It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Pride of Lanarkshire

3 hours ago, SlayerX said:

OK. I found this.

Unbelievable.

It's really all too believable. 

They'll never be fully appreciated by these committees etc. They have broken the storytelling mould in terms of pretty much every sitcom and I suppose the powers who be still prefer that saccharine, formulaic way rather than something dissenting of the norm in its message and genuinely trying to do things differently.   

There is no sugary endings in philly where everything is tied up nicely at the end, no lessons learned by the gang, they never get any sort of lasting justice handed to them for their misgivings or grow over the course of the series as people. They just perpetually ruin themselves and the lives of pretty much everyone who comes into contact with them. It's what has powered it for 12 years and what keeps it absolutely fantastic and original...you don't feel like you're watching any of the characters evolve positively and nor do you want to. If anything, each of the gang has regressed as people. 

That's what makes it so funny. And refreshing. Even the title, 'It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia'  has become an ironic gag as the gang are a dark cloud over everyone in philly that they're in contact with. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

They'll never be fully appreciated by these committees etc. They have broken the storytelling mould in terms of pretty much every sitcom and I suppose the powers who be still prefer that saccharine, formulaic way rather than something dissent full in its message and genuinely different.  

There is no sugary ending where everything is tied up nicely, no lessons learned by the gang, they never get any sort of lasting justice handed to them for their misgivings or grow over the course of the series as people. They just perpetually ruin themselves and the lives of pretty much everyone who comes into contact with them. It's what has powered it for 12 years and what keeps it absolutely fantastic and original...you don't feel like you're watching any of the characters evolve positively and nor do you want to. If anything, each of the gang has regressed as people. 

That's what makes it so funny. And refreshing. Even the title, 'It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia'  has become an ironic gag as the gang are a dark cloud over everyone in philly that they're in contact with. 

Very well said, and I agree with you 100%.

It's akin to a piece of advice that I read someone giving to a new writer (Which is probably the worst advice I've ever heard/read in my life), they said that a story in the romantic genre has to have an "emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending." I blew a fuse when I read this... and proceeded to rip the person apart. I am so sick and tired of formulaic claptrap. I am sick of so-called experts saying that these are the lines, and you can't cross it. I'm not the only one, I think that's one of the reasons why "It's always sunny" is so popular. Not only does it colour outside and lines and defy convention, but it also tells people that being different is relevant and it breads creativity and art.

I only got into "It's always sunny" back in April, which I'm furious about, why furious? E4, etc, play "Big Bang Theory", etc, to nausea, and yet they completely ignore a fresh, dynamic, courageous and hilarious show like this. It's criminal. Maybe it's too close-to-the-bone for the gentle sensibilities of the UK networks, but I doubt it, as we got "Oz" and "Sons of anarchy" and their ilk.

"It's always sunny" should have a bigger UK audience, and it would have, but it's been completely ignored by our networks. It's a shame to the people who are missing out on this magnificent show.

"Viceland" are showing it in the UK. Apparently it's tv channel, but I've never heard of it.

It's not the first sitcom to have unlikable main characters who never learn their lesson, they've just taken it to an extreme. A very funny, enjoyable extreme.

What other sitcom is similar? I've not come across one anywhere close to Sunny. If there are others I'd be keen to watch them.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

They'll never be fully appreciated by these committees etc. They have broken the storytelling mould in terms of pretty much every sitcom and I suppose the powers who be still prefer that saccharine, formulaic way rather than something dissenting of the norm in its message and genuinely trying to do things differently.   

There is no sugary endings in philly where everything is tied up nicely at the end, no lessons learned by the gang, they never get any sort of lasting justice handed to them for their misgivings or grow over the course of the series as people. They just perpetually ruin themselves and the lives of pretty much everyone who comes into contact with them. It's what has powered it for 12 years and what keeps it absolutely fantastic and original...you don't feel like you're watching any of the characters evolve positively and nor do you want to. If anything, each of the gang has regressed as people. 

This is a big part of what makes the show stand above all else for me.

With most long running comedies, the fact that 5/10 years has passed is almost inconsequential. Sunny actually acknowledges that the characters' dreams and ambitions are slipping away from them through the years and their complete degeration as people fits that context perfectly. I love details like the characters actually confronting the fact that they have no friends apart from each other and how their dependency with each other becomes more and more unhealthy as the show goes on.

The whole point of Seinfeld was main characters with no redeeming features other than being amusing.

I know Seinfeld always said the show was about nothing and in that way it's certainly similar. I don't think the characters in Seinfeld were particularly unlikeable though. George and Kramer would generally fail in what they did, similar to the gang but hypothetically speaking I could see myself sitting having a discussion with them in a booth whereas I wouldn't even venture into Paddy's Pub as they are all horrible people with no social skills whatsoever. They tend to ruin everybody's life they come in to serious contact with as well :lol:

"Siblings" is worth a watch. Think of a show with Dee and Dennis, but English. 

If you have the DVDs of "It's always sunny" you must listen to the commentaries, they're brilliant.

Edited by SlayerX

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Just watched "The Waitress is Getting Married"

Magnets

Full on rapist

The final scene when you see the "H" on the box

:lol:

Mac and Dennis interviewing Charlie to set up his dating profile kills me dead. Every single time.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

For the people watching it for the first time, the quality doesn't lessen.

It's a monster of a show from season one onward.

Ah now you see, I only started watching it on Friday and have blitzed my way to "Mac and Dennis Break Up"

I have to say during the first three series I think laughed maybe 5 times in total. Since then it still has been very inconsistent but has tickled me more often than not.

Series 5 has been great so far and I'm looking forward to it getting even better.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Ah now you see, I only started watching it on Friday and have blitzed my way to "Mac and Dennis Break Up"

I have to say during the first three series I think laughed maybe 5 times in total. Since then it still has been very inconsistent but has tickled me more often than not.

Series 5 has been great so far and I'm looking forward to it getting even better.

I did the same thing. I first watched it in April and pretty much burned through it in a week or so.

Really? Since watching this show I've began reavuating my taste is sitcoms. Seinfeld was always the pinnacle for me, and I never thought that anything would trump it... till April.

In my opinion every season was top-notch, and for any show that's rare to say. The only episode that I thought fell below the standards is "Frank's Brother", I think it's in season 7. But in fairness, I've only seen it once and it's a little bit different to all the other episodes.

I would say that it gets better after season 5, but I can't really differentiate between the seasons. But yes, if you've liked it so far then you not be disappointing with what follows.

I fucking love Always sunny. I got into it a few years ago and I was late as f**k. I love that folk are still getting into it just now.

I thought season was was pretty poor initially but 2 on wards are magnificent, then going back to rewatch 1 you appreciate it more.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I fucking love Always sunny. I got into it a few years ago and I was late as f**k. I love that folk are still getting into it just now.

I thought season was was pretty poor initially but 2 on wards are magnificent, then going back to rewatch 1 you appreciate it more.

Amen, brother.