Arbroath close season thread

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUT WOT ABOUT THE DEFENSE SHEERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111!!!! SORT IT OUT!!11 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think things are shaping up okay so far. We've got the basis of a good enough squad to compete up the top of the division, and realistically the 2/3 players we need to get in who have a bit more quality will hold off for at least another few weeks to see what other offers come their way. Likewise with the loans, last season we used all 5 of our loans, and I'd expect the gaffer to try and get 1/2 season long or half season loans in for the start of the season, but again these won't happen for at least another 6 weeks.

Although it's a frustrating time of year, anyone who gets worked up and worried about not having a full squad at this time of the year really needs to get a grip frankly. We have the following signed up so far:

Morrison

Little

Travis

Johnstone

Nicoll

Gaffer

Linn
Wallace

Murray

McManus

That's 10 players there, not taking into account the youths we have who will hopefully step up this season, and out of this squad I think only 3 or 4 will be in the higher earning bracket, which means there is plenty left on the budget. How many players would we want in a first team squad this year, I'd say roughly 16, which would leave 6 places left. As I said, loans won't be sorted out for another 6 weeks or so, and that could potentially be two players there, higher earning players who we've been looked at will hold off for at least another few weeks and that's another 2/3 players there so realistically we're pretty much in the position I'd hope us to be. Why spunk our budget this early on average players to fill positions/ squad players? We've got a good few squad players in that group of 10 already, it's the bigger players that hold off/ loans that aren't sorted at this time of the year that we are now waiting on really, so there may not be much signing news for a while now.

I'd say we need DR, DL, DC, FC, FC, MC added to what we have. Out of those, we need two of the defenders to be 'bigger' players in terms of experience and probably another experienced striker in. While I'd love to have these players sorted ASAP, the chances of that happening are extremely slim, for the reasons stated above.

Basically - chill oot Lichties, if we're in this position squad wise in 2/3 weeks then worry, but for now we're on track.

BUT WOT ABOUT THE DEFENSE SHEERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111!!!! SORT IT OUT!!11 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think things are shaping up okay so far. We've got the basis of a good enough squad to compete up the top of the division, and realistically the 2/3 players we need to get in who have a bit more quality will hold off for at least another few weeks to see what other offers come their way. Likewise with the loans, last season we used all 5 of our loans, and I'd expect the gaffer to try and get 1/2 season long or half season loans in for the start of the season, but again these won't happen for at least another 6 weeks.

Although it's a frustrating time of year, anyone who gets worked up and worried about not having a full squad at this time of the year really needs to get a grip frankly. We have the following signed up so far:

Morrison

Little

Travis

Johnstone

Nicoll

Gaffer

Linn

Wallace

Murray

McManus

That's 10 players there, not taking into account the youths we have who will hopefully step up this season, and out of this squad I think only 3 or 4 will be in the higher earning bracket, which means there is plenty left on the budget. How many players would we want in a first team squad this year, I'd say roughly 16, which would leave 6 places left. As I said, loans won't be sorted out for another 6 weeks or so, and that could potentially be two players there, higher earning players who we've been looked at will hold off for at least another few weeks and that's another 2/3 players there so realistically we're pretty much in the position I'd hope us to be. Why spunk our budget this early on average players to fill positions/ squad players? We've got a good few squad players in that group of 10 already, it's the bigger players that hold off/ loans that aren't sorted at this time of the year that we are now waiting on really, so there may not be much signing news for a while now.

I'd say we need DR, DL, DC, FC, FC, MC added to what we have. Out of those, we need two of the defenders to be 'bigger' players in terms of experience and probably another experienced striker in. While I'd love to have these players sorted ASAP, the chances of that happening are extremely slim, for the reasons stated above.

Basically - chill oot Lichties, if we're in this position squad wise in 2/3 weeks then worry, but for now we're on track.

This is Sheerin we're talking about, so we'll probably sign 5 more players and that's our lot until January where the panic starts and Paddy Deane signs.

Morrison

Little

Travis

Johnstone

Nicoll

Gaffer

Linn

Wallace

Murray

McManus

You really need to calm yourself, may is not even finished yet

This is Sheerin we're talking about, so we'll probably sign 5 more players and that's our lot until January where the panic starts and Paddy Deane signs.

I think Paddy Deane would give us a new dimension up top, if we don't get Kenny Deuchar signed up I would welcome Paddy's return with open arms.... :rolleyes::unsure2:

I think Paddy Deane would give us a new dimension up top, if we don't get Kenny Deuchar signed up I would welcome Paddy's return with open arms.... :rolleyes::unsure2:

You must have put away too many Lagers in the Art Bar tonight matey

If this is what the close season does to you, might be worth finding something else to occupy your mind, Bowls, Golf or fishing, for example

Johnny Lindsay re-signed, Sheerin says he was "rash" to free him, on Gaffers Twitter

Well that's the cover for left back/left mid sorted, looks like Johnstone will be a starter, a midfield of Linn/Nicholl/Sheerin/Johnstone it looks like.

Johnny Lindsay re-signed, Sheerin says he was "rash" to free him, on Gaffers Twitter

Should be a decent player in League 2. Wonder if he would have been considered if Hammy had resigned tho?

Should be a decent player in League 2. Wonder if he would have been considered if Hammy had resigned tho?

No. Thought he always looked decent when he played but was never gonna displace hamilton even tho he was poor. Sheerin must surely have promised him a start for him to re-sign? Should be decent at this level

No. Thought he always looked decent when he played but was never gonna displace hamilton even tho he was poor. Sheerin must surely have promised him a start for him to re-sign? Should be decent at this level

I'd wager he won't start, seems very pally with other players going by his twitter, this is a safety signing from Sheerin in my opinion.

I would imagine he would have the same chance of starting as any other player at the team.

Hammy was always going to be first choice last season going by how highly Sheerin rated him. So the LB spot is now up for grabs.

Has Doris even been released yet? He still has 1 year on his contract left and i sure he would rather look for another full time team in the Championship rather than drop to League 2.

Has Doris even been released yet? He still has 1 year on his contract left and i sure he would rather look for another full time team in the Championship rather than drop to League 2.

Courier reported it last week

Archived