The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Yet another cheap option from the BOD. I think we expected an experienced man for once but no they appoint another rookie who has been scrapping about the bottom of the championship. Uninspiring appointment to say the least.

The cheap option would have been Teale surely?

And scraping about the bottom of the Championship, if you can call 5th and 7th that, is an achievement when you're managing a part time team in a largely full time league.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted with this appointment.

What would the non cheap option be? Adams!? Calderwood!?

I'm sure he's not that cheap as we will have to pay some sort of comp to release him from his contract.

At least I can't blame the BOD this time if it goes tits up!

Hat has to be doffed here, think Murray has the makings of an excellent manager. Be an interesting year for St Mirren and Murray as lots of promising managers completely flop aka Alan Kernaghan at us for example.

Cheaper than some options, yes, but probably the best one. Ian Murray has done a great job at Dumbarton so it would be great to see what he can do with a full time club with more resources. Hopefully he can repeat his successes!

Edit: Am I f**k making any predictions though. I imagine next season we will take a while to settle and I'd consider finishing above the playoffs a success. Need to focus on getting the house in order before we even attempt to reach for promotion against the likes of Queens (who've already pumped us a few times recently in the cups), Falkirk and Hibs/Rangers.

Yet another cheap option from the BOD. I think we expected an experienced man for once but no they appoint another rookie who has been scrapping about the bottom of the championship. Uninspiring appointment to say the least.

Lol. Tommy Craig was experienced...

Also easy to make too much of this "contacts down south" stuff imo. Craig and Teale had plenty of contacts that didn't stop them signing James Marwood or Alan Gow.

Be interesting to hear from some of The Sons how Murray likes to set up his team and what type of player he seems to favour?

Also easy to make too much of this "contacts down south" stuff imo. Craig and Teale had plenty of contacts that didn't stop them signing James Marwood or Alan Gow.

Be interesting to hear from some of The Sons how Murray likes to set up his team and what type of player he seems to favour?

The 13/14 season and the 14/15 season could well have been under different managers, in terms of style of play and tactics they were totally different. 13/14 was all about 442/4321 and variations on that theme and they went out every week to score more than the opposition, resulting in some fantastic high scoring games and a 5th place finish. This season they went out in a variety of formations, some of which were indecipherable, and tried to stifle the opposition, which resulted in them conceding loads of goals and scoring very few and finishing 7th.

I'm confident Murray will keep the buddies in the division.

I'm guessing it will be a rebuilding programme next season.

Depending on who is signed a playoff place could be achieved?

Dunno how cheap it will prove to be as St Mirren require to pay DFC compensation for Murray.

Edit to add: LOL at you.

If there is compensation involved it won't be much as they have yet to pay off Tommy Craig.

Murray will be on a relatively smaller salary than any previous managers, hence my remark about another cheap option.

The 13/14 season and the 14/15 season could well have been under different managers, in terms of style of play and tactics they were totally different. 13/14 was all about 442/4321 and variations on that theme and they went out every week to score more than the opposition, resulting in some fantastic high scoring games and a 5th place finish. This season they went out in a variety of formations, some of which were indecipherable, and tried to stifle the opposition, which resulted in them conceding loads of goals and scoring very few and finishing 7th.

I like the idea of going out to score more than the opposition! Truly an inspiration. :thumsup2

:lol:

Fucking hell. Where do you even start with this?

The only manager in the frame currently in work - clearly not the cheap option.

A rookie with three years experience managing at the level you'll be playing at, with a part time side and a tiny budget. He's not even come close to getting the team relegated, even when confronted with a huge points deficit when he took over.

Who exactly were you expecting?

If there is compensation involved it won't be much as they have yet to pay off Tommy Craig.Murray will be on a relatively smaller salary than any previous managers, hence my remark about another cheap option.

Compo will be at least 10k. There is a clause in the contract as far as I know.

It's also widely known that Murray was on a very handsome salary with us. He wont be coming as cheap as you think.

I don't think the English contacts thing is that big an issue now we're in the Championship - we could barely afford guys in League Two before we were relegated so there's no chance now.

Guy has experience of the league so will hopefully know a few good players to pick up. Main issue is the lack of young players he's brought through, although I'm guessing he'll have played Premiership youngsters on loan.

Could have said the same of Danny Lennon, Vince, and he won us a national trophy.

I'm not sure who would have been more inspiring while being realistic. Certainly none of the other names in the frame, by all accounts (Stark, Reid, Adams).

We are playing at a different level now, so I think this is a decent fit.

I'm happy enough with the appointment and will welcome him to the club.

At least there seems to have been a professional recruitment process, so that has to be a good thing.

Guy has experience of the league so will hopefully know a few good players to pick up. Main issue is the lack of young players he's brought through, although I'm guessing he'll have played Premiership youngsters on loan.

He would do well to get Danny Rogers (GK) from Aberdeen and Stuart Findlay (CB) from Celtic again, they were excellent for him in the second half of this season.

He would do well to get Danny Rogers (GK) from Aberdeen and Stuart Findlay (CB) from Celtic again, they were excellent for him in the second half of this season.

A lot of Aberdeen fans want Rogers to start next season, or at least be given a chance. But whilst Clangers and Brown remain on the books you imagine he'll be loaned out again. Would jump at the chance to get him on a season long loan, Ridgers is just not good enough to be a no.1

Archived