The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Oh Ian, what have you done :(

Thou cannot hate the Maureen's whilst Ian Murray is in charge :(

Why would you hate a diddy Championship club when you are back in the top flight... Get intae' those cnuts tomorrow.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Ian, what have you done :(

Thou cannot hate the Maureen's whilst Ian Murray is in charge :(

Was it not Murray who shaved 7-0 into his barnet before a derby game back in the day?

#SumBoi 8))

Having watched Murray's interview on Tv he does come across well. He seems very positive and driven to make a success of the job. When you consider the other managers who were interviewed then he was the right choice.

Got to get behind him now and hope he can assemble a good squad.

Hope the Buddies go down purely due to Murray's continually referring to the top flight as the 'SPL' Unless of course his goals for the season involve taking the club back in time.

Almost as annoying as when Owen Coyle would always use the full "Barclays Premier League" in interviews as Bolton boss a few years back.

In all seriousness though, a really good appointment. Top four would seem a certainty and if Rangers do go up, then a title tilt isn't a completely ridiculous notion.

Absolutely delighted that our board have finally appeared to do something correctly in the past 12 months. The right appointment, the right time (well a year late...but business concluded early and without fuss), certainly NOT the cheap option, given that Teale would have cost nothing, well, other than about 500 season ticket renewals.

Murray is hardly the rank amateur that some of the unhappy buddies over on BAWA seem to have him as. Keeping a team like Dumbarton afloat in a full time league is testament in itself to how good a job he is doing. The main concern is his lack of track record with young talent, but then I've no idea what the Dumbarton youth setup is like. For that reason alone, if a suitably experienced number two (which I'd prefer we had) can't be found than I certainly wouldn't be averse to Longwell getting the gig. Even if he doesn't, he'll be playing a massive part in next season's ongoings as we'll be heavily reliant on him and his youth setup.

Hopefully, down to business for him on Monday. Players' futures sorted one way or another, targets identified and hopefully a couple of swift and well placed PCAs agreed to get a bit of a feelgood vibe about the place.

Also, just imagine the scenario of Ian Murray and Stevie Thompson as his assistant. Easily the best looking management team in Scottish, maybe even world football history. :wub:

attachicon.gif198788-st-mirren-manager-danny-lennon-is-looking-forward-to-his-sides-upcoming-clash-against-hibernian.jpg

attachicon.gif11191952.jpg

To:

attachicon.gifJS44609124.jpg

attachicon.gif22504661.jpg

Form a goddamn queue, ladies.

Yes it will be like a punch up at an Yves Saint Laurent photo shoot when you plummet immediately to league one

It's a decent appointment and I'm actually quite pleased. It would have been worse for us if Murray hadn't got the job because he would have been a lame duck trying to sign a squad when they all knew he didn't want to be there. Murray pulled off a near miracle in 2012-13. When he took over we were bottom and going nowhere but down. He somehow got the same players believing in themselves. 2013-14 was amazing with a fifth finish in the Championship. Free flowing attacking football and great to watch.

This season was a bit different. He insisted on defensive formations, presumably because of the 'Big Three'. The thing is we only got 2 points out of 36 from Rangers, Hibs and Hearts and took a few tankings from them. However, until nearer the end of our season we were taking points from our main rivals.

There are no guarantees in football and I do wonder if Murray has chosen the right move for his next step. He has to at least get St Mirren to the play-offs and that will be a big challenge.

It's a decent appointment and I'm actually quite pleased. It would have been worse for us if Murray hadn't got the job because he would have been a lame duck trying to sign a squad when they all knew he didn't want to be there. Murray pulled off a near miracle in 2012-13. When he took over we were bottom and going nowhere but down. He somehow got the same players believing in themselves. 2013-14 was amazing with a fifth finish in the Championship. Free flowing attacking football and great to watch.

This season was a bit different. He insisted on defensive formations, presumably because of the 'Big Three'. The thing is we only got 2 points out of 36 from Rangers, Hibs and Hearts and took a few tankings from them. However, until nearer the end of our season we were taking points from our main rivals.

There are no guarantees in football and I do wonder if Murray has chosen the right move for his next step. He has to at least get St Mirren to the play-offs and that will be a big challenge.

The thing is, he doesn't have to get us into the playoffs. Yes, we want to aim for that, we should strive for that, but he won't be getting his jotters if he doesn't achieve it this coming season. We have been skirting with relegation for years. This season our time ran out as a top flight club. We never once managed top 6, we fully deserved to go down, we were stinking the top flight out.

The BoD want away but cannot find a buyer. They made lazy un-imaginative appointments in Tommy Craig and Gary Teale. We signed duds like Arquin. We sanctioned the worst St Mirren strip since the Matchwinner bib strip. We sold our best player on the final day of the window. Rolled over and played dead against Motherwell and County. We are now re-building and re-booting in the Championship - starting with what many of us wanted to see - an outside candidate coming in with no dressing room old pals act, not part of a clique, or with a pre-conceived idea of who should automatically get a start every game. Hopefully someone who can boot arses when required too.

With this in mind, expecting Murray's remit to be 'get us into the playoffs, anything less is failure' is very hard to believe. The BoD seem to have taken a deep breath and kick-started the process of clearing out the old guard, and getting us moving in a new direction with the appointment of Murray. Murray's remit (IMHO), will be to have us competitive of course, but to clear out the old guard, bring in his own men, and to put his stamp on a new-look St Mirren, with our core of good young players being given the chance - Kelly, Baird, Naismith, Morgan, Reilly, McGinn, Mallan.

Murray will be given time. The only thing that won't see him get time would be if we 'do a Dunfermline' or go on long, long, winless runs and look like there's no progress at all. Sure, we'd all like a bash at a playoff, but so will Falkirk, Queens, Raith... not to mention two of three from Sevco Franchise / Hibs / Motherwell.

Not an easy ask.

Why does he have to at least get us to the play offs though? A majority of fans know our club is a mess top to bottom and there will be at least 1 season of rebuilding both on and off be park.

To agree to that point from the other end of it: Alan Archibald can't have had many contacts, but just about every player he's brought in from down south (or from anywhere!) for us has been really good. "Contacts" are very much overrated.

Good appointment for St Mirren.

Yes, Lex was sneering at us because of Archibald's lack of contacts in the game and he predicted that we wouldn't last more than a season in the top flight because of this.

Predictably, he embarrassed himself.

Yes, Lex was sneering at us because of Archibald's lack of contacts in the game and he predicted that we wouldn't last more than a season in the top flight because of this.

Predictably, he embarrassed himself.

You just made that up :lol:

I predicted Thistle would stay up last season and this, back to the drawing board chuck.

Lex, on 23 May 2015 - 10:17, said:

You just made that up :lol:

I predicted Thistle would stay up last season and this, back to the drawing board chuck.

What did you predict for Dundee again?

What did you predict for Dundee again?

I have no idea, I'm sure you do though.

Predicting football isn't an easy business. I'm flattered that people take my predictions so seriously however.

Lex, on 23 May 2015 - 14:30, said:

I have no idea, I'm sure you do though.

Predicting football isn't an easy business. I'm flattered that people take my predictions so seriously however.

:lol:

Enjoy the Championship, whilst our 'manager of the year' prepares for another top 6 fight!

:lol:

Enjoy the Championship, whilst our 'manager of the year' prepares for another top 6 fight!

Didn't I say the manager of the year before you signed half your players?

I can't wait for the Championship actually, I shall enjoy it.

Lex, on 23 May 2015 - 14:35, said:

Didn't I say the manager of the year before you signed half your players?

I can't wait for the Championship actually, I shall enjoy it.

Nope, nice try at wriggling out of it though. Deefiant has your post quoted and dated in his signature to the 4th August.

Archived