The price of challenging Celtic

One of the more pleasing aspects of rangers' demise has been the effect on their former Business Partners - especially those fans who, while claiming that they are grave-dancing with the rest of us, are lost without some "other" to direct their hate against.

Cake and eat it time for the celtic - everybody else wants rangers dead*, they want rangers crippled, because if celtic are playing anything in blue from ibrox, they will celebrate humping them just the same as they would a victory against the real thing.

*One down, one to go, as it were...

Absolutely spot on.

If it wasn't for the self-serving circus that the CL has become, Rangers' demise would have had the potential to do lasting damage to Celtic too.

Great pity that things are so financially loaded these days.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard a lot recently from a few mates of the Sevco persuasion about how no Scottish Premiership team is 'ambitious' enough to challenge Celtic and how the top league is a boring one horse race.

Now if any club in the top tier were to overspend like Rangers they would land up liquidated just like they did.

So my question to the Bears on here is, was it worth it?

Was overspending to keep up with Celtic worth going in to admin and getting liquidated for?

Should the other clubs follow this model or remain without 'ambition'?

This notion of 'ambition' should of course be so devalued as to have been abandoned by everyone with an interest.

That you still get Rangers fans on here, criticising others for lacking the very thing that killed their own club, is utterly hilarious.

This notion of 'ambition' should of course be so devalued as to have been abandoned by everyone with an interest.

That you still get Rangers fans on here, criticising others for lacking the very thing that killed their own club, is utterly hilarious.

But yet they still fail to see it that way though. Really bizarre mindset a lot of their fans have.

More wishful thinking from WRK :lol: ..Celtic are doing great financially and are going nowhere deal with it.

All it takes is one season missing out on the Big Table, Johnny - league gate money isn't gonna do the trick, is it?

Now leave us diddies to our dreams and prayers - they've come half-true already, after all...

Certainly, the " play each other four times a season " current situation doesn't help other teams ( it suits Celtic better ) as ( imo ) complacency could be Celtic's biggest problem - which would lead to dropping points over the course of a season. Take any team ( Killie lets say ), if they could show consistency and regularly beat the other teams over the course of a season, then the games against Celtic wouldn't matter as much - they could lose to Celtic and still win the league - but whoever challenges Celtic has to play 4 times and that surely gives a massive advantage to Celtic...

WRK - There might be a buffer zone for Celtic if they fail to qualify for the CL - Chances are they would still make the Europa league anyway and whilst not having the same tv cash, it should be ample to keep the bailiffs away for a season ? Then the BOD would have to downsize or spend big ? ( I know where my money would be on ) Fortunately for Celtic - the ST money comes in before the CL qualifiers so if we get papped out in the qualifiers - it's too late - The club already have the ST money.....

Do the vast majority of season tickets holders not just buy them for the CL games though? Its not as if you sell out at any other time of the season

Do the vast majority of season tickets holders not just buy them for the CL games though? Its not as if you sell out at any other time of the season

To a large extent - yes.... that was the deciding factor for me last season ( the CL ) Not sure if I will be renewing my ticket this year ( probably ) but I admit that for me at least that tickets for the CL games are a major factor.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard a lot recently from a few mates of the Sevco persuasion about how no Scottish Premiership team is 'ambitious' enough to challenge Celtic and how the top league is a boring one horse race.

Now if any club in the top tier were to overspend like Rangers they would land up liquidated just like they did.

So my question to the Bears on here is, was it worth it?

Was overspending to keep up with Celtic worth going in to admin and getting liquidated for?

Should the other clubs follow this model or remain without 'ambition'?

Rangers don't need to overspend to overtake CFC look at the quality we got for 200k etc in Tavernier Waghorn & Kiernan plus Holt for 65k Rangers made the most shrewd signings in one season ever made in Scottish Football.

Listen to what Warburton says in interviews if you really care about the strategy for what you ask and he is clear.

Your club would probably overspend if they upgraded their pies to ones that are decent, it's a bit conspicuous that you focus on Rangers finances rather than your own club who are tangibly poor and will continue to be unlike Rangers who in a couple years will be one of the strongest clubs in the world financially as explained by King at the AGM

I suppose you don't need to worry about finances at well because they accept mediocrity unlike Rangers who always want to win everything so we would think about our own finances even if we win and even if they were good

Rangers don't need to overspend to overtake CFC look at the quality we got for 200k etc in Tavernier Waghorn & Kiernan plus Holt for 65k Rangers made the most shrewd signings in one season ever made in Scottish Football.

Listen to what Warburton says in interviews if you really care about the strategy for what you ask and he is clear.

Your club would probably overspend if they upgraded their pies to ones that are decent, it's a bit conspicuous that you focus on Rangers finances rather than your own club who are tangibly poor and will continue to be unlike Rangers who in a couple years will be one of the strongest clubs in the world financially as explained by King at the AGM

I suppose you don't need to worry about finances at well because they accept mediocrity unlike Rangers who always want to win everything so we would think about our own finances even if we win and even if they were good

Do tell. How much explanation did he give? Was it detailed, financial planning showing how the board would increase income and decrease expenditure? You know, the kind of thing investors attending an AGM might expect. Or was it more along the lines of , 'We'll be back, stronger than ever. We just need to work out where the money is going to come from'?

Or was it more along the lines of , 'We'll be back, stronger than ever. We just need to work out where the money is going to come from'?

The money is going to come from the board and the fans.

Money will obviously be a big factor in Rangers' ability to challenge Celtic but they wouldn't necessarily have to match Celtic's spending to win the league.

Speaking of money, what have Dundee United done with all the millions they've raised in player sales? They should be 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the league and they're heading for the 2nd tier. What's that all about?....

You're right about Rangers not matching Celtic's spending to win the league. But what about next year if they get promoted? I'm sure 'we'll spent 10p for every pound Celtic spend' would be realistic but not what the fans want to hear.

Although I'm sure when season tkts go for £700 a head in a couple years time, the fans should work out that it all starts and stops with them.

Archived