long way to bridging the gap. Obviously said club will get horsed in group games but it raises the co-efficient and cashflow for that club. I think this is what clubs should be pushing for when then finish 2nd. Even when The Rangers get back into the SPL they wont be straight back into top 2 spaces again

I disagree as this team will just spend and spend like the old team.

So long as they are stopping Celtic getting 10 in a row they couldn't care less about how stable the finances are.

Trying to outspend everybody is what they do.

I disagree as this team will just spend and spend like the old team.

So long as they are stopping Celtic getting 10 in a row they couldn't care less about how stable the finances are.

Trying to outspend everybody is what they do.

The fact they are already having to take out short term loans to keep them going even before a season in the championship has started maybe makes me doubt that slightly.

The fact they are already having to take out short term loans to keep them going even before a season in the championship has started maybe makes me doubt that slightly.

I suppose so but it's more their mentality.

It seems having a well run, stable football club is the last thing on their minds.

Challenging ra sellick an hammerin wee diddy teams is what it's all about for them.

I suppose so but it's more their mentality.

It seems having a well run, stable football club is the last thing on their minds.

Challenging ra sellick an hammerin wee diddy teams is what it's all about for them.

Yup while smaller cubs living within their means get fudge all. Saying that hopeful our cup runs and restructured league finishes help out

Archived